Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Daerio View Post
    Lets not act like getting on an airplane these days has the same expectation of privacy as walking down the street.

Yes, countries spy on their own people. When they start arresting people for the rest of their lives for pointing that out, that's when it's really gone too far.

Also, pointing at the fact that airports are nazi-havens as well doesn't really support the point that the US isn't a police state. The opposite, if anything.
    Thing is with Snowden is that I believe he was revealing the tactics that were used, which if the wrong people caught wind of it, could be giving out info that the US doesnt want given out. I dont know why it was a suprise to people that there was/is spying going on, on us when Snowden revealed it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Well, for one, you're only supposed to pull out your weapon if you're ready to use it.

Secondly, he escalated the situation and went to intimidate bystanders. He doesn't get a free pass to act like a thug. The phone being damaged or not has nothing to do with it, he had no right to do that. He did the opposite of what police are supposed to do, which is defuse the situation. He didn't even try to be polite with the guy on the phone.

I mean, I'm not saying it's the worst thing, I'm saying that he should know better.
    People should know better too

Quote Originally Posted by Jayarih View Post
    Thing is with Snowden is that I believe he was revealing the tactics that were used, which if the wrong people caught wind of it, could be giving out info that the US doesnt want given out. I dont know why it was a suprise to people that there was/is spying going on, on us when Snowden revealed it.
    It wasn't a surprise. People have been touting it for years. And on the flip side for just as many years, people have been saying, "Better grab your tin foil hats!" as if it weren't actually happening.

Well, now we have the facts, and the tin foil hat trolls have simply moved on to, "Well, everybody else does it / What do you have to hide / Why does it matter" yada yada. Just slipping down the slope, really.

As far as on topic, if I decide to yell at somebody on the street and call them a dickhead, that doesn't give them the right to beat me up. It doesn't give them the right to throw me on the ground, handcuff me, or use a taser or gun on me, or kidnap me. Being that police officers are not first-class citizenry with additional rights that the rest of us do not possess (even though some people do think cops have additional rights) they also do not have that right.

If a police officer is parked in front of my driveway and I ask him to move, he doesn't have the right to get pissy about it and arrest me. (false imprisonment) If I'm filming the officer, he doesn't have the right to walk up to me and grab my camera/phone (that's assault and battery) and try to destroy it, or throw it on the ground. (that's destruction of private property)

It seems to me that the cop broke more laws on this traffic stop than the people he arrested. Par for the course I guess.

But, as usual, absolutely nothing will be done about any of this. Police protect their own, and nobody else is in a position to do anything about it.

Deleted
    I see ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with the police behavior? Unless there is some prior incidence what am I suppose to be looking for?

Here's what I saw:
    Police officer is arresting people for obstructing justice (I suppose), there is no video of earlier happenings.
    He gets control of the situation, so he can call for backup, by cuffing them and putting them on the ground, he keeps them in check with his tasers (remember he is outnumbered and the guy looks like a lose cannon).
    He stops the guy who called 911 from blocking the line. It doesn't take more than 5 seconds for the operator to report that additional units have be sent.
    Last edited by mmocff76f9a79b; 2013-09-19 at 10:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    From Wikitionary: and also from dictionary.com: For the "secret" part, I will point out that the true extent and effect of the government's massive secret domestic surveillance programs is still being revealed. But there are plenty of overt examples from the last decade.

St. Paul Police Conduct Mass Preemptive Raids Ahead of Republican Convention
    Occupy San Francisco camp dismantled in overnight police raid

Occupy D.C. camp raided by police
    BREAKING: Oakland Police Use Rubber Bullets, Flash Grenades, And Smoke Bombs To Evict Occupy Oakland
    Activists Disappeared Ahead of NATO Summit Continue To Be Held Without Charge
    NYPD Raids Activists' Homes Before May Day Protests
    8 Whistleblowers Charged With Violating the Espionage Act Under Obama

Complaining on the internet or tv is fine, but try to actually change anything, and it doesn't matter if your opposition is public and massive, or small and focused - attempts to directly oppose government policy are cracked down on harshly. But don't worry - you can always protest in one of the government's designated Free Speech Zones.
    Although I dont agree that we live in a "police state" I do agree that it is very hard to make any kind of real change in this country without gettign arrested. Sure you can protest...as long as you have a permit...and as long as you stand quietly holding your sign, anything beyond that is considered "disturbing the peace" and away in handcuffs you go.

Deleted
    Douchebag police officers exist everywhere, not particular to USA

I think that probably depends on your perspective. Snowden probably doesn't think the US is the "land of the free" any more, after having to flee the country and seek amnesty in China and/or Russia for doing nothing more than informing the general public of something that we absolutely have the right to know.

If you were a black man getting randomly searched on the street in NYC for no reason, you probably wouldn't be spouting off about how 'free' we are. It's unfortunate that the "terrorists" don't ACTUALLY hate us for having freedom, otherwise the world would be at peace.
    I dont think we live in a police state the way people think, and the NSA spying ordeal mostly upsets narcosists (they are spying on ME cause I am IMPORTANT). Still, I welcome the tin hat people and so should everyone else. Something some guy once said about eternal vigilance or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Gospels View Post
    Although I dont agree that we live in a "police state" I do agree that it is very hard to make any kind of real change in this country without gettign arrested. Sure you can protest...as long as you have a permit...and as long as you stand quietly holding your sign, anything beyond that is considered "disturbing the peace" and away in handcuffs you go.
    I do find it kind of disturbing when I see videos of protests in France, streets filled with thousands of people protesting about almost anything they don't like, and you don't see them being beaten into a pulp by the police, or being pepper sprayed down, or gas being used on them, or kettling.

Then I think, "Didn't the US used to be about the rights of private citizens, and the right to protest against our own government?" I don't know when exactly that disappeared, sometime in the last 60 years I guess. Police probably got plenty of practice putting down mobs during the civil rights movements in the 60s, and I guess we're just seeing an extension of that.

I dont think we live in a police state the way people think, and the NSA spying ordeal mostly upsets narcosists (they are spying on ME cause I am IMPORTANT). Still, I welcome the tin hat people and so should everyone else. Something some guy once said about eternal vigilance or something.
    I completely disagree with your implication that the government spying on citizens only upsets narcissists, as well. The tin foil hat people were right, I missed the conversation where we talked about that. We simply moved from, "They're obviously nutjobs" to "Oh yeah, we've known for years, big deal."
    Last edited by Daerio; 2013-09-19 at 10:16 PM.

I do find it kind of disturbing when I see videos of protests in France, streets filled with thousands of people protesting about almost anything they don't like, and you don't see them being beaten into a pulp by the police, or being pepper sprayed down, or gas being used on them, or kettling.

Then I think, "Didn't the US used to be about the rights of private citizens, and the right to protest against our own government?" I don't know when exactly that disappeared, sometime in the last 60 years I guess. Police probably got plenty of practice putting down mobs during the civil rights movements in the 60s, and I guess we're just seeing an extension of that.

I completely disagree with your implication that the government spying on citizens only upsets narcissists, as well. The tin foil hat people were right, I missed the conversation where we talked about that. We simply moved from, "They're obviously nutjobs" to "Oh yeah, we've known for years, big deal."
    That really only every existed when we were protesting the British lol:

Alien and Sedition Acts 1798- "authorized the president to imprison or deport aliens considered "dangerous to the peace and safety of the United States" and restricted speech critical of the government"

Sedition Act of 1918- "It forbade the use of "disloyal, profane, scurrilous, or abusive language" about the United States government, its flag, or its armed forces or that caused others to view the American government or its institutions with contempt. Those convicted under the act generally received sentences of imprisonment for 5 to 20 years."

Kent State, McCarthy laws, it has always been there, but it is always kept "in check" again, why I love tin-hatters!

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    People who defend the police have no ethics.

Kent State, McCarthy laws, it has always been there, but it is always kept "in check" again, why I love tin-hatters!
    This may be true to an extent, but what do you think the "McCarthy Era" would have been like during the communist witchhunts if the government had access to peoples emails and phone records? Well, I guess we're on the way to finding out.

If a police officer is parked in front of my driveway and I ask him to move, he doesn't have the right to get pissy about it and arrest me. (false imprisonment) If I'm filming the officer, he doesn't have the right to walk up to me and grab my camera/phone (that's assault and battery) and try to destroy it, or throw it on the ground. (that's destruction of private property)
    On the other foot you can just wait since in most cases a general traffic stop doesnt take long

Quote Originally Posted by Jayarih View Post
    On the other foot you can just wait since in most cases a general traffic stop doesnt take long
    You could but they didn't, doesn't mean they deserve to be treated like criminals just cuz.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    The Daily Mail? Are you kidding me?
    Which news channel would have to cover this story for it to be taken seriously? Fox? or some other trustworthy news network? lol