Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by zerocoolhack View Post

Case will be thrown out.
    i saw the thread title and immediately thought of this. so, is that dude in prison? yeah, i didn't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    I'd say they're outright flawed and should never be used.
    I don't think they should be either, but whether they ought to be used or not is an entirely different issue. For as long as they are indeed used at all, teaching people to circumvent them should be treated as an offense.

Interfering with national security and criminal cases. He deserves to be in jail

Quote Originally Posted by tenaka30 View Post
    If I drive the car that helps bank robbers escape capture, I am guilty.

If I help a criminal hide or remove evidence of their crime, I am guilty.

If I knowingly help another person commit a crime, I am guilty.

I don't see the problem here. He was helping people commit a crime and knowingly so.
    Lying isn't a crime.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    Lying isn't a crime.
    And using a lie detector to detect lies, or thinking it can be used to detect lies (rather than to increase the psychological pressure over the person who is being questioned) should be considered grounds to fire someone.

If they put in prison the teacher for explaining how to "deceive" the lie detector (as if a 10 year old could not figure it out after being explained how they work), it's because both the judge and the reporter believe that there is an inherent "lie-detecting" capability in the lie detector. That means they are ignorant about their jobs enough to be a hazard.

Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    Lying isn't a crime.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perjury

Which you commit if you lie during the clearance application process.

If there's anything that's a bigger fraud than "national security" at this point in time, I have no idea at all what it is. So much pretend time and mysticism. Really, lie detector tests?

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Really, lie detector tests?
    Well to get clearance you've needed to take one for a long ass time.

That's true. I'm not sure what bearing it has on the general laughability of "national security" though.

That's true. I'm not sure what bearing it has on the general laughability of "national security" though.
    Yeah which is kinda why I ignored that part. Although top secret clearance isn't always "national security", it has a lot of legitimate purposes.

Deleted
    I think the problem they have is that he charged for the information, information that you can find by googling it for like 30seconds, this guy was charging $1000 a day to tell people "its a trick, they want you to feel pressured so that you will confess", he charged federal agents $1000 for that.... I would have sued him

Anything that's a legitimate concern should not be handled with lie detector tests. Lie detector tests are just another version of the silly rituals we do in more or less every part of "national security" to make the people involved feeling like they're doing important things.

Anything that's a legitimate concern should not be handled with lie detector tests. Lie detector tests are just another version of the silly rituals we do in more or less every part of "national security" to make the people involved feeling like they're doing important things.
    They aren't solely dependent by any means. They're just one of many pieces to get it. And mostly they're just used to pinpoint areas of your life that need more thorough investigation.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Godavari View Post
    in this case he is the driving instructor not the driver.
    Not really getting the analogy. If Driving was illegal then yes he is the driving instructor, if driving isn't illegal then you cannot create an analogy and make him out to be the instructor just because it sounds similar to him instructing people on how to avoid lie detectors.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    But are you guilty if you taught the driver how to drive?
    Are you guilty if you teach someone how to clean his house?
    Same applies to you. He instructed his clients on how to do something that would break the law with a reasonable assumption that he knew this is what their reason for wanting it was.

Whilst what he did doesn't directly break the law, he was facilitating others to break the law and as with my examples, he is guilty of aiding and abetting.

The technical "illegality" is the red herring.

The problem is "Why are issues that potentially threaten national security being put in the hands of 20th century medical quackery."?

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    The problem is "Why are issues that potentially threaten national security being put in the hands of 20th century medical quackery."?
    I suspect the answer is that an enormous amount of what's done is security theater and many involved are aware of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Godavari View Post
    in this case he is the driving instructor not the driver.
    Technically he is an accomplice to fraud. Tenaka's metaphor is the correct one, as while he is not exactly committing the crime he is assisting another in doing just that. The technical difference your missing is that the crime is fraud, and his teaching other people how to commit fraud is the same as driving the car in a bank robbery (the driver didn't actually commit robbery, or go into the bank, he/she is assisting the other person however, allowing them to succeed.)

He also plead guilty, which he is. His actions are protected by the first amendment, and he could have fought it... however, it was when he actively sought people who were trying to fraud the government tests that his actions became illegal (the act wasn't technically illegal, selling it to criminals was.)

Edit: Further clarification, he would be the "driving instructor" if he taught people, who then turned around and sold it to criminals. He would be innocent in that case, but he was the one who knowingly taught it to people trying to commit fraud. He is an accomplice.
    Last edited by Jaojin; 2013-09-12 at 11:20 PM.
    "And what's the real lesson? Don't leave food in the fridge."
    -Spike Spiegel

He should of fought the case and gone to trial. Stupid for him to plead guilty in this case.

American justice system is shit, no surprise here.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Naftc View Post
    Interfering with national security and criminal cases. He deserves to be in jail
    You are a AUTHORITARIAN ROBOT! Hes proving the fact that lie detectors are FALSE AND HORRIBLE WAY to prosecute cases. If anything he's pointing out the flaws in our justice system so we can fix it!

End lie detector tests. It's insanely flawed.
    Last edited by Sole-Warrior; 2013-09-14 at 10:13 PM.

Deleted
    lie detectors are bullshit.

Why convict someone of teaching people to beat an unreliable and dubious test? anyone using the test on people needs convicting of stupidity.