Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    why is this in the "Big Government" part of his website?
    Maybe because it looks like this may be ginned up political bullshit?

Quote Originally Posted by Xihuitl View Post
    Who is selling a book about it all and has a massive financial incentive to make his "case".....yeah..ok.....
    Yeah... would have more credibility if it quoted his sources and talked about the topic on the article, but nope, you want to know well you'll have to find out on my book. Sounds more like an attempt at advertising that trying to tell the truth. Kinda remembers me that episode of The Simpsons "Certain beverage is causing poisoning, we will tell you more at the 11 news, after the latests gossip" or something like that don't remember the exact quote :P

Even if the victim had sexual relations with the killer, that still doesn't rule out a hate crime.

Especially because in the other article I linked from the same columnist, he claims that sexual orientation isn't permanent and can change.

So by "Austin Ruse"'s own "journalism" it's possible that the killer changed his sexual orientation back to straight, and blamed the victim for his lapse, and killed him thusly.

I think "Austin Ruse" is latin for homophobic shit-disturber.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    From the same columnist:

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2...ew-russian-law

That and the article in the OP are his only 2 articles.
    The comments section of that is very telling. Rather than them saying "It sounds like this guy is full of shit," they gleefully use words like "libtards."

Oh, he wrote a book about it? Must be true then.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I mean violence against people who are gay because they are gay exists with or without this kid, so I'm not sure why you think it matters even if this guy is telling the truth.
    This is the important part that everyone seems to be ignoring. Even if it got uncovered that the Matthew Shepard thing was entirely made up and false, it doesn't change that stuff like this happens all across the country, even today.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

You just cant take that website serious after reading the comments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Threads like this one make you right wingers look bad. You should just stop.

No matter what the circumstances no-one should be tortured and murdered.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lostdrewid View Post
    For the love of God somebody get a moderator in here and shut this thread down.
    I second this motion.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    This is the important part that everyone seems to be ignoring. Even if it got uncovered that the Matthew Shepard thing was entirely made up and false, it doesn't change that stuff like this happens all across the country, even today.
    In Belgium it never happens in "normal" towns or cities...if it happens on a rare occassion it's some weirdo foreigner doing it. I'm not saying it isn't bad because it doesn't happen a lot here, but honestly people are acting like this is a common as daylight.

But maybe it's different in other countries...
    Last edited by mmoc6f961e454e; 2013-09-16 at 08:12 PM.

Sounds like someone read too much Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    people are acting like this is a common as daylight.
    It depends on your definition of "this". Barbaric murder and torture like the subject of this thread is rare. However discrimination, including physical harassment is not really that rare. It certainly gets worse in more conservative rural areas, but even in a fairly liberal city like Chicago there are plenty of incidents of gay people being hit, hospitalized, verbally harassed, etc.

It's not usually reported in the media, and often times gay people don't go to the police because they fear further retaliation. It's similar to how rape cases are under-reported -- the victims feel ashamed and fear further abuse if they go public.
    Forum badass alert:

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    It depends on your definition of "this". Barbaric murder and torture like the subject of this thread is rare. However discrimination, including physical harassment is not really that rare. It certainly gets worse in more conservative rural areas, but even in a fairly liberal city like Chicago there are plenty of incidents of gay people being hit, hospitalized, verbally harassed, etc.

It's not usually reported in the media, and often times gay people don't go to the police because they fear further retaliation. It's similar to how rape cases are under-reported -- the victims feel ashamed and fear further abuse if they go public.
    The problem is, making something up to show X is bad. That doesn't make me go "DAMN IT WHY THE CRAP IS THIS HAPPENING!!!!" It just makes me not take it seriously.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy88 View Post
    No matter what the circumstances no-one should be tortured and murdered.
    Yeah that is true but the media sure does like to ignore it if it doesn't fit their agenda.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murders...stopher_Newsom

Shepard?

"You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    The problem is, making something up to show X is bad.
    True, assuming that you believe it's made up.
    Forum badass alert:

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Oh, he wrote a book about it? Must be true then.
    I can't wait for it to be in the fiction section and people still believe it completely. Or if they make it, the "investigative journalism" or "political" section which either way, is still fiction.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm tall, and thin, with a bright red head but strike me once and I'm black instead...
    No idea what to make of this supposed claim. The fact is that the Shepherd case was another of the media's way over-hyped horror stories, so I'm by very nature suspicious of how they framed the case. Media can't be trusted, particularly when it comes to stuff like this. On the other hand, I'm not entirely convinced this author can be trusted either. Seems a bit dodgy at best to be publishing this 10 years after the fact.

The only people who actually know exactly what happened are the killers.

Anyone else who claims to have the facts is full of it. It doesn't matter what happened in the trial. It doesn't matter who told who what. Unless you were present for the events, you don't have facts. You only have testimonies. Those can always be false.

If you found it on Breitbart.com then the reason why you never heard of it is probably because they fabricated it.