Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    Raised by Sylvanas.
    That'd be the turned table of the century.

Deleted
    I've been an Alliance for a long time, my loyalties have been to the High King and to the High King only. And I too believed that Blizzard favored the Horde, that is until, I sat back in my chair, and pondered upon the question: ''What if the Alliance just isn't interesting?'' And thus, I abandoned the Alliance and swore my eternal allegiance to the Horde, Thrall's Horde, that is.

Roleplay nonesense aside though, below is a list of Alliance and Horde activity from Cata to MoP, which you can skip, of course:

Horde Gilneas invaded by Horde
    Horde Silverwind Refuge captured by Horde
    Horde Southshore destroyed by Horde
    Horde Hillsbrad Fields destroyed by Horde
    Alliance Gilneas liberated by Alliance
    Alliance Forsaken Forward Command destroyed by Alliance
    Alliance Fenris Keep conquered by Alliance
    Horde Pyrewood Village destroyed by Horde
    Horde Ambermill captured by Horde
    Neutral Andorhal conquered by Alliance and Horde
    Horde Andorhal conquered completely by Horde
    Horde Azshara conquered by Horde
    Horde Talrendis Point assaulted by Horde
    Alliance Mor'shan Rampart assaulted by Alliance
    Alliance Warsong Lumbercamp assulted by the Alliance
    Alliance Shaol'Watha assulted by the Alliance
    Alliance Forsaken attack on Quel'Danil reppled
    Horde Northwatch Hold assaulted by Horde
    Alliance Honor's Stand captured by Alliance
    Alliance Camp Taurajo destroyed by Alliance
    Alliance Stonard assaulted by Alliance
    Horde Nethergarde Mines assaulted by Horde
    Horde Bael'dun Keep destroyed by Horde
    Horde Thal'darah Grove destroyed by Horde
    Alliance Shatterspear Vale destroyed by Alliance
    Horde Northwatch Hold captured by Horde
    Horde Fort Triumph destroyed by Horde
    Horde Theramore Isle destroyed by Horde
    Alliance Northwatch Hold recaptured by Alliance
    Horde Thunder Hold captured by Horde
    Horde Strongarm Airstrip destroyed by Horde
    Horde Scenic Overlook Camp destroyed by Horde
    Alliance Garrosh'ar Point destroyed by Alliance
    Alliance Twinspire Keep captured by Alliance
    Alliance Temple of the Red Crane liberated by Alliance
    Alliance Lion's Landing secured by Alliance
    Horde Domination Point secured by Horde
    Alliance Dalaran joins Alliance and expels Horde
    Alliance Destruction of the Divine Bell
    Darkspear Rebellion erupts in Echo Isles.
    Razor Hill captured by Vol'jin and Thunder Bluff liberated from Garrosh.
    Northern Barrens assaulted by the Alliance and the Darkspear Rebellion.
    Heart of Y'Shaarj resurrected by the Pools of Power, Vale of Eternal Blossoms scarred, Sha of Pride unleashed.
    Horde rebel and Alliance armada assaults the Bladefist Bay
    Siege of Orgrimmar begins

As you can see, both are fairly equal. What the Alliance lacks, is character development, but how do you develop characters that are so mundane and generic? The game critic Yathzee touched upon this subject in one of his videos, he said, and I quote: ''The word "fantasy" is supposed to evoke any wondrous scenario the imagination can conjure, but for some reason we keep coming back to the elves and dwarves! Elves and dwarves, elves and dwarves, elves and motherfucking dwarves. Also wizards.'' See, the Alliance races have just gotten so painfully generic, almost every fantasy MMO I can think of has these races in them. And they are almost always the same: Humans are white knighty-bastards, dwarves are short bearded blacksmithy-bastards, elves are naturelovery-bastards, and gnomes are tinkery- sneakery-bastards, and these are just the norms we have begun to expect of these races, where as the races of the Horde are slightly more abstract and unique which gives developers more freedom when writing lore for them.

TLDR: Horde are innovative and give writers more space and flexibility when writing, Alliance, not so much, their races are used in every fantasy almost and are always the same, dwarves are always blacksmiths for example.

To be fair, the Alliance already has several whupass characters. Whether they get the spotlight they need or not is a separate issue, but they are definitely there:

Varian Wrynn
    Tyrande Whisperwind
    Malfurion Stormrage
    Shandris Feathermoon
    Genn Greymane
    Darius Crowley
    Muradin Bronzebeard
    Sky Admiral Rogers
    Vereesa Windrunner
    Jaina Proudmoore
    Thassarian
    Amber Kearnen
    John J. Keeshan (even though he's a pop culture reference)

And by extension, I'd probably include the Skyfire.
    Last edited by Gelannerai; 2013-09-02 at 03:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GloriousBastard View Post
    dwarves are always blacksmiths for example.
    the dwarves in the hobbit weren't overly blacksmithy. nor are all dwarves in wow BS.
    Hi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    The fact that he's dead kind of gets in the way.
    ..risen Garithos for president?

There was talk of Illidan being rezzed and rejoining the alliance. Honestly, that would massively help. c: Stormrage twins allied once more? Fuck yeah.

Kill Tyrande and Malfurion, make Shandris and Maiev the Night Elf racial leaders.

*Orgrimmar lies in ruins, the Horde is splitting apart, The Alliance is stronger then ever*

OMFG HORDE FAVORISM!!!!!!

.......?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    the dwarves in the hobbit weren't overly blacksmithy. nor are all dwarves in wow BS.
    A generalization to prove a point. The dwarves Bilbo travelled with weren't, you're right, but in the clips that showed Erebor before Smaug attacked, they definitely were, wouldn't you agree? I distinctly remember the two giant hammer things coming down and smashing that piece of ore in that one dwarf's hand, which seems kind of blacksmithy to me. They also live in a mountain, and dig for ore, which also seems like a dwarwish stereotype.

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    *Orgrimmar lies in ruins, the Horde is splitting apart, The Alliance is stronger then ever*

OMFG HORDE FAVORISM!!!!!!

.......?
    Orgrimmar lies in ruins
    Come talk to me when your city has a massive smoking crater in it for a couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by Koreche View Post
    Unrealistic decision hmm? Im pretty sure America was at war with japan, and it could have basically destroyed all of japan and taken it over... But did it kill every Japanese citizen that didn't swear allegiance to America's flag? Nope...

I forgot did the world that all attacked Germany together completely destroy the country's government and let some other nearby countries take its land because they had proved to be "evil" to basically the rest of the world. or did they take out the guys in command, and then let them go about their ways.

Why doesn't America just nuke every country that is small and doesn't have a chance to fight back. Is it because its inhumane? maybe also because if America lost all of its allies and a greater power attacked (in wows case the legion) while America (the alliance) had nobody else to help it fight it would just fall?
    In the case of Japan, they overthrew the imperial rule and established a new governmental system, as well as completely demilitarized the country, and Japan lost control of all the conquered lands. All of this is still in effect today.

In the case of Germany, the country didn't even exist in any meaningful form for the next few decades. It lost control of all conquered territories, lost control of much of its pre-war territories, was completely demilitarized, and in fact was split into two separate puppet countries.

Both of those outcomes are exclusively from this list of possible demands I made from the post you quoted.

Something along the lines of withdrawing from pre-Cata Alliance territories (and giving up some of their present territories), demilitarizing, paying for Alliance war damage, putting in a puppet Warchief, something to that effect would have been much more realistic in an actual real world situation.
    So, in short, stop talking. It's embarrassing.
    Last edited by Larynx; 2013-09-02 at 04:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pebbleton View Post
    ..risen Garithos for president?
    Wouldn't he be like a stitched up humanoid abomination at this point?

Alliance Illidan would actually be pretty awesome now I think of it, but eh... Maiev was a better candidate.

Looking at the character roster of WoW you think it needs more badasses? That's the primary character type, so much so that badass is boring and tedious.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noskillz View Post
    Garrosh dies at the end.
    Not if I wipe the raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
    Wouldn't he be like a stitched up humanoid abomination at this point?
    You cant stitch an abomination out of ghoul vomit.

Deleted
    HC Garrosh will have a phase in Stormwind, possible you end the fight in Stormwind even, that's kind of badass I guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    You cant stitch an abomination out of ghoul vomit.
    True. I always thought undead Garithos would make a fine butler for Sylvanas though.

Just keep him away from shotguns...

Quote Originally Posted by Grading View Post
    There should be a badass Gnome hero. Because the race is ridiculed as a whole (which I won't say is unjustified), there should at least be one Gnome that is an exception.

That's my two cents on the matter.
    Okay. I thought about it. I want this.

But seriously, how does one write a badass gnome character? If you make them a joke you enforce the stereotype, but a super serious gnome would just be so...unbelievable...

The best I can come up with is sort of a GoT Tirion style character. Really good at plotting and scheming, in a somewhat shady way, but still generally done for the greater good. Even then though, that is really not like a gnome at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    Come talk to me when your city has a massive smoking crater in it for a couple years.
    *cought*Silvermoon City*cough*

Though I guess technically it's not smoking, just being haunted by level 5 ghosts. So far no one has even tried to begin fixing it.
    Diplomacy is just war by other means.

Quote Originally Posted by Arayaa View Post
    Okay. I thought about it. I want this.

But seriously, how does one write a badass gnome character? If you make them a joke you enforce the stereotype, but a super serious gnome would just be so...unbelievable...

The best I can come up with is sort of a GoT Tirion style character. Really good at plotting and scheming, in a somewhat shady way, but still generally done for the greater good. Even then though, that is really not like a gnome at all.
    I don't know, a robot pilot would work fine. If they ever introduced battle mages I'd love to see a gnome flying around with a two hander. There are options, options that should be explored.