Herald of the Titans BarelyLegalBear's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Stressing out over this project!

Hey guys, recently i started a Music History and Evolution Project in my English class and i am having a horrible time with it. I am literally stressing out over it because i cannot seem to find the information i need. I figured my fellow champions could help me out though. If you would, i will kindly give you my heart.

So here's the project. I am NOT asking you to do my work for me. I have to type this essay and do a presentation myself. All i need help with, is finding some information.

I have to choose a band/artist that had sort of an impact on music. (made what it is today) Thing is, the band/artist MUST still be alive, it can be different people in the group but they must still be doing tours. He wants someone from about 1990. (can be earlier)

I have came up with the following bands: Queen, AC/DC, Journey and Aerosmith. The genre i am probably going to focus on is rock. I only have to choose one of them though. I am leaning towards Queen because they still have 2 original band members. Are they still touring? That is something i need to know, i read on their website that they are still touring, this true?
    Now the tough part, Why was Queen important than and now? How did they influence rock? How did they make rock what it is today? How did Freddie Mercury death affect the band?

I have looked on many websites and i am not allowed to use Wikipedia. I could not find anything. I feel like i am crap out of luck. If you guys have any suggestions or can recommend an artist/band with the specific genre that they helped made what it is today. I would like to continue with Queen but if they are not still touring, then i will screw this up. That would be great to know (mentioned earlier)

Thanks for any help, I really appreciate any kind of help. I am not asking you to do my work but i am stressing over this because it is due Monday and i can't find anything so really i just need advice/websites (with information).

10+ Year Old Account
    Ahem.. Rolling Stones? Pink Floyd?

10+ Year Old Account
    Queen was the first rock band to really use operatic style arrangements. Pretty much any rock band from the late eighties till today owes Queen a huge debt.

Some info to get started.

As above stated, Floyd would be an excellent choice, but they aren't touring anymore.
    "Stop being a giant trolling asshole." - Boubouille
    "The Internet is built on complaints about asinine things" - prefect
    "Facts became discussable when critical thinking stopped being the focus of education."- Chonogo
    "Sometimes people confuse "We Don't Understand This Yet" with "Ooga Booga Space Magic" - Chazus

Deleted
    Use wikipedia and refer to the sources wikipedia refers to and you are good to go : /

Brewmaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    I would recommend Supertramp. Rather interesting to read up on, and as far as I know they're still touring occasionally.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Urti View Post
    As above stated, Floyd would be an excellent choice, but they aren't touring anymore.
    *not yet, that is

Black Sabbath, Metallica, Iron Maiden

For music in the 90s, some candidates: Alice in Chains, Rage Against the Machine, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots, Nine inch Nails

10+ Year Old Account
    Black Sabbath ofc
    I like sandwiches

10+ Year Old Account
    Im trying to think if Metallica would fit in their but they didn't come out till a little bit later.

10+ Year Old Account
    As i asked in the OP, is Queen still doing tours?
    I did check on the website and it said they did a extravaganza. Are they still touring though? Would be great to know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stevo5566 View Post
    As i asked in the OP, is Queen still doing tours?
    I did check on the website and it said they did a extravaganza. Are they still touring though? Would be great to know.
    The last thing I remember hearing about Queen was Adam Lambert (American Idol) was doing some stuff with them. I didn't care to hear much about their current music after that

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Urti View Post
    Queen was the first rock band to really use operatic style arrangements. Pretty much any rock band from the late eighties till today owes Queen a huge debt.

Some info to get started.

I checked out the website and it gave me a few ideas on how they influenced rock. A few changes. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Payday View Post
    The last thing I remember hearing about Queen was Adam Lambert (American Idol) was doing some stuff with them. I didn't care to hear much about their current music after that
    I read that too, i'll just stick with my gut for them.

Also! Does anyone know why Queen was important than and are still important now? What did they do to make rock what it is today?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stevo5566 View Post
    I checked out the website and it gave me a few ideas on how they influenced rock. A few changes. Thank you

I read that too, i'll just stick with my gut for them.

Also! Does anyone know why Queen was important than and are still important now? What did they do to make rock what it is today?
    Google "Queen's impact on music".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Google "Queen's impact on music".
    You gotta be fucking kidding me.....I Google this and get just about everything i need. Out of everything i typed in on Google, I COULD NOT FIND ANYTHING! But this? well damn, thank you so much. You are truly a hero. You may kindly take my heart now.