Thread: Purebred dog?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Purebred dog?

If a Labrador retriever is not crossed with a different breed, does that mean it's purebred? Some of the ads mention that the Lab is purebred and some don't. When I mentioned getting the Lab to someone, they brought up the fact that purebreds often have more health issues, which I know, but wasn't exactly sure if a dog is purebred just because it isn't crossed with a different breed. The following link is an example of one of the dogs I was looking at -

http://centralny.ebayclassifieds.com...sg=OUT_OF_AREA

Edit:
    Thoughts about buying from a breeder vs. owner?

Don't buy, adopt from animal shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by Tulune View Post
    Not always a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Not always a good idea.
    It's always the best idea.

Quote Originally Posted by DrStiglit View Post
    It's a terrible idea if its your first dog, or you don't know how to handle and train a dog, shelter dogs will always have more issues than a puppy. If you aren't prepared to handle these issues do yourself and that dog a favor and don't get yourself in above your head.

Not really.
    I am not against it, just sometimes you may not wan't a mix breed with no papers.

Unless you get it from a breeder that gives you an official pedigree (ie the dog's family tree) you can't be sure it's purebred. I guess if you have a good eye you can tell though? If you really want a purebred then I think breeder is the best option.

If you're concerned about health issues you should research the specific breeds you're interested in, it varies from breed to breed (and might depend on bloodline). Good breeders work hard to exclude certain well known congenital defects from their breeding stock's gene pool and have information on that. Plus they have intimate experience with the dog's parents and siblings so if anyone would know about health issues they would. Even if you don't end up buying a purebred it's a great idea to talk to breeders about it.

Adopting a dog is certainly great in that you're rescuing the dog from possibly being put to sleep, though bear in mind that the dog's heritage, background and behavioural history may be unknown. It's just a risk you have to take if you want to adopt.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by phred754 View Post
    It's a terrible idea if its your first dog, or you don't know how to handle and train a dog, shelter dogs will always have more issues than a puppy. If you aren't prepared to handle these issues do yourself and that dog a favor and don't get yourself in above your head.
    Not always, but yeah there is probably a higher risk of complications or behavioural issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Not always a good idea.
    I wouldn't really mind doing it, but I still live with my parents while going to school and they don't really even want a dog to begin with. I have definitely thought it, but I don't need any problems with a dog. My mother thinks the dog is going to jump around and knock her over and as basically afraid it's just going to be awful. Dad.. He's doesn't mind as much. If I was moving out anytime in the near future, I could probably do it. But, I have epilepsy and the docs still can't figure it out (an answer), so I'm probably going to be here for at least a few years. So, a dog with possible problems from the beginning.. Not really even if I wanted to. I'll be buying from a breeder or owner.

Edit: This is a first dog. Been around them forever, but never raised one

That's like saying it's always better to adopt a child than to have your own.. it's apples and oranges but it's the same concept.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

10+ Year Old Account
    I prefer to buy dogs that have been with their mother for at least 8 weeks, raised by competent owners/breeders I trust.

Quote Originally Posted by phred754 View Post
    Not always. My girlfriends purebred yorkie has been to the vet 3 times this month. I adopted a "maltese" that is about 4 years old and is amazing. He is housebroken and perfectly well behaved and has only been to the vet for his vaccines..

Also, no matter what you are doing that dog a favor since you are probably saving it from death.

- - - Updated - - -

Not really.
    I am not against it, just sometimes you may not wan't a mix breed with no papers.
    If you really want a prebred sure.. But unless you plan on breeding or doing shows, there really isn't a point.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by -Skye View Post
    That's like saying it's always better to adopt a child than to have your own.. it's apples and oranges but it's the same concept.
    No, no matter which way you do it, you are adopting the animal. It's more of deciding if you want to adopt the child from the rich parents or adopt the homeless child..

So not even close to the same concept.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lbueno View Post
    I wouldn't really mind doing it, but I still live with my parents while going to school and they don't really even want a dog to begin with. I have definitely thought it, but I don't need any problems with a dog. My mother thinks the dog is going to jump around and knock her over and as basically afraid it's just going to be awful. Dad.. He's doesn't mind as much. If I was moving out anytime in the near future, I could probably do it. But, I have epilepsy and the docs still can't figure it out (an answer), so I'm probably going to be here for at least a few years. So, a dog with possible problems from the beginning.. Not really even if I wanted to. I'll be buying from a breeder or owner.

You can adopt puppies too.. Then it's the same thing, it will all be based on you raise and train them.

If a Labrador retriever is not crossed with a different breed, does that mean it's purebred? Some of the ads mention that the Lab is purebred and some don't. When I mentioned getting the Lab to someone, they brought up the fact that purebreds often have more health issues, which I know, but wasn't exactly sure if a dog is purebred just because it isn't crossed with a different breed. The following link is an example of one of the dogs I was looking at -

Edit:
    What happened with these dogs is that the Sire is from AKC champion bloodlines, the dam is most likely not registered and that is why the litter is ACA registered and not AKC, AKC has strict guidelines on litters that can register with their kennel club. The pups LOOK purebred (a purebred lab crossed w/a purebred lab), but without knowing more about the mother/testing the puppies it's hard to tell. If they are mixed breed then $400 is very high for a mix. ACA registration means nothing, anyone can register with them. This looks like a "backyard breeder" situation.

Mixed breeds can be healthier but some are not, some purebreds are bred for health although far more breed for looks.

And yes, GO RESCUE if you can, over 50% of dogs in the US and 70% of cats that end up at shelters are euthanized due to not enough people adopting. We need more people who are willing to adopt

Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    I prefer to buy dogs that have been with their mother for at least 8 weeks, raised by competent owners/breeders I trust.
    That seems to be the set time that owners/breeders take before they sell their pups.

This part doesn't have anything to do with your quote, just putting it out - I'd rather not have a purebred. So, I'm trying to find a Lab that isn't a purebred.

Thank you Celista ^
    Last edited by Lbueno; 2013-09-26 at 02:45 AM.

Risk of older ( > 7 months) shelter dog - you miss the socialization timeframe.

Depends on the size of the dog if it is your first. Big dogs have little behavior issues that seem bigger just do to size. Little pulling dog is like meh. If my 50lb extremely athletic mix pulls towards something, well it's easy to deal with if I have the good treats on hand otherwise I'm glad I'm not a little person.

Edit:
    A purebred dog is one that is not mixed, hence the words "pure bred". Purebreds having more health issues is a myth. All breeds have certain health issues, mixing them doesn't magically remove those issues.

If a person has bred their dogs, they have become a breeder. Whether they have one litter a year or 20, they are still breeding.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tulune View Post
    I hate when people try to guilt-trip this concept. It's so low.

OT: Purebred health problems is not necessarily true depending on breed, and even less of a reality in labs. Only one of have seen in labs was mild vision loss when they get REALLY OLD, but this happens to many dogs.

Thoroughly inspect the father and mother. If the breeders won't let you see the father, I would give them the finger.

Basically, check the parents for their temperament, aggression, and things like that. Regardless of what some owners want you to think, these things do get passed down in genetics. It's scientific fact and has been proven.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    And yes, GO RESCUE if you can, over 50% of dogs in the US and 70% of cats that end up at shelters are euthanized due to not enough people adopting. We need more people who are willing to adopt
    I am looking at the adoption possibilities around. With my mother being so fearful of getting a dog, that's why I'm leaning toward an owner/breeder.

Growing up, I had two back to back beagles. Pure bred. Both were wonderful dogs, though dog # 2 was an amazing animal. My wife got a puppy from the pound as a Christmas gift. One of the sweetest dogs you'd ever want to meet. We have two dogs atm, both rescue dogs, and American Shepard-mix and a pure bred rat terrier. Both dogs are great pets.

The moral here is that papers don't make the dog: The dog makes the dog. Pure or mixed, either can be a great pet. Papers only matter for breeding and for shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    I hate when people try to guilt-trip this concept. It's so low.

OT: Purebred health problems is not necessarily true depending on breed, and even less of a reality in labs. Only one of have seen in labs was mild vision loss when they get REALLY OLD, but this happens to many dogs.

Thoroughly inspect the father and mother. If the breeders won't let you see the father, I would give them the finger.

Basically, check the parents for their temperament, aggression, and things like that. Regardless of what some owners want you to think, these things do get passed down in genetics. It's scientific fact and has been proven.
    I wasn't guilt tripping at all. I admit I was going by my own personal experiences though. Most of the dogs we had growing up were either from a shelter or a mixed litter from a friend/neighbor, and every one of them were great dogs. I just don't see the need to get pure bred expensive dogs when there are other options.

Here's the simplest solution to your problem:
    Do not get a dog.

Seriously. You'll put the dog in a life with one person who's afraid of the poor creature, another person who doesn't really care, and the one person who does care is away at school most of the day, so does not have the time for necessary things. You know; like teaching your dog toilet manners. Taking the dog for walks. Teaching the dog games. Making sure the puppy doesn't get terribly bored out of it's mind.

Seriously; what kind of home can you offer a dog?