Vengeance - Can someone explain it better to me?

I'm a little in the dark on vengeance, I just came back to tanking this patch. I understand that when you take an unmitigated melee or ranged attack you gain 1.5% (I think) of that hit as attack power. I just don't understand when it scales better or what happens with it for example Thok, I hear of warriors getting 500k+ shields and 1.5m crit hits with shield slam.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingbowser13 View Post
    I'm a little in the dark on vengeance, I just came back to tanking this patch. I understand that when you take an unmitigated melee or ranged attack you gain 1.5% (I think) of that hit as attack power. I just don't understand when it scales better or what happens with it for example Thok, I hear of warriors getting 500k+ shields and 1.5m crit hits with shield slam.
    What exactly do you mean when it scales better?

Basically the more attack power you have, the bigger your shield barrier and shield slams will be, which I'm sure you knew. The scaling of each is fairly linear with attack power

Deleted
    Mayhaps he means that everything scales differently, so some things outpace others the more vengeance you have. I mean, everything scales linearly, but some things do it with a better ramp that others. Ie, devastate scales with 0.376*Ap, Shield Slam with 1.5*AP and Execute with 2.55*AP. And of course, since all abilities have some "offset", if A hits for more with 0 vengeance than B, B can hit for more with 200k vengeance (revenge vs devastate, for example).

Basically the harder you're being hit, the more vengeance you will be given. Active mitigation/healing/damage all scale off of attack power, which is inflated with vengeance. Thok hits really hard, therefore you can achieve enormous damage and huge Shield Barriers.

Sorry I don't know the math off-hand if that's what you need, but that's the gist of it.

Here's a tip: if you're going to take a huge hit that will increase your vengeance a lot, like Lei Shen's Decapitate, pop last stand/rallying cry before the hit, so the vengeance cap will be higher (assuming you get close to the cap without any hp increase buff).

Thanks a bunch for the replies guys.