Page 1 of 22
... LastLast

Greece arrests neo-Nazi party leader

http://www.france24.com/en/20130928-...i-party-leader

Greece on Saturday arrested the leader of the neo-Nazi Golden Dawn party and hunted for dozens of members as part of a crackdown launched after the murder of a leftist musician, a police source said.

Nikos Michaloliakos, 56, was arrested along with Golden Dawn lawmaker and spokesman Ilias Kassidiairis and two other party members on charges of belonging to a "criminal organisation," the source said on condition of anonymity.

Arrest warrants have been issued for at least five other MPs and dozens of members of the party, which has 18 lawmakers in parliament.

The arrests came a day after Golden Dawn threatened to quit parliament, a move that would prompt by-elections in the recession-hit country where the government is struggling to implement painful public sector reforms in return for international bailout funds.

Greece launched a crackdown on the party after the fatal stabbing of 34-year-old anti-fascist hip-hop artist Pavlos Fyssas on September 18 by a self-confessed neo-Nazi.

On Friday, Michaloliakos threatened to pull the party's 18 lawmakers out of parliament, a move that would prompt by-elections in 15 regions around the country.

The by-elections could hurt the coalition government of Prime Minister Antonis Samaras, which has a slim majority of 155 MPs in the 300-seat parliament.

Golden Dawn was voted into parliament for the first time in 2012 elections, amid widespread anger over structural reforms international creditors have imposed on the debt-wracked country, which is currently in its sixth continuous year of recession and that has a staggering 27 percent unemployment rate.

Thought I'd post this considering how Greece is usually only brought up when something bad or wrong happens. They're going after Golden Dawn with Greece's analogue of RICO statutes for organized crime.

Party Leader Nikos Michaloliakos has already been arrested and warrants have been issued even for some of the MPs Golden Dawn has in the parliament.

This comes after almost 2 weeks of protests and anti-fascism marches AGAINST Golden Dawn by the Greek public after the murder of a local rapper by a Golden Dawn supporter.

Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post

Greece on Saturday arrested the leader of the neo-Nazi Golden Dawn party and hunted for dozens of members as part of a crackdown launched after the murder of a leftist musician, a police source said.

Nikos Michaloliakos, 56, was arrested along with Golden Dawn lawmaker and spokesman Ilias Kassidiairis and two other party members on charges of belonging to a "criminal organisation," the source said on condition of anonymity.

Arrest warrants have been issued for at least five other MPs and dozens of members of the party, which has 18 lawmakers in parliament.

The arrests came a day after Golden Dawn threatened to quit parliament, a move that would prompt by-elections in the recession-hit country where the government is struggling to implement painful public sector reforms in return for international bailout funds.

Greece launched a crackdown on the party after the fatal stabbing of 34-year-old anti-fascist hip-hop artist Pavlos Fyssas on September 18 by a self-confessed neo-Nazi.

On Friday, Michaloliakos threatened to pull the party's 18 lawmakers out of parliament, a move that would prompt by-elections in 15 regions around the country.

The by-elections could hurt the coalition government of Prime Minister Antonis Samaras, which has a slim majority of 155 MPs in the 300-seat parliament.

Golden Dawn was voted into parliament for the first time in 2012 elections, amid widespread anger over structural reforms international creditors have imposed on the debt-wracked country, which is currently in its sixth continuous year of recession and that has a staggering 27 percent unemployment rate.

Thought I'd post this considering how Greece is usually only brought up when something bad or wrong happens. They're going after Golden Dawn with Greece's analogue of RICO statutes for organized crime.

Party Leader Nikos Michaloliakos has already been arrested and warrants have been issued even for some of the MPs Golden Dawn has in the parliament.

This comes after almost 2 weeks of protests and anti-fascism marches AGAINST Golden Dawn by the Greek public after the murder of a local rapper by a Golden Dawn supporter.
    Yeah it's been on the telly here, Greece get mentioned for more things then that though Atsa. ;P

Good food for example! I got a greek place right outside my door where they make some of the best Souvlaki and Moussaka that I've ever had, lovely staff to, family business. I'm what you could call a regular.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    Yeah it's been on the telly here, Greece get mentioned for more things then that though Atsa. ;P

Good food for example! I got a greek place right outside my door where they make some of the best Souvlaki and Moussaka that I've ever had, lovely staff to, family business. I'm what you could call a regular.
    Lucky you, Greek food here in Seattle has been slop for the most part. I have to either wait for the local church's yearly Greek festival for food or go to Vancouver, BC.

Never been a fan of moussaka though, not a big eggplant fan, and it's an easy dish to mess up and end up tasting terrible.
    Last edited by Stelio Kontos; 2013-09-29 at 04:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is being a Neo-Nazi/waving the Swastika/promoting Facism illegal in Greece, like it is in Germany?

Lucky you, Greek food here in Seattle has been slop for the most part. I have to either wait for the local church's early Greek festival for food or go to Vancouver, BC.

Never been a fan of moussaka though, not a big eggplant fan, and it's an easy dish to mess up and end up tasting terrible.
    Ask your family to send some your way! ;P

Eggplant doesn't really taste a lot imo, you need some spices to give it some taste imo, at the very least some salt and pepper.... but when it's used the right way, like in moussaka for example it becomes a great ingredient.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

10+ Year Old Account
    This seems corrupt as hell. From what I'm reading in the article it seems the Greek government is arresting MP's of a neo-nazi party to avoid the possibility of a new election, which they have a high probability of losing. Have they proven a solid link between the stabber and the golden dawn chaps or is this just a political ploy?

Quote Originally Posted by Tailswipe View Post
    This seems corrupt as hell. From what I'm reading in the article it seems the Greek government is arresting MP's of a neo-nazi party to avoid the possibility of a new election, which they have a high probability of losing. Have they proven a solid link between the stabber and the golden dawn chaps or is this just a political ploy?
    You've actually got that wrong. Due to the arrests, Golden Dawn are threatening to walk out of their seats in the parliament which would force new elections in the 16 districts their 18 MPs represent. This has nothing to do with avoiding an election. Golden Dawn threatened this before the arrests began.

Deleted

[I]Greece on Saturday arrested the leader of the neo-Nazi Golden Dawn party and hunted for dozens of members as part of a crackdown launched after the murder of a leftist musician, a police source said.
    Come on do they relay think that the top leadership of Golden Dawn personally order the murder of the anti-nazi singer? That is to greatly overestimate the influences of the musician and the stupidity of the top leadership of Golden Dawn (the murder was a PR disaster for Golden Dawn) Now think about this Golden Dawn threatened to cause a new-election if the government did not give them more influences in the politics. What a convenient way to get top leadership of Golden Dawn out of political play (for a while) and pin some guilt on them (sure they cant be that innocent if the police suspect them, and then have to release them because of lack of evidence)
    Last edited by mmoc957ac7b970; 2013-09-29 at 06:28 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I guess it's a pretense as most of the politicians did not seem to be very comfortable to rule with Chrysi Avgi to begin with. Instead letting it regain its increasing influence they decided to act before it's possibly too late and remove them from power altogether while also making sure they don't come back. One thing is for sure though since I followed their activity a bit from time to time, they had the demeanor of the old SA (being a political and aggressively fascist paramilitary power) and I was surprised it was allowed at all.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Deleted
    No I don't like this at all.

Greece is corrupt to the core.

I'm glad the Greek authorities have done something about this before it got out of hand. The Golden Dawn party is literally the exact copy of the Nazi party, and sadly the unemployment, debt and national issues of Greece are similar to those of Germany pre-Adolf Hitler.

People look to extremes when faced with extremes. History has shown this more times then we can count, and so getting this done before they turn into a party of power, that can influence the nation is a good thing. This party is fueled by seething hatred, their ideals and views are vile and their economic, social and military policies would spell obliteration for Greece.

There comes a time where the balance between freedom and security needs to be drawn when extreme cases rise, and in this case the line was drawn correctly. I wouldn't go as far as to claim these guys could achieve power, but if they did they certainly would start to enact policies very similar to that of the Nazi Regime. How many of us would agree that a few arrests in 1937 could've stopped World War 2, would've been a worthwhile sacrifice of freedom to save millions.

The same situation is here. That small sacrifice of freedom that has been made, has hopefully averted a party so disastrous for Greece, that if they ever did claim power I would give Greece 6 months before it was removed from the E.U. and economically dead. You think things are bad now, under these guys ... Oh dear!

I was taking this seriously until the "anti-fascist hip-hop artist" line. If your anti-fascists are even remotely similar to those of other countries that's just neo-nazi fascists killing another kind of fascists.

crazy, I read about the protests/riots following the rappers death. didn't think they would shut out a whole political faction.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by VoodooGaming View Post
    I'm glad the Greek authorities have done something about this before it got out of hand. The Golden Dawn party is literally the exact copy of the Nazi party, and sadly the unemployment, debt and national issues of Greece are similar to those of Germany pre-Adolf Hitler.
    From their logo, their ideology and strategy of terror and violenece against political opponents and those not "racially pure" to them, that's what they are. Good that the government is starting to act against them.

The second neccesary step however would be harder and recieve more criticism: Stop the austerity and depression policies that made the Golden Dawn Nazis as popular and powerful as they are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Awesome. Who wants neo-Nazis running around and influencing policy?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hurax View Post
    The second neccesary step however would be harder and recieve more criticism: Stop the austerity and depression policies that made the Golden Dawn Nazis as popular and powerful as they are.
    They can't do that. Your country and the EU in general are essentially blackmailing them into those measures under the threat of stoppage of EU funds.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    They can't do that. Your country and the EU in general are essentially blackmailing them into those measures under the threat of stoppage of EU funds.
    Those funds and bailouts that go straight into the balances of the banks? It's not like Greece except from some oligarchs and corrupt politicians is helped by them. There won't be change in Germany where everything is still quiet, nor in the ECB, EU or IWF, not acceppting demands seems the only way out to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurax View Post
    I don't agree....

The second necessary step now is information and education. The goal must be for the Golden Dawn to lose the support of the rather impartial population parts that voted for them. You have to get them out of the political power position. With their record, one could simply declare them illegal too. They are more a criminal organization than a true political party. But this is a dangerous move.
    For as long as they are legal, for as long one can control them much better. The last thing a society wants is to have those cells working in the underground.
    Just throw roadblock after roadblock in their way, and wait how they disqualify themselves.
    So, educate and inform the people...
    Germany comes to mind here..... The NPD, where does the party have any political significance? In 2 states out of 16 states. And those are states that have been part of the former DDR. The people voted for them, because of their (the people) neglect and lack of education..
    I mean, how stupid can a person's thinking process actually go?
    You are part of a region, that has been what one could call the probably biggest Open Air Prison in the World. And after you are freed from it, you sympathize and vote for the very ideologies, that caused you to become imprisoned in the first place.
    Without Nazis, WW2 would have never happened. Maybe some kind of isolated war, because Germany had basically no other choice left. But certainly not to that magnitude. Without Nazis there wouldn't have been a breakup of the country. The DDR would have never happened. The people there wouldn't have been detained by the Soviet Regime.
    So I call it extremely illiterate to support those radical right wing cells.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Well, its a good thing.
    I do remember all the BS they have told and done.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    [...]
    The second necessary step now is information and education.
    Information and education falls on deaf ears if it's not feeding your family. People are happy with voting for unfavourable conditions and against their own convictions if in return it gives them a promise to return to former stability and more importantly: welfare.

The goal must be for the Golden Dawn to lose the support of the rather impartial population parts that voted for them. You have to get them out of the political power position. With their record, one could simply declare them illegal too. They are more a criminal organization than a true political party. But this is a dangerous move.
    For as long as they are legal, for as long one can control them much better. The last thing a society wants is to have those cells working in the underground.
    Just throw roadblock after roadblock in their way, and wait how they disqualify themselves.
    So, educate and inform the people...
    It wouldn't help. You have 65% of the youth without jobs, they are super-pissed and understandably angry against anything with higher authority and outside forces like Germany and they will blame all kinds of groups especially weaker ones. They would do the same thing without a political platform to stand on. It's part of a repeating pattern, it's part of how human society works under extremes. I am all for containing their power by political means but the problem is that the way they are doing it may be fairly dirty as well because without that pretense of being a terrorist organization now they would have no rights to remove them. I've been informed that violence by their members was condoned long before they got into parliament, they even got cover and a blind eye from the police, it's just one of the things they should have fixed earlier and in a more legitimate way than now. Also since you mentioned the NPD down below: it's not comparable with the NPD. The NPD has been undermined by undercover agents of the Verfassungsschutz. So they are much more contained and they are more effective that way than underground. I doubt Greece has a similar institution so it would make literally no difference if they are just banned or allowed to continue. With a ban in place they have means to prosecute them.

Germany comes to mind here..... The NPD, where does the party have any political significance? In 2 states out of 16 states. And those are states that have been part of the former DDR. The people voted for them, because of their (the people) neglect and lack of education..
    Okay this is going to be long and I apologize for some more rambling parts:

The DDR had actually quite if not better education than the West - my siblings and me experienced that quite a lot and we made dirty jokes about how - we would say 'casual' today - education has become in many parts. The Finnish school model is based on that system we had until today.
    Anyways I remember, as if it were yesterday, my first encounter with Nazi crimes when I was 3rd grade. We had our first history lesson and this was the first we got, a film in black/white showing the massacre of the people of Khatyn. And this kind of education has been a pillar of education throughout anyone going to school in the DDR especially in the very regime-loyal parts of it. The people in the East did not vote because they are dumb or uneducated, they voted because they were angry and very much pissed off about the social situation, the many broken promises of the established parties and the fact that they had a choice, vote for the former communists or vote for something similar (just with a lot more nationalist tone). But all this also had historic roots, the DDR never really did Vergangenheitsbewältigung but what it did was based on heavy denouncement of the past while glorifying their own ones even though both had at some point shared the same stands in the parliament. Even at DDR times neo-nazis existed and they even tolerated attacks by them against the much more hated outcast punks which were per se outlaws as were any asocial elements not fitting into an ordered class-free society.
    After the Wende they really gained ground and with the situation as it was and with corruption taking place and established parties doing nothing, well it was very easy for the NPD to gain a foothold. The one reoccuring factor however was that the social situation detoriated rapidly and the more it did the more nationalist-populist parties and movements sprung up, rightwing violence also increased I know it because I have been on the receiving end. Past education did a bugger all because people who voted did either out of protest or simply because of their likeminded views even though they had all the knowledge about the past in mind. They are definitely not uneducated either, I know a few people voting them for myself but I do even know more people still voting left but it's been in decline over the last decade. Reason: Social situation improved and it's going better even with the steady population decline.

I mean, how stupid can a person's thinking process actually go?
    You are part of a region, that has been what one could call the probably biggest Open Air Prison in the World. And after you are freed from it, you sympathize and vote for the very ideologies, that caused you to become imprisoned in the first place.
    Without Nazis, WW2 would have never happened. Maybe some kind of isolated war, because Germany had basically no other choice left. But certainly not to that magnitude. Without Nazis there wouldn't have been a breakup of the country. The DDR would have never happened. The people there wouldn't have been detained by the Soviet Regime.
    So I call it extremely illiterate to support those radical right wing cells.
    I agree, you'd think logically that makes no sense. They suffered a lot by the nazis and the last thing you want is a homegrown version of it. But sadly that's simply not how it works, if you are lucky you can dodge the most of it by forcing people to move away en masse from a region so the unrest can be contained easier. But most people stay because they have nowhere to move, many people sharing the same thinking in the same place means it's going to hit the soft and unprotected targets of the society first. It's not that people are inherently stupid, just shortsighted and full of mistrust into the future or alternatives.
    Last edited by Ravenblade; 2013-09-29 at 12:14 PM.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!