10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbyjawz View Post
    As someone on Ninersnation put it: Manningham was pulling a Harvin, I think this is the last year of his contract, w=which unless he signs on with the Niners for Vet minimum, he is going elsewhere.

If you guys cut Harvin, wouldn't that be a gigantic cap hit on top of having given up all those picks? I would eat my hat if they cut him.
    9.6m dead money next year and 7.3m in 2015 if we cut him.

BUT, cutting him in 2014 saves 3.8m to the cap in 2014 and 11m over 2 years.

So, cutting him actually gives us more cap room. But in order for that to work he has to be cut within 5 days of the league year.

https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle <good with salary stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    What? Harvin's not being cut, unless Seattle thinks his injury problems are going to keep him from playing ever again, or at a highly reduced level. Anything else and they'll stick out this bad year and have him ready to terrify opponents next year when he's healthy again.

There's some risk, sure, but a player with Harvin's ability is not something you give up on when you know he can be healthy for your team next year, even if he was a lost cause this year. That's throwing away what you invested right at the time when you could potentially start recouping on it (even if delayed).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    What? Harvin's not being cut, unless Seattle thinks his injury problems are going to keep him from playing ever again, or at a highly reduced level. Anything else and they'll stick out this bad year and have him ready to terrify opponents next year when he's healthy again.

There's some risk, sure, but a player with Harvin's ability is not something you give up on when you know he can be healthy for your team next year, even if he was a lost cause this year. That's throwing away what you invested right at the time when you could potentially start recouping on it (even if delayed).
    I don't think they will cut him, personally. Depends how much Sherman, Earl, Tate, and Baldwin want though. Assuming we don't keep Sidney Rice, Red Bryant, Chris Clemons, Paul McQuistan, and James Carpenter... it should free up enough money for those 4.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    I don't think they will cut him, personally. Depends how much Sherman, Earl, Tate, and Baldwin want though. Assuming we don't keep Sidney Rice, Red Bryant, Chris Clemons, Paul McQuistan, and James Carpenter... it should free up enough money for those 4.
    Yeah, I'm probably jaded by the whole Wes Welker debacle in New England, and how it screwed up our season (and will probably screw us some more in the playoffs) but just pray your team is smart about who they pay and keep and especially who they let walk.

Then again, I have no idea if we would have been able to pay for the depth we seem to have on defence to keep rolling pretty well even though we have so many quality starters on IR, if the front office didn't constantly make moves like they did with Welker.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pro Bowl selections made

Dez Bryant got in, good for him. From what I can tell, no real surprises, but I'm interested in seeing who people think got snubbed.

Interesting that they're not just doing AFC vs. NFC. Jerry Rice and Deion Sanders get to make their picks for each team. Weird.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love Patrick Willis, the man is a beast, and I love that his record is continuing, but I will say that he had a down year, in part because of injury. He missed one or two games, I cannot recall, but in the others, he hasn't been the Patrick Willis of MLBs this season. His getting in may have shafted someone else.

I think that Reid should have made it in over Berry as well, Berry has been injured as well, and hasn't been playing on the same level. Reid has been a monster, having not missed a start, he has whiffed on a couple of tackles, but hasn't given up a TD in coverage.

Alshon Jeffries(sp?) on the Bears also was a monster, but I am not reall sure who I would put him in over, this has been a gigantic season for WRs.

Alex Boone is another snub at guard. I know he is an RG rhater than LG, but how in the hell did Iupati beat him out? One: Boone has been destroying guys all season (hasn't missed a snap), AND he had to fill in against the Rams at LT (against Robert Quinn, the sack leader) and wrecked his day. Boone has been better in pass protection, and run blocking than Iupati at the very least, I am not sure about the other guys who were voted in.
    Last edited by Robbyjawz; 2013-12-28 at 06:46 AM.
    VanCleef wants you! Join the Defias Brotherhood and hang out on a yacht all day!

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah Willis had a down year, but hes one of those guys that gets a free trip to the pro bowl every year.

I agree with Reid over Berry.

I'm surprised every Bronco receiver didn't get in.

No Andrew Luck was surprising. His name kinda fell off the face of the earth after Reggie Wayne got hurt though.

No John Ryan or Jeremy Lane on special teams is also kinda surprising. 26 yards allowed on punt returns or something all year. Jeremy Lane is great covering punts.

To me, I have 0 interest in the pro bowl now. No AFC vs NFC is stupid, and having captains just seems like they are trying to force some drama or something during the picks.

So many Eagles snubs. Foles, DJax, Kelce.

Nick Foles got snubbed. Id put him ahead of Newton/Wilson.

Frank Gore once again somehow manages to get in ahead of more deserving players (Demarco Murray for one)

Most other positions I havent watched enough of this year to really say who earned it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jibjabb View Post
    Nick Foles got snubbed. Id put him ahead of Newton/Wilson.

Frank Gore once again somehow manages to get in ahead of more deserving players (Demarco Murray for one)

Most other positions I havent watched enough of this year to really say who earned it.
    From my understanding of reading other forums, the reasoning of Nick Foles not getting voted in is because he hasnt played the entire year as starter. But his stats for the season, despite not playing those early games, have been far better than Newton and Wilson. Oh well, there is always next year for him. He is still young. Im just glad Shady got in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Adrian Peterson's season is done, ruled out for Sunday.

Randall Cobb was also activated off IR.

Leslie Frazier is one of the rumored coaches to be on the chopping block right now. Sounds like Rex Ryan's job is safe for the time being. There are a couple coaches I'm thinking will get fired after this week: Mike Munchak, Mike Shanahan, and Joe Philbin especially if the Dolphins shit the bed again this week. Leslie Frazier, Jim Schwartz, and Greg Schiano is 50/50 to me. NFC North shoulda been a cake walk for the lions, but they really shit the bed.

Adrian Peterson's season is done, ruled out for Sunday.

Randall Cobb was also activated off IR.

Leslie Frazier is one of the rumored coaches to be on the chopping block right now. Sounds like Rex Ryan's job is safe for the time being. There are a couple coaches I'm thinking will get fired after this week: Mike Munchak, Mike Shanahan, and Joe Philbin especially if the Dolphins shit the bed again this week. Leslie Frazier, Jim Schwartz, and Greg Schiano is 50/50 to me. NFC North shoulda been a cake walk for the lions, but they really shit the bed.
    Add the Raiders coach, Dennis Allen, to that list.

Shanahan needs to get fired. He is an old school coach with a new style QB the Redskins went all in on. I think they need to hire a successful, offense minded, college style coach to really let RG3 cut loose. But as an Eagles fan, I hope they keep Shanahan and allow him to keep that team down.
    Mike Munchak is rumored to be interviewing for the Penn state job that will open up after Texans hire Obrien. I think its time for the Titans to go all in on the rebuild. Jake Locker, CJ500, and Mike Munchak all need to go.
    The Lions should also move on from their coach and probably will (especially if the Vikings beat them this week). They need someone to come in and straighten out Stafford. They have one of the best receivers playing, a top notch while injury prone running back, and one of the better offensive lines around. And yet they still manage to lose based on Stafford trying to make the ball fit.
    I also believe Leslie Frazier should go. I think he will be given another year however. With the team building a new stadium, they might be planning on bringing someone else in as a sort of package deal. New stadium, new coach, come watch the Vikings type thing.
    Rex Ryan needs to go. But he probably wont just because that organization is clueless.
    I was thinking Philbin would be gone at the end of the season halfway through the season, but I think he will be given another chance.
    Im not sure what to think of Schiano. The fans are calling for his head. But most fans do that for any team with a losing record. I think he will be given another shot. But he will probably be on a short leash.
    I also think Jason Garrett will be gone at the end of the year. Its gotta be tough for any coach to come in for that team with the owner/GM breathing down their necks telling them how they want things done.

On the other side of things. I really like what Gus Bradley has done with the Jaguars. And I think if he is given enough time, that team will be a good team down the road.
    Obviously, I love what Chip Kelly has done with my Eagles.
    Im also happy for Andy Reid. Great coach, terrible GM. Giving Reid the power to draft who he wants was a terrible idea. Giving Reid a team he didnt draft was a great idea.
    Not sure what I think of the Marrone and the Bills. They seem really talented on paper but always seem to be bad.

Anyways, who do you guys think should be the Coach of the Year?

For me, I would pick Chip Kelly. To come into the year with no NFL experience and be as successful as he is (and part of that is being in the NFC Least division), I think he deserves the award. I think it will be given to Reid though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't put any bets on Jason Garret, I think hes staying. Firing Dennis Allen is a mistake. Gus Bradly will not be fired. Took the absolute worst team skill wise in the NFL and got them a few wins. I don't feel like Rex Ryan should be fired, however he should just be made D coordinator while getting a new head coach / offensive coordinator. Marrone will stay at Buffalo. They got boned pretty hard with injuries.

Coach of the year is hard to say. Chip Kelly is a good choice if they win Sunday. You also have Bruce Arians and Andy Reid in there.

I didn't put any bets on Jason Garret, I think hes staying. Firing Dennis Allen is a mistake. Gus Bradly will not be fired. Took the absolute worst team skill wise in the NFL and got them a few wins. I don't feel like Rex Ryan should be fired, however he should just be made D coordinator while getting a new head coach / offensive coordinator. Marrone will stay at Buffalo. They got boned pretty hard with injuries.

Coach of the year is hard to say. Chip Kelly is a good choice if they win Sunday. You also have Bruce Arians and Andy Reid in there.
    Oh yah, wasnt saying Bradley would get fired. Was just saying that he did a great job this year. Same with Marrone.

And i forgot about Arians. He has really done well for the Cardinals. Now they just need a young QB and i think they will push the seaturkeys from the top of that division. Especially given the coming years where these top tier players are going to want to be paid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Reid WILL probably get it, while I think Kelly SHOULD get it.

I mean Reid failed about just as bad with the Eagles last year as KC failed, and then Chip Kelly comes in and makes that team work and takes it to the playoffs. KC had the better talent on the team, I feel, AND it brought in Alex Smith, while Chip Kelly had to make due with a banged up, old Vick, and an unknown quantity in Foles.

It's just that Reid is the better story. Last team in the league last year, to 11-0 I think it was at some point this year. I think that's what voters will remember and go off of, even when Kelly did more with less, and did it with the team Reid couldn't, even though he built it.

Then there's the fact Reid did nothing more then be a stabilizing factor in KC, while Kelly brought something completely new to Philly and the NFL. So Kelly wins in that department as well, I feel.

But, like the probowl, this will likely go to the person with the better name, and the better story even if logically speaking someone else did better.

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Reid WILL probably get it, while I think Kelly SHOULD get it.

I mean Reid failed about just as bad with the Eagles last year as KC failed, and then Chip Kelly comes in and makes that team work and takes it to the playoffs. KC had the better talent on the team, I feel, AND it brought in Alex Smith, while Chip Kelly had to make due with a banged up, old Vick, and an unknown quantity in Foles.

It's just that Reid is the better story. Last team in the league last year, to 11-0 I think it was at some point this year. I think that's what voters will remember and go off of, even when Kelly did more with less, and did it with the team Reid couldn't, even though he built it.

Then there's the fact Reid did nothing more then be a stabilizing factor in KC, while Kelly brought something completely new to Philly and the NFL. So Kelly wins in that department as well, I feel.

But, like the probowl, this will likely go to the person with the better name, and the better story even if logically speaking someone else did better.
    Agree, though I think Reid does deserve some recognition Kelly deserves it a bit more but I don't think it will happen (especially if Kelly somehow manages to lose tomorrow, as unlikely as that is).

Anyways, tomorrow is going to be a great day, just wish Romo was at least given a chance to bring the Cowboy's into the post-season which would make the Eagles-Boys game a lot better. But perhaps Orton and the Cowboys D will show up and surprise us all.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am leaning towards Kelly winning, because people do like to see turnaround with new guys on the block, look at what happened with both Harbaughs.

As the Texans have already canned Kubiak and interviewed candidates, I am willing to wager my avatar's image for a week that they hire Lovie Smith as HC. You must be willing to do the same if you take up said bet.
    VanCleef wants you! Join the Defias Brotherhood and hang out on a yacht all day!

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't put any bets on Jason Garret, I think hes staying.
    Jerry Jones is nothing if not honest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbyjawz View Post
    I am leaning towards Kelly winning, because people do like to see turnaround with new guys on the block, look at what happened with both Harbaughs.

As the Texans have already canned Kubiak and interviewed candidates, I am willing to wager my avatar's image for a week that they hire Lovie Smith as HC. You must be willing to do the same if you take up said bet.
    Wait, Lovie Smith doesn't have a job? I don't know too much about him, but given his success in Chicago, I was sure he would have ended up somewhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah, I think he got a gig in the CFL for this season.

10+ Year Old Account
    He didn't even go to the CFL, he has just been sitting at home, biding his time. As I have said though, I bet he is going to the Texans, can you imagine what he can do with that defense? Andrew Luck will have nightmares for decades. Especially if they say screw it to a QB with #1, imagine what he can kick Clowney into doing, alongside JJ Watt? I would be grinning like the Cheshire Cat if I were a Texans fan in that scenario. Draft Clowney and then get Mettenberger or another second round guy. The Arizona Cardinals and the San Francisco 49ers have proven that given a running game and godlike defense, you can still do a ton of damage in this league.
    Last edited by Robbyjawz; 2013-12-29 at 06:27 AM.