Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LummyBear View Post
    I've got over 2000 hours recorded on cod:uo, that never had unlocks and that sure beats the hell out of any game with them.
    Still, a lot of player do like something do unlock... to have some kind of progression.. sure it doesn't apply to everyone but it seems to a lot of player

Quote Originally Posted by Lostprophet View Post
    And don't forget, it is "us" who wants such things like unlocks... People like to "progress", even now in FPS-Games.
    While i do want the old system back its not the major problem i have nowadays with modern FPS games. The no skill level up system is my biggest concern with modern FPS online games. Where no matter how god fucking awfull you are at the game you earn experience and unlock things or rank up. Iv always been a subscriber to the rule you should earn your rank or unlocks, If you go into a game and suck ass the whole game and play like shit you should earn expereince no matter how little, you should regress, you should have to earn you rank not eventually get it by playing.

Still, a lot of player do like something do unlock... to have some kind of progression.. sure it doesn't apply to everyone but it seems to a lot of player
    Tons of people like justin beiber is that right?
    Last edited by Zeta333; 2013-09-27 at 10:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Tons of people like justin beiber does that its right?
    Yes it does, that's their opinion and their entitled to it. If they like Justin Bieber who are you tell them they're not allowed to like him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ineko View Post
    I enjoy the leveling system, getting to use every gun in the game, changing attachments as you unlock them to see which ones are better or worse, which ones you enjoy using. I believe it has a positive impact on enjoyment, and it hardly effects balance.
    How exactly having an artificial progression with no other purpose than to lock players out has positive effect unless you have some sort of "need" to have unlocks irrelevant to the game in larger scope?

Every gun is viable, if you can't use a single gun that you have unlocked at any one time effectively I'd suggest you either practice, or just stop playing. In fact you usually get some of the best guns in the game straight away, M16A3 in BF3 for example, low recoil, decent range, decent damage, a good all-rounder.
    Overall gun viability is not concern of mine, M16A3 could be the best weapon for all I care and it would still be dull.

The achievement type system, in my opinion, is a good thing. Especially for the weapons that are hard to unlock. Usually you find in BF3 you can get a lot of guns without leveling but completing certain challenges, like getting a certain amount of kills with an air-dropped IFV, it gives you a sense of achievement. "Hey I earned that, cool"
    Even rudimentary achievement system would be able to represent this and regardless, why do you need system like this to glorify it? Do you feel you'd have achieved less if you didn't get sparkles and pretties for it?

These hoops you speak of are almost non-existent, the time it takes to unlock 100% of the guns in BF3 is like ~20 hours played. That's not much time at all.
    I have checked most of the unlocks that are bound to level and I estimated that it takes roughly 50 hours to get to a point I'd get to use gun I'd like assuming the leveling curve remains roughly the same, a time investment that is simply ridiculous for this sort of game.

Your sig tells me that you have a distaste for most modern gaming, so I'm just going to stop here, I can't change your mind.
    My sig has nothing to do with modern games per se, it's to do with apologists who view that every change in modern game is change for better, regardless of how shit it is.

You're just being ignorant. But hey, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it, no matter how ignorant of an opinion it is I can't stop you from having it.
    You call me ignorant, yet you post shit like this:

"Don't blame the attachments and the guns. If you're not a horrible player you can still destroy with a barebones assault rifle. Stop making excuses."

With a little usage of brain matter you'd have come into conclusion that issue overall is not about how capable one is in "destroying".

Quote Originally Posted by Lostprophet View Post
    Progression of this sort is nice when it's justified with deeper in game implications and supporting systems, like in RPG. Leveling system in FPS games like Battlefield only exist to feed off the OCD of getting everything and having next reward just the next corner, trying to lock player into this mental hamster wheel.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    you have some sort of "need" to have unlocks irrelevant to the game in larger scope?
    i do

Even rudimentary achievement system would be able to represent this and regardless, why do you need system like this to glorify it? Do you feel you'd have achieved less if you didn't get sparkles and pretties for it?
    yes

I have checked most of the unlocks that are bound to level and I estimated that it takes roughly 50 hours to get to a point I'd get to use gun I'd like assuming the leveling curve remains roughly the same, a time investment that is simply ridiculous for this sort of game.
    it takes me ~4h to unlock everything for assault and it is most expensive score wise class to max
    to reach lvl 45 i need ~30h

my SPM as i said before is low ~900

Progression of this sort is nice when it's justified with deeper in game implications and supporting systems, like in RPG. Leveling system in FPS games like Battlefield only exist to feed off the OCD of getting everything and having next reward just the next corner.
    i like it

10+ Year Old Account
    Blah blah blah.
    I like the progression system, many other people like the progression system, you don't. Simple.

Artificial or not it makes me, and others feel like we have achieved something, it's a game, everything is artificial. How you enjoy it is up to you, whether or not you enjoy is up to you.

Progression of this sort is nice when it's justified with deeper in game implications and supporting systems, like in RPG. Leveling system in FPS games like Battlefield only exist to feed off the OCD of getting everything and having next reward just the next corner, trying to lock player into this mental hamster wheel.
    Locked into a mental hamster wheel? It only takes a few hours to unlock everything, that's hardly being locked into a mental hamster wheel.

I decree that this will take EXACTLY 50 hours, why? because I'm start that's why! Okay, stop with the bullshit, with a average SPM no gun will take you 50 hours to unlock.

Also, 50 hours too much of a time investment? You won't even know the maps well enough to plan strategically after 50 hours, let alone be accustomed to all of the games quirks. Games like these require hundreds of hours of time investment. Ah the life of a casual gamer. Which I have no problem with, but please don't complain when you think a measly 50 hours is too much for your schedule, if you've got things to do, do them. It's just a game, you don't need that extra gun. "Oh but I can't get the gun I want straight away, poor me, I don't have the time to invest!"

I'm at a loss for words, I don't even know what else to say. You obviously don't like the progression system because you feel as if you deserve all the weapons and attachments the second you start the game. The vast majority of people are pleased the with the current system, so what if it's artificial and fake. People enjoy it, why change it? It just works.

Quote Originally Posted by Ineko View Post
    I'm at a loss for words, I don't even know what else to say. You obviously don't like the progression system because you feel as if you deserve all the weapons and attachments the second you start the game.
    No, I simply believe that progression system as this simply has no place in game like Battlefield.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    I hit starter equipment and still carry the team to its win. Unlocks are a gimmick, unless you are a sniper. I like unlocks and so many other players do as well. If you are looking for a competitive play where everything is equal, then there are other games to support your game play.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, I simply believe that progression system as this simply has no place in game like Battlefield.
    Does it belong in any fps? I've found that they seem to add leveling systems to almost every game these days. Even starcraft got one...

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    Does it belong in any fps? I've found that they seem to add leveling systems to almost every game these days. Even starcraft got one...
    It can belong to if it fits the context and has a real game-relevant system built around it rather than just being fluff for fluffs sake. Borderland for example as an hybrid FPS/RPG has it's systems built around leveling.

The way the weapons act [...] definatly looks fake.
    you mean like if it was a GAME? also, lol @ definatly. i'm always suprised how many ways people find to write that word.

10+ Year Old Account
    While i do want the old system back its not the major problem i have nowadays with modern FPS games. The no skill level up system is my biggest concern with modern FPS online games. Where no matter how god fucking awfull you are at the game you earn experience and unlock things or rank up. Iv always been a subscriber to the rule you should earn your rank or unlocks, If you go into a game and suck ass the whole game and play like shit you should earn expereince no matter how little, you should regress, you should have to earn you rank not eventually get it by playing.
    If you are an awful player, you will be awful with the unlocks anyway, so to be honest id much rather have unlocks available through a grind rather then based on skill. A good player will be even better with the unlocks rendering newbies useless in a team play (well bullet, nades still hurt, even starter packages).

However, custom skins which do not affect anyone's playstyles (you could argue camouflage advantage). The higher the rating/skill you have, the better cosmetics you would unlock to show your epeen, even titles would be rather cool.

Id love to see MMR/Skill based system in BF4 which would give you cosmetic unlocks for both ingame and your actual battlelog profile.

Here is an example:

[Click to Enlarge]

do I have to re buy battlefield premium for this game

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    do I have to re buy battlefield premium for this game
    Yes, if you wish to have the premium advantages in BF4, you will need to get the premium for that specific release as BF3's premium won't carry over (wtb upgrade packs...).

If you have BF3 premium you will get the Beta access for BF4 on the 1st of October.
    -K

Deleted
    Pre-load of the beta should start right about now, get your clients ready!

Quote Originally Posted by Suprm View Post
    Yes, if you wish to have the premium advantages in BF4, you will need to get the premium for that specific release as BF3's premium won't carry over (wtb upgrade packs...).

If you have BF3 premium you will get the Beta access for BF4 on the 1st of October.
    damn that sucks, why dont I just give EA my house and my entire life savings while im at it

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    damn that sucks, why dont I just give EA my house and my entire life savings while im at it
    overdramatic. a premium is like a season pass of sort, you can play the base game or buy the DLC one by one. Or play an entire game altogether. I think you might maybe find a way to keep your house and your entire life saving after all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Finear View Post
    if you start moving it stops working
    Does this include using my mouse to look around?

Deleted
    I'm glad that they are toning down the ridiculous sun glare. Ever played TDM on Damavand peak? that shit is horrific..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by detri View Post
    I'm glad that they are toning down the ridiculous sun glare. Ever played TDM on Damavand peak? that shit is horrific..
    My biggest anoyance was the screen shaking. Conquest Large 64 players in Metro. War of the stairs.
    Had some fun tubing there too

Anyway, 9 hours till Closed Beta
    CANT
    WAIT