Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Because it's one of the few unbelievably minor parts of the game where the player needs to make a choice, rather than having every option at his immediate whim?

100K to "buy advanced individual training" from your class master. My druid would do it, or would have when we had talent trees. Now? I don't know. I think i'd still do it on that toon, maybe for monk.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Isn't that an inherent problem with tri-spec anyway? It benefits hybrids (Druids especially) the most and pure classes only marginally and making their choices less significant. Opinions work both ways, you know.
    It doesn't even benefit all hybrids equally. Sure some may want to tank/heal/dps for their raid, but some don't want their raid leader ordering them to learn tanking.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Isn't that an inherent problem with tri-spec anyway? It benefits hybrids (Druids especially) the most and pure classes only marginally and making their choices less significant. Opinions work both ways, you know.
    Fair enough, but I feel there is a much better argument FOR it than against it. I can't make Blizzard do something they don't like, sure. But I hate seeing the argument "There isn't much reason for it!" Well again, neither is there a "great" reason for portals all over the planet existing, or having 3-4 FPs in Westfall. Blizzard has made the game really convenient, so I would like a better argument than that.

You say it would benefit SOME classes more so than others. I can see that. But that would matter if "Paladin" and "Rogue" were people. Don't personify them. Blizzard wouldn't be racist against Rogues because they benefit marginally less than Druids from Tri Spec.

The choice is already insignificant. You aren't locked into a spec. You don't pick from the start and have to live with it. It would really just save A LOT of time, and a little amount of gold. I actually play a Paladin. I already suffer from needing 3 sets of gear + 1 for pvp, or possibly +2 if I had 2 pvp specs. This wouldn't be unfair, since everyone would have it, and everyone can make any class.

I dislike pally healing, but I would certainly try it more if I didn't have to go to a trainer, respec, pick my talents, fix my bars (or use an addon to do it)

So why dual and not tri? Rift has a system where you can have multiple slots and it doesn't break a single thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Because it's one of the few unbelievably minor parts of the game where the player needs to make a choice, rather than having every option at his immediate whim?
    Its not really a choice, as you can almost FREELY change. Its a minor amount or gold, and too much time.

I don't really see the need for tri-spec. Especially now that they separated glyphs and talents from the actual spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Just because you don't value or care about something, doesn't mean anything, really. Be objective when you argue a point please. "Well, mickybrighteyes doesn'ty see a need for it guys, so we aren't implementing it" isn't a good reason.
    PLease enlighten me as to how rogues, mages, hunters, and the average dps player would utilize another specc?

Their "aoe specc" for trash pulls leading to a boss? Their other farm specc? An RP based specc so they can sit in a special passive state... besides druids and warlocks is there a class that gets stuff like that they can't keep in their main specc?

Only the classes with multiple role specializations or the very few great players would make use of something like this to it's full potential, and the rest would basically go on to continue asking "why not quad-specc?"

edit:
    and with how we can change our talents and glyphs out of combat with an easily acquired relatively cheap consumable, I'm finding it harder to see a need for additional speccs of the same specialization.
    Last edited by mickybrighteyes; 2013-09-26 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    Because if you could freely change spec whenever and wherever you wanted there would be no difference between any given person of a class.

There is identity to being a frost/fire mage, holy/ret paladin or a demo/afflic warlock.
    When you have all three specs, every warlock becomes just a warlock, every paladin is just a paladin, and every mage is just a mage.
    This is totally untrue. There are only two differences between having tri-spec and having what we have today: I would no longer need a 3rd party add-on to save my bars and I wouldn't need to hearth to swap to one of my three specs. For druids, DKs, and Monks, it's even easier. With the new "portal" rules for those classes, they can use it, retrain, and use it again and be right back where they started.

I'm not a frost/blood DK, I'm a frost DK who happens to be able to become blood spec for the occasional tank run. If your description was accurate, I still wouldn't be a frost/blood DK, I'd be a frost/blood/portal+unholy+portal DK.

If any respec is allowed, the rest is just a matter of convenience and gold (which you can recoup in a matter of minutes).

Having Tri-spec would hurt absolutely nothing, and benefit some.

Some people are just against any convenience mostly for the sake of just being against conveniences.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    It doesn't even benefit all hybrids equally. Sure some may want to tank/heal/dps for their raid, but some don't want their raid leader ordering them to learn tanking.
    This doesn't stop them from saying that. When I raided as a druid I was expected to know all 4 specs.. When I raided as a warrior in BC I would tank some fights, have to go respec to fury to dps some fights then respec to arms when I did pvp.. It was frustrating as hell.. I did dailies to support my respec habits..

Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    PLease enlighten me as to how rogues, mages, hunters, and the average dps player would utilize another specc?

Their "aoe specc" for trash pulls leading to a boss? Their other farm specc? An RP based specc so they can sit in a special passive state... besides druids and warlocks is there a class that gets stuff like that they can't keep in their main specc?

Only the classes with multiple role specializations or the very few great players would make use of something like this to it's full potential, and the rest would basically go on to continue asking "why not quad-specc?"
    Soooooo, some would use it, some wouldn't. No one would get hurt. Ummm, sound argument?

Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post

As an average DPS player, I like playing around with the feel and powers of the various specs. The three warlock specs each feel quite different to me, as do the two DK DPS specs, and sometimes I like to play around with the ones I don't usually use, just for kicks. I'm not trying to optimize my DPS for a specific encounter.

The question is not "why would you do it," the question is, "why make me teleport twice and use an add-on to do it?" Arguably we already have infini-spec - it just takes hearthing and porting back and an add-on in order to use it all but two of them.

Deleted
    I would vote for this change, but it should be for everyone not just down to hybrid-classes. No real reason to limit it IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Togarox View Post
    I don't really see the need for tri-spec. Especially now that they separated glyphs and talents from the actual spec.
    I'd really enjoy it on my shaman. I'm elemental/resto now since the gear smiliarity at least allows me to be vaguely productive in either set of nonoptimal gear. The gear difference prevents me even trying enhancement - but that's not so much a problem of spec as it is of not enough time with the loot-preference update.

More pertinently though I'd enjoy it on my warrior. She is primarily Protection, but plays Arms for fun when LFRing. I'd enjoy giving Fury a shot and I have the gear to support it, but the necessity to spec out of Arms, set all my bars and glyphs up and everything is a deterrent, especially if I have to snap back in a hurry and be productive. Granted I can mitigate that some with the Action Bar Saver mod, but should I really need to? At this point it's not a strong justified design intent thing for Blizz, it's simple stubborn obstruction.

Quote Originally Posted by Otiswhitaker View Post
    Having Tri-spec would hurt absolutely nothing, and benefit some.

Some people are just against any convenience mostly for the sake of just being against conveniences.
    I find this is most often because some people confuse UI inconvenience with content difficulty.

Perhaps if we phrased it differently. I officially no longer want tri-spec. What I want is not to have to use an add-on and cast a portal spell twice to respec. If time and cost are problems, I'd be fine with a 10 minute cooldown and 50 gold cost on a respec button on the UI.

I would accept "technical difficulties over any excuse they've given. Its so trivial, and dual over tri spec is such a random .. ugh whats the word I am looking for..

Dual spec was created because back in Vanilla, and even TBC, if you were a tank or a healer you had to respec just to farm. I don't believe it was ever intended to let you fit every role.

It really isn't really necessary now with all the talent/spec changes.
    But why not? That's OP's question. Just, why not? There is not a single good reason other than "it probably wasn't intended".

Edit: I want to add that gold cost really is not relevant anymore. Where once respeccing was definitely an important gold sink, with the inflated gold amount, the 30-60 g you sink in respeccing, as compared to the 100k mount goldsinks, is really nothing. That said, a lot of people just don't bother respeccing because it's a hassle and just stick to the 2 specs they have. I'm one of those. I have the respec addons, but I just CBA to go and respec. I'd like to go destro and do some shit with it for luls, but same issue. On my druid, I'd love to tank, but yeah... And so on.
    Last edited by Cirque; 2013-09-26 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk View Post
    I find this is most often because some people confuse UI inconvenience with content difficulty.

Perhaps if we phrased it differently. I officially no longer want tri-spec. What I want is not to have to use an add-on and cast a portal spell twice to respec. If time and cost are problems, I'd be fine with a 10 minute cooldown and 50 gold cost on a respec button on the UI.
    I agree. I would pay a large gold sink, and would be fine with a CD.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Why are we limited to tri-spec? Why not 4? Think of the druids!
    Now we have 4, so we might as well have 5.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    More pertinently though I'd enjoy it on my warrior. She is primarily Protection, but plays Arms for fun when LFRing. I'd enjoy giving Fury a shot and I have the gear to support it, but the necessity to spec out of Arms, set all my bars and glyphs up and everything is a deterrent, especially if I have to snap back in a hurry and be productive. Granted I can mitigate that some with the Action Bar Saver mod, but should I really need to? At this point it's not a strong justified design intent thing for Blizz, it's simple stubborn obstruction.
    This makes sense, though it seems like more of a problem with the game not saving bars rather than a need for a 3rd spec.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    Why are we limited to tri-spec? Why not 4? Think of the druids!
    Now we have 4, so we might as well have 5.
    Thats fine. It wouldn't hurt anything.