Thread: Surv vs BM

Surv vs BM

hi guys

i'm most certainly sure that someone has posted this before, as it bugs me ever since 5.4 came out, though i could'nt find a post about it.
    my hunter is 527 ilvl and im playing BM. when speccing Surv my dps is slightly lower (steady 10% or so). when talking burst trash BM is much high no doubt.
    thing is i see top hunters (method etc) playing surv. can any1 enlighten me please?

thanks

Maybe SV works better with their gear, e.g. if they have the 4pc bonus and no AoC trinket.

Otherwise, there are some fights that favor SV, e.g. spread out multi-dot fights or fights where there are known pet bugs.

Maybe they just prefer SV and the two sim closely enough not to matter. Especially now with the recent Explosive Shot buff.

Deleted
    If you look at Rogerbrown's kill videos you can see he's often doing the filthy stuff, which in many bosses means bursting specific adds down, in which SV is generally better than BM due to pet positioning, etc. Also in other bosses where It is not required to do that, SV is simply more consistent across the board, even if it deals 5% less damage. Consistency is the most important thing on hardcore raiding progression. Also if you have 4 locks which are absolutely amazing players, all the AoE/multidotting part is already covered

pretty much what i thought. thx guys.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have the opposite issue - I have a 526 hunter alt who consistently pulls 10-15k less dps on dummies while in BM versus SV. Simming on femadedwarf, I also find my simmed DPS lower for BM. This made me curious and I imported random hunters in the 540-550 range into female dwarf and simmed them both with SV and BM, in almost all the cases, with the suggested shot priority, BM was simming fairly lower than SV.

I specifically checked hunters with the T162pc and T164pc.

If you sim with the regular 5min duration, yes BM will be lower unless they have AoC.

For me BM has always simmed about 8-10k more than SV with 8.8 fight duration.

Also SV > BM in single-target after 4pc + AoC/Ebon

Deleted
    BM is better for clumped up aoe situations that you need to burst down (and it's a truck load of fun, especially with AoC trinket)

BM is also better single target at your gear.

SV will never beat BM is clumped up burst aoe, but multi dotting and more spread aoe, it wins.

Once you have T16 4pc SV>BM single target.

In short, play whatever the hell you like, they are both close and both have their merits.