Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Fudging facts vs a lie

Just had an idea for a fun sorta thread. I was curious at what point some people think being loose/possibly misleading with facts becomes a lie. And can you give any examples of loose facts you might give to someone to maybe "puff" yourself up.
    For example, I have a dating profile on a free dating site, and I recently started a job as a Driving Instructor..so do you think it would be a lie to tell people that my profession is "Teaching", or is just kinda being liberal with the definition teaching?

My friend does this all the time and it's basically lying and gets on my fucking nerves. Quit trying to make yourself look better and be yourself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hawtlol View Post
    My friend does this all the time and it's basically lying and gets on my fucking nerves. Quit trying to make yourself look better and be yourself.
    Haha I can imagine it being annoying, and I haven't put up that i'm a teacher, just talked to my brother about it the other day and asked if he thought it would be an outright lie. Especially in the sense of an online dating site, anyone I seriously wanted to meet would eventually find out that I was...not being really honest.

Consciously withholding relevant information because you believe that information will lead to a less favorable outcome is a lie. This is different from withholding irrelevant information, or withholding information because it's excessive (not necessarily irrelevant, but because it's overly complicated or too specific). It's a lie when it's done with dishonest intent.

Quote Originally Posted by Dendrek View Post
    Consciously withholding relevant information because you believe that information will lead to a less favorable outcome is a lie. This is different from withholding irrelevant information, or withholding information because it's excessive (not necessarily irrelevant, but because it's overly complicated or too specific). It's a lie when it's done with dishonest intent.
    Yeah I just tell people flat out. Yes I'm handsome but I can sometimes be a prick.

15+ Year Old Account
    Eh, if you do it right it can be called being vague. that is how I 'lie', you just have to use the right words. You can 'lie' and not get in trouble for it.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    "Fox News. The most trusted name in news." That is what I thought of when I saw the title. And oddly enough it fits in this thread. XD

Quote Originally Posted by chrisberb View Post
    Just had an idea for a fun sorta thread. I was curious at what point some people think being loose/possibly misleading with facts becomes a lie. And can you give any examples of loose facts you might give to someone to maybe "puff" yourself up.
    For example, I have a dating profile on a free dating site, and I recently started a job as a Driving Instructor..so do you think it would be a lie to tell people that my profession is "Teaching", or is just kinda being liberal with the definition teaching?
    If it's not true, by definition it's a lie.

Listen close, this will be the most important advice you ever get: Be yourself. Sure some women won't want you but you know what? F' em. There are billions of women out there. The second you start to lie about who you are your future relationship has no chance.
    Apply blizzards model to any other subscription service,you'd be outraged:
    Netflix adds no new movies for a year, you click a new movie, there's a $5 fee.
    You're in an accident, click your onstar button, but there's an addition $20 fee for them to help.
    You turn on your tv only to find all you get are the infomercial channels. Every other show is pay per view.
    See how dumb that model is?

Example? Sure, I puff myself up to sound intelligent by repeating this gem of a fabrication:

"Obamacare will reduce health care costs and promote economic and job growth."

Works wonders on the college chicks I highly suggest it and no I'm not being sarcastic this is actually the best pick up live I've ever used. Honest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fudging facts is done with intent and is therefore no different to telling a lie.

Fudging a fact is a lie. There's no other way around it.
    “Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”
    ― G.K. Chesterton

I'm not just a white knight. I'm a freaking Paladin.

Deleted
    If its not the 100% truth, guess what ?

10+ Year Old Account
    One thing I've learned from college: In programming, when somebody asks how close your project is to completion, you just say "90%", regardless of the actual state of the project.

If they later ask why that 10% is taking so long, blame unexpected circumstances.

10+ Year Old Account
    Deception is deception, however you dress it up.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Just put down Driver's Ed as your job description. Women make up their mind based on photos and grammer just as much men do. "I love life, I'm easy going, I'm close with my family"... at that point there is no point to the written section it's all a bunch of meaningless vague filler.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Deception is deception, however you dress it up.
    True, i'd much rather i was told the truth instead of my mother lying about Berty the budgie not dying.

HE WAS A DIFFERENT FUCKING COLOR, WHY LIE.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also, "fudging facts" on a dating website isn't a good start. It's not like she won't notice that you aren't a teacher in the sense that we use the term usually. Just be up front. A girl who isn't willing to date a driving instructor now probably won't want to date you later when she finds out what you actually do either.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakehead View Post
    Yeah I just tell people flat out. Yes I'm handsome but I can sometimes be a prick.
    Hey one of my guildies says that all the time. Problem is he's ugly as a blobfish and fat as a walrus. He genuinely believes ladies can't stay off him though. I guess the WoW ladies can't.

OT I will sometimes omit certain pieces of information and yes it's more or less a lie. Although I will often omit irrelevant pieces of information because spewing irrelevant stuff wastes time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Also, "fudging facts" on a dating website isn't a good start. It's not like she won't notice that you aren't a teacher in the sense that we use the term usually. Just be up front. A girl who isn't willing to date a driving instructor now probably won't want to date you later when she finds out what you actually do either.
    Also this pretty much. You're not going to win anyone over by lying up front to get that first date and then telling them the truth later after you believe you've won them over. That leads to mega trust issues when someone finds out you lie (omit information) to get what you want with them.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    a lie is a lie is a lie, regardless of if its blatant or subtle
    Baa weep grahna weep ninny bong.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    One thing I've learned from college: In programming, when somebody asks how close your project is to completion, you just say "90%", regardless of the actual state of the project.

If they later ask why that 10% is taking so long, blame unexpected circumstances.
    Also - you can disguise bad things as good things.

Like if you want to try and make people study computer engineering you tell them there are tonnes of chicks. You dont have to tell them there arent very many of them though.