No pay for Congress during the shutdown

Saw this going around, thought it was worth sharing. I can't post links yet so perhaps someone else would like to help out.. here is a broken link..

(http)//petitions.moveon(dot)org/sign/tell-congress-you-have.fb31?source=s.fb.ty&r_by=2884941

smile is a colon..

We should just follow Queen Elizabeth's example.

I would actually like to take this a step further and fine them each day they can't do their job.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    I would actually like to take this a step further and fine them each day they can't do their job.
    I agree with this. A fine of $10,000 a day sounds good to me. If they can't get it done by 17 days, they'll start losing money.

Let's take it another step further and run the government from their reelection coffers during the shutdown.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good hopefully it stays shut down long enough for them to run out of money and be forced to get a shit job and have them see how it is from our point of view.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

They shouldn't be getting pay, but at the same time, I (PERSONALLY) feel that these online petitions are eye-roll-worthy.

Anyway, there's a main thread that this could have been posted in.

Quote Originally Posted by Thetruth1400 View Post
    I agree with this. A fine of $10,000 a day sounds good to me. If they can't get it done by 17 days, they'll start losing money.
    Only problem with that, the ones who are holding everyone hostage are all millionaires from before they entered politics.

10+ Year Old Account
    As if they rely on their salaries. I am guessing that a small minority do. That is one of the biggest problems is that we have a ton of super wealthy reps that bought seats.
    I like sandwiches

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Unfortunately it really doesn't matter. How many run of the mill congressmen (or women) are there? Most are incredibly wealthy or are millionaires before they start their political career anyway, hence why most get elected in the first place. So in the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter if they get paid or not lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
    Only problem with that, the ones who are holding everyone hostage are all millionaires from before they entered politics.
    And they are backed by billionaires so eh, beyond attempt of making a point it'd be quite useless.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm tall, and thin, with a bright red head but strike me once and I'm black instead...
    Actually - many of them become millionaires AFTER they enter politics as a result of their insider trading that they let themselves do while arresting anyone else who does it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_866387.html
    http://finance.townhall.com/columnis..._a_millionaire

Oh - and Democrats are better and bilking the system than Republicans...

"The study found some significant difference based on party membership and seniority, with the Democratic sample beating the market by nearly 9% annually, versus only about 2% annually for the Republican sample."

There's only one problem with this petition. The only people who can make it happen are the Congress and Senate and I really doubt that they're going to nullify their own salaries for any reason.
    “Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”
    ― G.K. Chesterton

I'm not just a white knight. I'm a freaking Paladin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Constitution of the United States of America
    No law, varying the compensation for the services of the Senators and Representatives, shall take effect, until an election of Representatives shall have intervened
    While I understand the feeling, they're constitutionally mandated to keep getting paid. And I'm guessing most of those signing the petition don't realize they'd need to repeal the 27th Amendment to the Constitution to pull that off; this isn't something a petition can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    While I understand the feeling, they're constitutionally mandated to keep getting paid. And I'm guessing most of those signing the petition don't realize they'd need to repeal the 27th Amendment to the Constitution to pull that off; this isn't something a petition can do.
    It should have read 'increasing'. It was created over 200 years ago for the purpose of limiting the power of Congress to increase their own wages, but was never adopted until 1992.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
    Ok but how about banning them for all time from building a library named after themselves.
    Should scare most of them, its a popular way to polish ones dented legacy!
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think a fair deal is this: If you take your pay, then you get fined. Because you're basically demanding to be paid for not working, and that's a load. If you refuse to accept your pay, then you won't get fined.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.