Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Once I received my degree, I began teaching while earning my graduate degree, which the university paid for. If you can build work experience AND get a graduate degree at the same time, I highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Yeah, not many people are up for the challenge.

Or they blow their chance way to early.

Got my diploma and life continued as usual.

Because I'm not a loser who lives from their parents pocket untill they're 22 or 24 or w/e and had a job for quite some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Åmbulance View Post
    Or they blow their chance way to early.
    It could have been a small chance to begin with.

Went to grad school, got a job a few months before graduating (finished the degree). Worked in my field for a few years (communications, at a game developer). Decided I hated it and the programmers looked like they were having more fun. Taught myself to code. Got a job as a software developer.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    hard business
    Tell me you're doing this on purpose.

If you need to take a year off from school after graduation then IMO you probably shouldn't have started school in the first place. Not to be callous or harsh but by the time you're a in university you should have at least a direction you want to go if not a clear vision for what you want to do. But this is neither here nor there.

Definitely in a agreement that you should start work right away. Basically for the reason you just never know what the future holds and having disposable income plus a job could make the unexpected that much less unpleasant.

Deleted
    atm failing collage, but I doubt even if I finished it (metallurgy engineering) I would get a job here

Was always self sufficient throughout school.

Ran out of money and couldn't continue my education. (It's crazy expensive here in the U.S.)

I toured with my band till I got tired of touring with my band.

Then I got a good job that has absolutely nothing at all to do with what I studied in school.

Just remember that making money is one thing and having a career that interests you is something different. I have one thing that makes me money and my career is something else entirely. The making money part I can do from anywhere. The career part I need to work at and be around for.

TLDR; Travel while you are young and single. The job market is a nightmare anyway. It will still be a nightmare when you are done.
    Last edited by Grizelda; 2013-09-01 at 02:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I finished school, then stayed home to take care of our newborn. She was born about 3 months before I graduated. We saved money on daycare while I looked for a good job. When she was about a year old I got a job and we both felt much better about her going to daycare at that point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillern View Post
    "IM LOOKING AT A THING I DONT LIKE, I HAVE THE OPTION TO GO AWAY FROM IT BUT I WILL LOOK MORE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE THING I DONT LIKE BECAUSE I DONT LIKE IT, NO ONE IS FORCING ME TO SEARCH FOR THIS THING OR LOOK AT THIS THING OR REMAIN LOOKING AT THIS THING BUT I AM ANYWAY, ITS OFFENDS ME! ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!"
    Troof

10+ Year Old Account
    Started applying for jobs immediately. Was until November when I finally got something, though to be fair, I wasn't trying too hard because I had put out my application for the FAA and I was waiting for a response. However, by the time Sept/Oct rolled around I had to start looking hard for an interim job.

Worked as a lift operator at a ski resort. Skied for free, but the job sucked.
    Putin khuliyo

YOLO
    snort coke, get laid This is obviously a joke, but seriously...

If you have a desire, fulfill it. If you want to travel, to see the world, do it. If @ an interview afterwards you're questioned about it, justify your actions. Be passionate. You don't even need a full year. A year is a quantity of time, not a quantitative form of 'vacation'. While you're out, keep your mind sharp with respect to your degree... books/articles, even visiting key places around the world. It shouldn't feel like working, unless you hate the area you received a degree in.

10+ Year Old Account
    i served in the army for 1.5 years and then started to work and still working.

it was 11 years ago though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I started a one-man computer programming company focusing on Clipper, Foxpro, dBase IV and Clarion after leaving school. Parents couldn't afford university for me :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Started working while taking Graduate classes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntermyth View Post
    i served in the army for 1.5 years and then started to work and still working.

it was 11 years ago though.
    Honestly, my biggest regret is not going active Air Force immediately after high school. Four years in the Air Force and I could have had them pay for a significant chunk of the education bill.

And it looks like I'll be trying to go Active (from Reserves) in a month or so anyways. Hopefully the GI Bill or something can still help me. If not, the Air Force still pays more than my current job.
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted
    Im going to take a year off when I graduate for sure. After that, I have no idea:P

Graduated college, applied to only one place five months later and got the job. It's a brilliant job too for someone right out of college (Amazon Web Services)—gives me extremely marketable experience.
    Stormrage US | Aesryn

Making a minimum effort applying for jobs. Which resulted in a couple of declined applications and and a job in the end. This took a few months, I was such a slacker at that time.
    Mother pus bucket!

If you have money, travel, go to live in Hong Kong for a year or something like that (you can get a job there ofc). If you dont, then look for a job.