Poll: Would you consider it acceptable to call out from work when a pet dies?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Not at all, if you have a day off to mourn an animal then where does it end? "Sorry, can't come in today, accidentally stood on a spider and must mourn its passing"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    You'd bully someone after their pet died? Yikes, I'm glad I don't work with people like you.
    If you take it as a holiday, sure.

Taking it as a compassion leave? Trust me I will be reminding you every time something remotely might require you to take a day off.

Your mum called just to see if you OK or want to talk? Oh man you sure you don't need a day off?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raeven1301 View Post
    Not at all, if you have a day off to mourn an animal then where does it end? "Sorry, can't come in today, accidentally stood on a spider and must mourn its passing"
    because a pet you have took care of for like 10years is equal to a spider you just stood on? -.-

Deleted
    If the loss of your pet has put you into such an emotional state that you consider you'd be unable to efficiently / correctly do your job then I think you should call in sick - obviously it does depend on the job and whether you know they have someone who can cover you etc. A day to process your grief doesn't seem unreasonable to me, even if it was a pet and not a human - it was still something that had a genuine bond with.

I wouldn't take time off work for it personally - I'd rather keep my mind busy and taking time off work unscheduled can be very difficult for my coworkers but if one of them was that upset over a loss then I wouldn't judge them and I'd try to cover for their shift if I could.

Its perfectly acceptable, losing a pet is a hard thing to cope with. If you're emotionally sick, take the day off.

Quote Originally Posted by Raeven1301 View Post
    You must not have a pet.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's acceptable to do what your boss considers acceptable.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    because a pet you have took care of for like 10years is equal to a spider you just stood on? -.-
    It could have been living in your closest for God knows how long.

Oh the pain...

Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    You must not have a pet.
    Or lacks basic empathy.

Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    If you take it as a holiday, sure.

Taking it as a compassion leave? Trust me I will be reminding you every time something remotely might require you to take a day off.

Your mum called just to see if you OK or want to talk? Oh man you sure you don't need a day off?
    You seem like the guy whos dad would die and you'd tell your mom tough luck.

Not for a pet, however I had a boss once who on 3 separate occasions over the course of a year called off cause her mom died.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Not for a pet, however I had a boss once who on 3 separate occasions over the course of a year called off cause her mom died.
    I see what she did there.

Just watch out because karma is a bitch. It's why you never lie about that shit.

Deleted
    Not a pet owner but I don't see any reason not to take a day or two off if you are emotionally deeply attached and it affects you.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    If no one died as a result of making the call then i dont see anything wrong with it unless the call lasted over an hour.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, especially if you are close to your pet(s).

They are practically family members.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    It all depends on what needs to be done. If it is business as usual, a day can't hurt. If you have some deadline or a presentation then you will have to suck it up.
    I like sandwiches

Depends on the job I'd say really.

If you have Paid Time Off at your disposal you can use it however you want...even if you want to 'play hooky' on a nice day.
    If this is the case you just have to say "I won't be coming in today as I'm not feeling well." Jobs like this your boss will usually know if you are abusing your PTO requests.

Now if it's a job where maybe you don't have any PTO, or if you not going into work will cause someone else to come in on their day off that might be a different story. You might want to rethink if you couldn't just muddle through the day at work and not be an added inconvenience on someone else having to cover you.

Lot of "if's" with this one but I'd say it depends on the type of job.

Yes, it is acceptable. I did it last year when my 14-year-old dog died, and no one at work had any problem with me taking a day whatsoever. And as a sidenote, my job is a 24/7 availability kind of job.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you are taking bereavement leave, the no, that's inappropriate. That's generally intended for immediate family only.

If you have PTO or vacation days and want to spend them to sit at home depressed, then fine. They are there for you to take off when you want to take off for what you want to take off. Those are yours to spend.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    If you are taking bereavement leave, the no, that's inappropriate. That's generally intended for immediate family only.

If you have PTO or vacation days and want to spend them to sit at home depressed, then fine. They are there for you to take off when you want to take off for what you want to take off. Those are yours to spend.
    My dog is my immediate family. I see him more than my grandmother. Animal lovers are just as emotionally attached to their pets as they are a human being, and frankly as an animal lover myself I don't see much of a difference between the two if I love them enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    yes, i think its fine. espeically for dogs and cats, they become part of the family, practically like a child for some people. when your pet dies that you've had since you was a child for 15years dies, its pretty big for most people.

sure some people would handle it better than others, and i personally wouldn't take a day off for it, but i wouldn't look down on someone who did.
    dragonmaw - EU