Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    So, all guys from gov wanted to take a day off and everyone went crazy?
    To be fair, GTA Online did come out the same day... (well, at least it was supposed to... stupid server problems...)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    I have yet to meet a politician that was not in it for the power and/or ego.
    I have a hard time even believing you've ever even met a politician... let alone was able to spend enough time to gague an accurate judgement call on them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    To be fair, GTA Online did come out the same day... (well, at least it was supposed to... stupid server problems...)

- - - Updated - - -

I have a hard time even believing you've ever even met a politician... let alone was able to spend enough time to gague an accurate judgement call on them.
    I have met quite a few actually, from most parties in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    I have yet to meet a politician that was not in it for the power and/or ego.
    I've met plenty. And here is why anecdotal evidence can be as pointless as absolutes...

15+ Year Old Account
    Hmm they shutdown the AmberAlert website. As a wise man once said, "Hide yo kids..."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Naidia View Post
    Hmm they shutdown the AmberAlert website. As a wise man once said, "Hide yo kids..."
    Look at the big picture... Would anyone want to be rescued, if it meant living under Obamacare? /sarcasm
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    Look at the big picture... Would anyone want to be rescued, if it meant living under Obamacare? /sarcasm
    Living in a world with Obamacare is apparently worse than living in a world where America defaults on its debt.

That is of course if your income is in the high six to seven figures or higher and your company already subsidizes ridiculously good insurance for you.

For the other 99% of the population though, it's pretty nice, and a nice step towards having health care that's like the rest of the civilized world.

This whole shut down and the "accusations" that Dems won't negotiate when the only thing Reps want is stuff they can get controlling all 3 branches of gov't.

If there ever was a group of people that wanted to control the country to their own desires, it's not Obama and the Dems. Just take a look to the right and what they're doing. The government has literally come to a screeching halt because they tried 43 times to get their way and are now throwing a temper tantrum that they didn't.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Decklan View Post
    This is the quintessential "no u" argument when you really have nothing that even resembles a rebuttal.

The shut down is a joke.

The people who think ACA needs to be repealed are a joke. Those with sense have seen this. Those who like to eat rhetoric hook line and sinker have not and are the biggest joke of this nation right now.

All of this crying about how much the ACA is going to cost is a joke, given that rich old white men love to cost this nation billions by relying on their medicare. It's so incredibly disingenuous to rail against Obamacare.
    Could be but what you have to remember is that everyone now has to pay for it's healthcare(Having money for it or not). Meaning people who can't pay will get even more bills. In the Netherlands we have such a system and if you don't pay lets say 1 month than you end up with a bill that's like 3 times you needed to pay. Now let's say you allready have bills and can't pay cause some debt company is taking money straight out you Loan you end up sacrificing a lot just to get by.

I'm not against the fact that everyone deserves the same care, but instead of going for the Obamacare why not target the companies that charge so much for good medicines? Force them lower the cost or have the government provide the same medicine for lower so they actually do there job. Everything seems to always come in the disguise of it's good for the people and makes our land safer, but in the end it narrows the path people can walk to live their life.

Governments have been screwing up for way to long if you ask me. Yeah they also do good things, but the moment that 10% of what the government does hurts the common man his freedom and room to live a good life than it's time to confront them with it. Up till now governments are doing more than 10% harm to us the common man so they ain't doing their job. The moment I have a 5% fail ratio with doing my job I get fired, but the government gets to stay in power? We have no say or real choice cause our whole system is based on the wrong point namely a fiction that without money we can't have a balanced life.

Again this a answer that focus on the symptomes instead of on the problem itself. Like wiping away the bleeding of deep wound instead of stitching the wound so it doesn't bleed anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    So, all guys from gov wanted to take a day off and everyone went crazy?
    People are to afraid to step up and take up responsibility. They rather all kinds of rules and laws and the illusion they are free and taken care of...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post

- - - Updated - - -

I was in politic(lokal) for 1 year and met people from the biggest politic groups(the big shots) and instead of listening to me they only tried to debate with me trying to not listen to me and just kept on saying more police would be better to controle the childeren hanging around. While I was saying:

Don't waste money on more police. Go talk with them. Ask grown ups to be there so both side can explain they're concerns and govern them in understanding each other and stepping up to fix the fear and problems.

I can say that most politicians are the kind of people that laugh with you and than the moment you turn around backstab you so hard. Than when you feel the knife they point the finger to someone else and give solutions that will cost you more money and less freedom...
    I know that to have a government we need a population that can't govern themself, but they act like bosses instead of leaders.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Naidia View Post
    I dont understand why they are shutting down websites. It makes no sense. . . servers work without human intervention. . . the gov could shut down for 20 years, and all the websites would work just fine. This is just some "OMFG LOOK HOW BAD ITS GETTING".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    I dont understand why they are shutting down websites. It makes no sense. . . servers work without human intervention. . . the gov could shut down for 20 years, and all the websites would work just fine. This is just some "OMFG LOOK HOW BAD ITS GETTING".
    Some agencies run their sites directly on in-house servers. There are other reasons too, which can be found in this memo if you are really that interested.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/defa...13/m-13-22.pdf

Also as info, the AmberAlert system is not affected by the website shutdown.
    Last edited by Payday; 2013-10-07 at 02:07 PM.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    After having a quick read of this http://www.theglobeandmail.com/comme...ticle14657740/ what is happening with health care in the US is nothing compared to countries.. If you read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_health_care if you look at the history section of the countries listed there such as Canada, The United Kingdom, Germany, Australia, Italy, Sweden, Israel, Switzerland and many more have a Nation Health System..

Quote from the wiki page "Most current universal health care systems were implemented in the period following the Second World War as a process of health care reform, intended to make health care available to all, in the spirit of Article 25 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights of 1948, signed by every country doing so. However, the USA did not ratify the social and economic rights sections, including Article 25's right to health."

Why a universal health system is seen as so bad by some in the US I will never know, since most other countries seemed to have gotten on well with it..

10+ Year Old Account
    But hey, the Let's Move! website is still up...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Payday View Post
    Some agencies run their sites directly on in-house servers. There are other reasons too, which can be found in this memo, if you are really that interested.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/defa...13/m-13-22.pdf
    Yeah, nothing in that letter states that electricity to servers will be cut off, therefore, shutting down a website is nothing more than a political stunt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, nothing in that letter states that electricity to servers will be cut off, therefore, shutting down a website is nothing more than a political stunt.
    Other reasons exist, but since you just dismiss what I say without reading it, I'll let you have it your way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Other reasons exist, but since you just dismiss what I say without reading it, I'll let you have it your way.
    I didnt see any "real" reasons to do it. Maybe you could enlighten me, because seriously, what would I know, I've only been a Web Application Developer for about 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by grexly75 View Post
    Why a universal health system is seen as so bad by some in the US I will never know, since most other countries seemed to have gotten on well with it..
    I think people in the US is more prone to consider taxes and tax funded services to be an intrusion on their personal freedom, in this case economic freedom. Financial calculations doesn't really seem to come into it, it's an ideology and the result is that political policy in this area ends up in half assed compromises. I don't like Obamacare, it's not an optimal solution. There is also a greater mistrust towards government and the state in general.

Just some thoughts.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

10+ Year Old Account
    I didnt see any "real" reasons to do it. Maybe you could enlighten me, because seriously, what would I know, I've only been a Web Application Developer for about 20 years.
    Read attachment 2, Section A of the link that you dismissed without reading. You can figure out the rest on your own, smart guy.

15+ Year Old Account
    This doesn't make any sense. The federal government and its worker's are shut down. Why would they still be on? I feel like this is a pretty simple concept to wrap your head around.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Read attachment 2, Section A of the link that you dismissed without reading. You can figure out the rest on your own, smart guy.
    . . . I Did. . . /facepalm . . . . . . . .

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    This doesn't make any sense. The federal government and its worker's are shut down. Why would they still be on? I feel like this is a pretty simple concept to wrap your head around.
    So. . . lol do you think running a website is like the movie hackers, where a guy sits in a room and does "stuff" to keep a website running?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Naxere View Post
    But hey, the Let's Move! website is still up...
    And this is your "evidence" proving that the liberals, bureaucrats, and the media are exaggerating the affects of shutdown?

- - - Updated - - -

. . . I Did. . . /facepalm . . . . . . . .

- - - Updated - - -

So. . . lol do you think running a website is like the movie hackers, where a guy sits in a room and does "stuff" to keep a website running?
    No, who would answer amber alert calls, put them in the computer, when they are all out of the office? Shutting down the server is protocol when the government shuts down. How would you pay for it when the government is shut down?
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    How do the servers and electricity get notified and updated with an amber alert?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi