View Poll Results: Old style or new and updated!

Voters
4. This poll is closed
  • Keep the ones we know and love!

3 75.00%
  • Bring in the new versions already!

1 25.00%

Jukeboxes, old or new?

Other half and I were talking about an idea we had for jukeboxes a few days ago.

He's of the opinion, that's since the American market has tons more of them than the UK do, that we would have to cater to the larger(USA) market and not change the style of them.

I personally disagree, while I agree that the jukebox has been an large icon for America, I see no reason why the style can't be changed.

Since I know MMOC has a large USA base, I'd like to put it to the vote!

Would you prefer to see new updated models or carry on with the old style swinging sixties ones?
    Warriors in PvP are like small hyperactive children in a candy shop made of bouncy castle.

Deleted
    where still has jukeboxes? theres a few 60's american themed diners that have them in, but surely no where modern would have one?

Deleted
    A pub that hasn't got music isn't worth going to, and the people at the pub can't be DJ's all the time. The music has to please the people in the pub, so you can't put up your winamp playlist either. So obviously every place has a jukebox of some sort.

(from the US)

Are there wny pictures of what a new style would look like?

For me - as long as it played music - and has music that I like - im fine with what ever form it comes in.
    “What was God doing before the divine creation? Was he preparing
    hell for people who asked such questions?” - Stephen Hawking

Are you serious?

They already updated jukeboxes. It's called an iPod dock.

Quote Originally Posted by Avada Kedavra View Post
    (from the US)

Are there wny pictures of what a new style would look like?

For me - as long as it played music - and has music that I like - im fine with what ever form it comes in.
    No, sorry, it's an idea forming in our heads atm. Just wanna get the general feel of (especially) the USA base of what they'd like. Obviously this isn't entirely about the US, it's everywhere else too, but my other half seems to think that would be the main target.
    Warriors in PvP are like small hyperactive children in a candy shop made of bouncy castle.

10+ Year Old Account
    It depends on the context. The new ones are obviously superior in a lot of ways, but they're not really appropriate for the type of venues that usually have jukeboxes.

The only places that have old style jukeboxes are like old themed diners and stuff. However, I'm sure these kinds of places make up the majority of demand for one at all, since most places probably don't feel the need to buy or rent a big machine when they can control their store/restaurants music with an ipod plugged into the speaker system.

Bars and modern style restaurants typically have new ones if they have them at all, and that's fine.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Exactly Tziva, I reckon my other is assuming that "diner" style venues is the only market.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd expect to see the old style in the kind of themed places they fit into, otherwise I don't really see why the concept can't be updated.

If they turned into some kind of modern digital music box playing music off a massive list of MP3s and maybe had LCD screens on their exterior displaying crazy effects and stuff, maybe even to the beat of the music (or that's at least my idea of a modern version)... I can't really see how that would go over badly.

Jukeboxes have already changed in America, as far as I can tell. Every bar I've been to (which, admittedly, isn't very many) has had a box with an LCD display attached to the wall that you can feed dollars into and pick from pretty much any album from a wiiiiide range of artists. It's basically an internet jukebox.

So, yeah, aside from themed places, no one uses the old jukeboxes anymore.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

10+ Year Old Account
    Most jukeboxes in American bars look like space age time machines. I think you guys missed the boat on this one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    Jukeboxes have already changed in America, as far as I can tell. Every bar I've been to (which, admittedly, isn't very many) has had a box with an LCD display attached to the wall that you can feed dollars into and pick from pretty much any album from a wiiiiide range of artists. It's basically an internet jukebox.
    Yeah, they already exist if that's what the OP is asking about.

| twitch | bsky
    |

Deleted
    You do know theres prob a thousand different jukeboxes right? My parents bought 2 of them them a couple of years ago, 1 with and 1 without Ipod dock...they costed about 8000 euros each though.

I can guarantee you that 90% off those old jukeboxes you are still seeing are fakes. People who own real ones don't have them standing around in public anymore, they are worth a fortune.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    I can guarantee you that 90% off those old jukeboxes you are still seeing are fakes. People who own real ones don't have them standing around in public anymore, they are worth a fortune.
    Well, yeah, they're reproductions, but I don't think that matters since the OP is talking about looks/functionality. Even modern reproductions of old jukeboxes still function very similar to how the old ones do, at least on the user interaction level. You don't see them with LED screens and a limitless selection of music.

| twitch | bsky
    |

Deleted
    A jukebox in a pub needs to be sturdy, it needs to be usable by the public by inserting coins (or maybe notes), it needs to be flashy and light up so it's seen clearly by people, and it needs to have clear song lists, preferably with album covers. It also needs to be very easy to use for drunk people to be able to use it. The older jukeboxes do this just fine.

Also, you can't have an iPod dock in the jukebox so that your iPod is in any way accessible by the public, and obviously if it requires an iPod, you're stuck with Apple crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    A jukebox in a pub needs to be sturdy, it needs to be usable by the public by inserting coins (or maybe notes), it needs to be flashy and light up so it's seen clearly by people, and it needs to have clear song lists, preferably with album covers. It also needs to be very easy to use for drunk people to be able to use it. The older jukeboxes do this just fine.

Also, you can't have an iPod dock in the jukebox so that your iPod is in any way accessible by the public, and obviously if it requires an iPod, you're stuck with Apple crap.
    All it needs is a decent user interface (touchscreen), a payment method (dollar bill slot), and a good selection of music. Old style jukeboxes take up a lot of floor space and have a lot of bright, flashy BS. The newer, wall-mounted touchscreen jukeboxes > the old ones.

Unless, of course, people in Finland like to smash things in pubs when they get drunk.
    Last edited by Belloc; 2013-09-20 at 08:09 PM.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    Unless, of course, people in Finland like to smash things in pubs when they get drunk.
    Indeed. We smash things drunk and sober, and not just things, people too.