10+ Year Old Account

Gearing up question...

I just hit level 28 last night on my archer but the majority of the gear I have is level 20-25. It feels like I'm leveling faster than the level of the main storyline quests are (as such, the rewards are low level also). I am just now getting level 26 quests and I'm already level 28...

My question is, is it worth it to grind dungeons for gear (which never seems to drop for my class), or just keep questing and hope that my quest rewards eventually catch up with my character level? I've played enough mmo's (wow, swtor, tera, aion, rift) to know that leveling gear isn't all that important in the grand scheme, it's end game gear that matters. I just want to make sure that I don't miss out on any opportunities as I level.

Does anyone know if there is a gearing guide or does anyone have any suggestions as to how to proceed with making sure my gear will be adequate when I ding 50 and am ready to get into the end game...

This is my first experience with any FF game and I just bought the game last week. Are there any websites out there that would help me get better acquainted with the ins and outs of this game?

Thanks!

Gear doesn't matter all that much. Also, look at your grand company QM because they have gear sporadically throughout the leveling process that is equal to or better than dungeon gear of comparable levels.

As for being ready for end game; you get AF gear at 45, AF chest at 50 that takes care of the left side slots (except belt). You can get ~49 white gear from the AH for a couple of thousand each that are a lot better than anything pre-40 which you will want to spirit-bind so you can create the materia you need for your relic quest anyway, and you can get a few bits depending on your class from your GC QM that are mid-40s.

You get an ilvl 55 weapon from your GC QM (see a pattern here?) for about 7k seals, I think. When you hit 50, you should be wearing:

ilvl55 weapon from GCQM
    ilvl50 head, hands, legs, feet (af)
    ilvl 60 (i think) chest from last class quest (do this as you hit 50)
    ilvl 49 (or better) accessories from the AH, with a spattering of others from quests possibly

IE: as long as you do your class quests and use the grand company (ie: do fates), you don't need to do anything else to gear up before 50.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks! This information is extremely helpful!!!

P.S. sorry for the newbie question, but what does AF stand for?
    Last edited by Boramir; 2013-09-27 at 03:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boramir View Post
    Thanks! This information is extremely helpful!!!

P.S. sorry for the newbie question, but what does AF stand for?
    Artifact gear.
    Just think of it as class gear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks Remilia!

So correct me if I'm wrong, but the progression (least to greatest) looks like it goes: AF gear (ilvl 55) > Primal (ilvl 60-70) > Darklight (70-80) > Relics (ilvl 80-90) > Allagan (ilvl 90).
    Last edited by Boramir; 2013-09-27 at 04:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boramir View Post
    Thanks Remilia!

So correct me if I'm wrong, but the progression (least to greatest) looks like it goes: AF gear (ilvl 55) > Primal (ilvl 60-70) > Darklight (70-80) > Relics (ilvl 80-90) > Allagan (ilvl 90).
    AF gear is 45/50. Primal weapon Ifrit is 60, Garuda / Titan is 70. Darklight is only 70. Relic is 80, Relic +1 is 90. Allagan is 90.

Technically it'd be
    AF > Temple > AK > Ifrit weapon > Garuda / Darklight > Titan for Relic > Allagan.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the fast responses Remilia! This helps me out a ton!