Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Hmm...it's a race, and called that for a reason. Sure someone will finish first, but that doesn't mean once you see someone cross the finish line you stop running and walk off the track.

What about a marathon? Someone will strive to finish first, and someone else will strive to just complete it regardless of spot.

For me personally raiding is more like a marathon rather than a race, where I'm just interested in completing it eventually, rather than racing to take some spot like top 10 or whatever.

its like in a running race, if the winner crosses the line, all the other competitors will keep running for Self pride, for rankings (2nd, 3rd, etc) and for the enjoyment.
    www.twitch.tv/xchrispottertvx
    Officer in the World First Guild Method.
    We are recruiting any exceptional players who want to play at a World first level.
    www.method.gg
    Currently playing healer (Resto Druid main).

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you have no plans on playing next expansion, no not really.

If you do plan on raiding it's a good time to cut back and do other things while preparing for the next expansion. Ultimately in DS once everyone got mounts and we exhausted potential sales for mounts, we officially stopped raiding until the expansion dropped. Not that the time commitment of less than 2 hours a week was absurd, but in the heat of summer people wanted to do other things.

I imagine we will do the same thing this year (9/14H thus far) and probably stop raiding around the holidays. Would be really nice because that's a fairly hard time to raid anyways.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    If you have no plans on playing next expansion, no not really.

If you do plan on raiding it's a good time to cut back and do other things while preparing for the next expansion. Ultimately in DS once everyone got mounts and we exhausted potential sales for mounts, we officially stopped raiding until the expansion dropped. Not that the time commitment of less than 2 hours a week was absurd, but in the heat of summer people wanted to do other things.

I imagine we will do the same thing this year (9/14H thus far) and probably stop raiding around the holidays. Would be really nice because that's a fairly hard time to raid anyways.
    None of that is what the OP was talking about though.

I can see people raiding for a while even after they kill Garrosh on normal and then, when people have mounts etc that they want, taking a break. Others will prefer to try for 14/14H.

Face it, once YOU have killed a boss on normal you've seen all the content. You can certainly stop then. Or, if you like heroic raiding, you can move on to that. Or... well, I guess the point is that people should stop when they've achieved their goals. The idea that someone else killed him first so there's no point for anyone else to continue is just silly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chrispotter View Post
    its like in a running race, if the winner crosses the line, all the other competitors will keep running for Self pride, for rankings (2nd, 3rd, etc) and for the enjoyment.
    And some people weren't even bothering with the race anyway. They were running because they like it and it matters not at all that there was a race somewhere else and that someone has won it.

10+ Year Old Account
    When I still played... I'd stop once we killed the last boss in heroic. Since my guild was top 100 in america at the time, we could down bosses relatively close to when they were released. A good portion of my guild would continue to raid and obtain BiS gear... but the hunt ends after the last boss is down. There's no joy in killing bosses over and over hoping that the RNG gods bless you... if I want to play a loot based game, i'll happily play some D2 and start a new character. Wow is just at a point where it's not entertaining and the boss fights are far from original... in one way or another, the mechanics seem to mimic other past bosses, but then again it's hard to be creative when you've created quite a bit of boss mechanics already.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seezer View Post
    No they aren't. Most of them play very little outside of the race. And there are people that will never set foot in a raid that play 24/7. So don't try so hard.
    The main raid is a short one once downed, but a lot of the top guilds also have alt runs (3-4-5 different runs) to gear up as many alts as possible so they have as many varied alts in case a particular class is needed for a specific fight.

These guilds love raiding and its not unusual for them to raid multiple times a week.

Deleted
    Ofc there is: LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT

Some people like to Farm BiS, even if it's not really needed anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by FemaleGoblinMage View Post
    After all, the hardest part has been already claimed. It's like in a sports championship, you don't continue playing once the winner is announced.
    Wait, you mean by you or by world first guilds?

Obviously there's a point in killing it if you haven't already. And if you have, there's still gear sets to complete etc. And if you have a good enough group you can sell runs.

P.S. WoW is nothing like a sports championship. Some people treat it like that, well good for them.
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

If you want to play next expansion, don't forget about heirlooms weapons dropping from garrosh. You can farm a nice weapon for all your alts

Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    When I still played... I'd stop once we killed the last boss in heroic. Since my guild was top 100 in america at the time, we could down bosses relatively close to when they were released. A good portion of my guild would continue to raid and obtain BiS gear... but the hunt ends after the last boss is down. There's no joy in killing bosses over and over hoping that the RNG gods bless you... if I want to play a loot based game, i'll happily play some D2 and start a new character. Wow is just at a point where it's not entertaining and the boss fights are far from original... in one way or another, the mechanics seem to mimic other past bosses, but then again it's hard to be creative when you've created quite a bit of boss mechanics already.
    If it was last boss of the expansion that makes sense, but most progression guilds would bench you if you didn't get properly geared between tiers to make the next round of progression faster.

I guess you were good friends with these guys.

If you derive your enjoyment from whether ANYONE has completed content or not.... stop playing any and all games.

Cause they were all tested, at least internally, before release, and beaten by said internal testers. It's all been done before you get it.

Your logic is flawed OP.
    Games are not necessarily "easier" today. You are just a better player.
    It takes more now to impress many gamers than it did 2-5 years ago, because so much has already been seen and done.
    Many players expect to be wow'd with every release of a beloved franchise.
    These are generally NOT the fault of the developers, but the fault of many players over-hyping and/or setting expectations too high.

10+ Year Old Account
    Born: Syracuse, NY; Currently live: Raleigh, NC
    After all, the hardest part has been already claimed. It's like in a sports championship, you don't continue playing once the winner is announced.
    Your comparison is flawed. In pro sports there are seasons that come to an end and elimination rounds to prune down the field. In competitive gaming there are no seasons just the game and a raid that comes out. Whoever gets there first win. The competition is over, but the game is still there to be played. Pro sports players work in the off season to keep in shape and to maintain/improve their prowess on the field/pitch/rink/court. The comparisons don't work.

Farming gear for when the next tier is released.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    If it was last boss of the expansion that makes sense, but most progression guilds would bench you if you didn't get properly geared between tiers to make the next round of progression faster.

I guess you were good friends with these guys.
    oh sorry lol... I would come back a month or 2 before, but after everyone already got their gear and were BiS... that allowed me to get carried through runs and any piece of loot, shit you not, was mine when it dropped. I could have gone through all those raids and geared up slowly w/ everyone, but why do that when i can enjoy myself and get geared in a fraction of the time it took them?
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Were you only competing for the world first?

So people running a marathon should stop running it once the winner crosses the line? Your post is absurdly stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    oh sorry lol... I would come back a month or 2 before, but after everyone already got their gear and were BiS... that allowed me to get carried through runs and any piece of loot, shit you not, was mine when it dropped. I could have gone through all those raids and geared up slowly w/ everyone, but why do that when i can enjoy myself and get geared in a fraction of the time it took them?
    Oh I see. You shifty bastard haha.

Everything in the world has already been accomplished by someone. So may as well kill yourself OP, that'll show em!

10+ Year Old Account
    get better kill time, WoL ranks etc.

Deleted
    Get alll the Garrosh heirlooms for alts!