Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

How do atheists cope with "heat death"?

We Christians know that eventually, God will destroy the planet and replace it with a new Heaven and a new Earth. We, of course, will continue to exist for all time with God and Jesus.

Atheists believe that the universe is slowly and inexorably spreading out and cooling off, and that eventually it will suffer "heat death". All planets will be dead, all stars will burn out, and nothing will live.

So, when Christians write books and make music and build things, we do it knowing that we will influence current and future generations who will carry our ideas into Heaven for eternity. Atheists know that everything they create, no matter how beautiful or profound, will eventually cease to exist. Even a book popular for thousands of years, like Plato's Republic, will someday be forgotten; even if a copy survives for billions of years, locked in the frozen core of a dead world, there will be none to read it. Ever.

So what encourages atheists to get out of bed in the morning? And why do they all seem to worry about "endangered feces" and "historic preservation"?

I don't get it. At all.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumblecrush View Post
    So what encourages atheists to get out of bed in the morning?
    A love of life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Money...
    There is NOTHING in this world, that motivates people as much as money..
    Atheist or religious, doesn't really matter...
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

I'm sorry but are you serious? Especially with the ''We Christians know'' part.

15+ Year Old Account
    So what encourages atheists to get out of bed in the morning? And why do they all seem to worry about "endangered feces" and "historic preservation"?
    Endangered feces, LOOL
    What encourages believers to get out of bed in the morning? I mean just pray and pray and all stuff should be sorted, right?

So what you're saying is that if existence doesn't end in your utopian mindframe, life shouldn't be cherished or enjoyed in the present time we have to enjoy it?

Quote Originally Posted by Zka View Post
    Endangered feces, LOOL
    Also what encourages believers to get out of bed in the morning? I mean just pray and pray and all stuff should be sorted, right?
    Indeed. Sick? Just pray it'll get better. Need money? Just pray you'll get some.

Seems like an incredibly simple way to live since you can do it from the comfort of your bedroom.

Because we have the choice to live our lives the way we want?
    "We" also influence current and future generations, moreso considering the religion that is today will not be there in the future anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    Indeed. Sick? Just pray it'll get better. Need money? Just pray you'll get some.
    Seems like an incredibly simple way to live since you can do it from the comfort of your bedroom.
    Being religious IS a very simple way of living - you don't have to know anything and just go "lol god" at everything you don't understand. This concept goes for those "super believers", not the random person that gets salvation from believing in something.
    Last edited by Mifuyne; 2013-09-27 at 08:46 AM.

Asking that is like asking an Atheist why they don't rape or kill. They don't do it because its simply wrong. What motivates them varies just like is varies for every person, but most simply want to contribute to society. Atheist also tend to bring logic and fact to the table instead of religious books that cant be held accountable on the basis that every religious book contradicts each other. So they simply do what they believe is right as oppose to a book that dictates what is right. So that is why many do what they do i.e "historic preservation".
    World of Warcraft: Level 60 Blood Elf Holy Paladin

Before that happens the sun will have scorched everything on our planet anyway, so before the "end of the universe", mankind will cease to exist.
    What keeps atheists going? I for one don't care if I don't leave anything of subjective significance behind as long as I have a good life (from my own perspective) and won't be remembered as an asshole by the people who were around me when I was still alive.

It all depends on the person I guess

We Christians know that eventually, God will destroy the planet and replace it with a new Heaven and a new Earth. We, of course, will continue to exist for all time with God and Jesus.

Atheists believe that the universe is slowly and inexorably spreading out and cooling off, and that eventually it will suffer "heat death". All planets will be dead, all stars will burn out, and nothing will live.

So, when Christians write books and make music and build things, we do it knowing that we will influence current and future generations who will carry our ideas into Heaven for eternity. Atheists know that everything they create, no matter how beautiful or profound, will eventually cease to exist. Even a book popular for thousands of years, like Plato's Republic, will someday be forgotten; even if a copy survives for billions of years, locked in the frozen core of a dead world, there will be none to read it. Ever.

I don't get it. At all.
    If this is real sincere post, I really don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Um..how about creating a better world for you and your loved one?
    How about helping mankind better itself?
    Combat viruses, diseases, and infections that kill thousands daily?

....beat that high score on that game you're playing.

What encourages us is what should encourage all. the betterment of mankind as a whole, despite it's eventual extinction. There is no reason to live in a cave all your life just because one day, perhaps hundreds of thousands of years away, mankind will cease to exist.

Well i am a christian but i would say that i would figure that say the heat death will happen in idk billions and billions of years from now. Assuming humanity or some other advanced race has made it that far. I would sure hope they found a way to alter things enough to say "Lawl heat death how cute" or something. And there are some well respected scienist who believe in multiple dimensions and a multiverse. So if they are right we can find a way to just go to a new universe that isn't near its heat death.

maybe we put importance in the NOW rather then the later? life's short and it doesn't need to be bogged down with fears of what happens after I'm worm food. I find it rather irritating people think atheist have no reason to live, when they have every other reason to go on living minus the one part religious people have.

also with the universe ending bit...it's out of our hands, we can't do anything about it. so what is the point worrying about it?
    Last edited by Sky High; 2013-09-27 at 08:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MestHoop View Post
    Before that happens the sun will have scorched everything on our planet anyway, so before the "end of the universe", mankind will cease to exist.
    What keeps atheists going? I for one don't care if I don't leave anything of subjective significance behind as long as I have a good life (from my own perspective) and won't be remembered as an asshole by the people who were around me when I was still alive.

It all depends on the person I guess
    If humanity makes it that far then we would have long since settled other worlds or built some kind of space station around a new star.

10+ Year Old Account
    I may be more agnostic-leaning now, but even when I was a bible-believing Christian, I never bought into the "end of days" idea. That'd be such a dick move on god's part. I mean, that'd be like going to the beach with your dad and building a giant sandcastle just to make him proud. Then out of nowhere he just kicks that shit over. But it's okay, because he takes you out for icecream after! Though in reality, you still kind of hate him for it...

15+ Year Old Account
    We Christians your ass. Don't generalize and throw each of us in the same boat as you. We are not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    I may be more agnostic-leaning now, but even when I was a bible-believing Christian, I never bought into the "end of days" idea. That'd be such a dick move on god's part. I mean, that'd be like going to the beach with your dad and building a giant sandcastle just to make him proud. Then out of nowhere he just kicks that shit over. But it's okay, because he takes you out for icecream after! Though in reality, you still kind of hate him for it...
    I know its prob not what a very strict christian would view but i always took it as a warning. That this could happen should humanity embrace evil and what not. I know not a very accepted view but that's the one i hold atm.

Quote Originally Posted by arel00 View Post
    We Christians your ass. Don't generalize and throw each of us in the same boat as you. We are not.
    I feel sorry for the other believers D:
    Atleast he publicly stupifies himself.

I'm a Christian but I don't get out of bed in the morning because of God, death is almost never upon my mind