Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Well clearly it's because they're irrational, but it defeats the purpose if I hand them the answer. The idea is to get them to examine their view and come to that understanding on their own.
    What exactly is irrational about acknowledging a natural emotional attachment to an animal that has specifically evolved to generate those exact same emotional attachments?

But you know, misunderstood sociopaths are the hip cool thing right now, so yeah...
    "Stop being a giant trolling asshole." - Boubouille
    "The Internet is built on complaints about asinine things" - prefect
    "Facts became discussable when critical thinking stopped being the focus of education."- Chonogo
    "Sometimes people confuse "We Don't Understand This Yet" with "Ooga Booga Space Magic" - Chazus

Quote Originally Posted by Urti View Post
    What exactly is irrational about acknowledging a natural emotional attachment to an animal that has specifically evolved to generate those exact same emotional attachments?

But you know, misunderstood sociopaths are the hip cool thing right now, so yeah...
    Well, it is an alternative and worth suggesting. It's not like they have to go along with it. It's certainly a better alternative to leaving it in the middle of the road.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Deleted

Having an emotional attachment to a pet or a companion, or a human being - a friend, relative, and so on - is perfectly fine, natural, and even expected.

Having an emotional attachment to a corpse isn't.

Holy shit, some of the comments on here are vile and inhumane. People have deep connections with pets. As for OP, best bet is to wait it out and get the dog cremated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Acknowledging that you have an emotional attachment to it isn't irrational, it's accurate. It's the part where you're concerned about the dignity of a pile of matter that used to be the thing you cared about, but no longer is.
    I am of the opinion that you should respect things you want respected. If your pet died and you put it in a dumpster because you didn't see it as your pet anymore, that's fine. That's up to you to do. But if my pet died and someone suggested I put it in a dumpster, I'd ask them if they were daft. I feel like that's disrespectful to the memory of the pet, partially because people (not just myself) are fairly possessive of their pets and even their loved ones upon death - probably them just reflecting their own thoughts onto the body, but still, it's a very strong feeling that you can't just quash.

I'd rather have it cremated (and preserved to keep in my home or whatever) or placed in the woods to be fed on, or in the ground to be fed on, depending on the person. I, personally, would do any of the three depending. But a fucking dumpster? Way to waste it.

And, question: why is the dead animal a thing you USED to like but is no longer the thing you liked? Once it dies, it's still that animal's body. Why does it suddenly make a transformation upon death? I understand the thought process of it not being alive anymore so it's of no use to you, I guess, but it's still that animal. Just, you know, dead.
    Last edited by Viscoe; 2013-09-26 at 08:04 PM.
    Pokemon FC: 5112-3501-2407 Trainer: Oli FS: Viscoe - Farfetch'd/Hoothoot/Rufflet - Currently Full, DO NOT ADD
    Secondary 3DS: 3668-8923-2263 FS: Slider - Phanpy/Camerupt/Diggersby

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Having an emotional attachment to a pet or a companion, or a human being - a friend, relative, and so on - is perfectly fine, natural, and even expected.

Having an emotional attachment to a corpse isn't.
    Right. And culturally most western societies have used the treatment of remains as a way of acknowledging that connection and initiating the grieving process. What some people aren't understanding isn't an emotional attachment to a corpse, but that the funerary act itself is about the living. It is often a way to facilitate the process of moving on past an emotional trauma. But too many people skip right past that in an attempt to play the part of the aloof and distant intellectual, ie Let's speak condescendingly of others while I pretend to be Dexter/Spock/Sheldon/whatever.

Please stop using words you don't understand. Disagreeing with social tradition derived from emotional shortcomings is not a criteria for sociopathy. At this point we may as well coin the Second Law of Godwin that as a thread grows longer, the chances of someone being accused of psychopathy or sociopathy approaches one.

Acknowledging that you have an emotional attachment to it isn't irrational, it's accurate. It's the part where you're concerned about the dignity of a pile of matter that used to be the thing you cared about, but no longer is.
    Don't make assumptions about what I do or don't understand. I understand that a lot of people like to play up some kind of image online that they are some how higher than emotions; That they have somehow evolved past such "shortcomings" as attachment and involvement or whatever, and function on pure logic like some kind of vulcan. What I claimed was that such behavior is an attempt at roleplay, to cultivate a self-image derived from pop-culture depictions of sociopathy. Like the previously mentioned Dexter/Spock/Sheldon trinity that so many internet peeps seem bound and determined to emulate, cause it's "cool" to be emotionally damaged currently.
    Last edited by Urti; 2013-09-26 at 08:08 PM.
    "Facts became discussable when critical thinking stopped being the focus of education."- Chonogo
    "Sometimes people confuse "We Don't Understand This Yet" with "Ooga Booga Space Magic" - Chazus

10+ Year Old Account
    I will absolutely think less of others for wasting an animal's remains by dumping it in the garbage. Just like I think less of people who die and don't donate their perfectly healthy organs. Because you're totally in that thread, as well. :P

You missed my edit, though, Nixx - the reason people are attached to the body of a dead pet or loved one is, admittedly, illogical, but it's hard to quash that emotion. You can't just snap your fingers and turn it off. To someone who loves their pet, and their pet's memory, it is horrific to suggest that they just dump what used to be their friend into the garbage. Logically, you can make a clear disconnect between a corpse and its previous brain activity. But emotionally, it is VERY DIFFICULT to sever the connection.
    Pokemon FC: 5112-3501-2407 Trainer: Oli FS: Viscoe - Farfetch'd/Hoothoot/Rufflet - Currently Full, DO NOT ADD

Deleted
    Right. And culturally most western societies have used the treatment of remains as a way of acknowledging that connection and initiating the grieving process. What some people aren't understanding isn't an emotional attachment to a corpse, but that the funerary act itself is about the living. It is often a way to facilitate the process of moving on past an emotional trauma. But too many people skip right past that in an attempt to play the part of the aloof and distant intellectual, ie Let's speak condescendingly of others while I pretend to be Dexter/Spock/Sheldon/whatever.
    People are less interested in burials than you think. They grieve in their own way, and having burials is just an archaic religious rite we've yet to get rid of.

Deleted
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqZgd6-xQl8

/thread

Servers temporarily at capacity....
    Last edited by mmoca1e94eb7cd; 2013-09-26 at 08:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    People are less interested in burials than you think. They grieve in their own way, and having burials is just an archaic religious rite we've yet to get rid of.
    The burial isn't even about religion. It's cross cultural, pan-religious, and predates agriculture, writing, art, and even humanity. Even god-damned neanderthals took a moment to reflect upon their past relationships with the deceased by a burial rite of some kind. Some people are so determined to act superior to others they ignore the basic fact of death and grieving; It isn't about the dead at all, it's about the living. It isn't a connection to the corpse. IT ISN'T A CONNECTION TO THE CORPSE. Which is exactly what people are claiming. It's about reflecting on the past relationships with what has left, and dealing with that loss in a healthy way.

Deleted
    Bury it on the old indian burial ground. It will return. It will return. But it might not be the same

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Matej View Post
    Bury it on the old indian burial ground. It will return. It will return. But it might not be the same
    The soil is sour...

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm imagining someone burying their squirrel and having it rise like your avatar.

Deleted
    "Dealing with loss in a healthy way" is a load of unsubstantiated psycho babble. The healthiest way of dealing with things is to understand that the dead are dead, they no longer exist in any form, and making yourself mourn them on purpose is pointless. Whatever pain you have will come in it's due time, if it comes at all. And yes, even cave men might have buried their dead, but it's all rooted in superstition and religion.

The vast majority of people on this Earth believe in some hocus pocus god of one sort or another, so is it any wonder a hocus pocus rite such as burial is such an integral ceremony in the lives of people? Not really.

- - - Updated - - -

under the arc of a weather stain boards
    ancient goblins, and warlords
    come out of the ground, not making a sound
    the smell of death is all around

and the night when the cold wind blows
    no one cares, nobody knows...

We have 3 dog graves at my parents house including small marble plaques with their name and date on it covering the graves. Kinda creepy but kinda nice to have them there.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogmanlolz View Post
    So my dog was hit by a truck and died and idk what to do with it. I live in the city area so it'll be awkward to bury it in my backyard. I looked on google it doesn't give me a freaking answer and all the vets are closed for the night and animal control is closed as well.

So what do I do with a dead dog body for the night? It creeps me out and saddens me looking at it just laying there all broken. One major thing is I haven't told my girlfriend yet, and I will be yelled at for not locking the gate properly. So yes it's my fault. But anyway what the hell do I do with it till morning?

In some places, law requires that dead animals be cremated (with certain exceptions for farmers).
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

"Dealing with loss in a healthy way" is a load of unsubstantiated psycho babble. The healthiest way of dealing with things is to understand that the dead are dead, they no longer exist in any form, and making yourself mourn them on purpose is pointless. Whatever pain you have will come in it's due time, if it comes at all. And yes, even cave men might have buried their dead, but it's all rooted in superstition and religion.

The vast majority of people on this Earth believe in some hocus pocus god of one sort or another, so is it any wonder a hocus pocus rite such as burial is such an integral ceremony in the lives of people? Not really.[/CENTER]

I like how people feel informed enough on burial that they feel that they can make broad claims about how it's rooted in superstition, etc.

Maybe people started burying their dead because they noticed dead things attracted unwanted pests and dangerous animals?

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    I like how people feel informed enough on burial that they feel that they can make broad claims about how it's rooted in superstition, etc.

Maybe people started burying their dead because they noticed dead things attracted unwanted pests and dangerous animals?
    Not to mention the hazard of bodies that died of things like anthrax.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post

Well good then, for those people. Means it wasn't a rite, but practicality. That's all I was promoting anyway.

http://www.nodava.se/?q=node/156

This is google translate because I cba

"pet
    Dead pets that have lived with people in the home may be buried on their own property if it can be done without detriment to human health and the environment. Small animals can also be placed in a tightly closed paper bag, which is then placed in the brown compost vessel. For larger animals, you should contact your veterinarian."