Is demo viable for thok?

So, my guild started on Thok the bloodthirsty and ran into a dps problem. We have two warlocks, both destro. They can hardly dps during phase one so I got a few questions. 1)Is demo good or even worth it for thok since its all instants? 2)Shouldn't they use KJC over Archimodes for this fight? 3)How likely are we to run into dps problems from our warlocks if neither of them have at least the legendary meta?

I am concerned. They seem ok for aoe since they are destro, but for single target fights, they really lack since they refuse to go affliction.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    I am concerned. They seem ok for aoe since they are destro, but for single target fights, they really lack since they refuse to go affliction.
    I am assuming you are talking normal!
    -Destro can do fine, but you need to be planning your dps strategically - no point starting a cast you can't finish, etc.
    -I play this as affi, because I am lazy, and its easy to just /stopcasting malefic grasp, without losing much dps.
    -Demo should have the same benefit to a large degree, in that you can stay caster during the early stacks, and stay pretty much in meta till it pushes for the later stacks - depending on how many stacks you hold out for.

For all specs, remember that you can glyph to reduce unending resolve to a 2min cd (silence immunity) - this combined with Devo Aura(s) can give a huge amount of relief during the later stacks of p1, and should be up every time - or at least it is for me in 25m.
    Last edited by rijn dael; 2013-10-11 at 06:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rijn dael View Post
    I am assuming you are talking normal!
    -Destro can do fine, but you need to be planning your dps strategically - no point starting a cast you can't finish, etc.
    -I play this as affi, because I am lazy, and its easy to just /stopcasting malefic grasp, without losing much dps.
    -Demo should have the same benefit to a large degree, in that you can stay caster during the early stacks, and stay pretty much in meta till it pushes for the later stacks - depending on how many stacks you hold out for.

For all specs, remember that you can glyph to reduce silence immunity to a 2min cd - this combined with Devo Aura can give a huge amount of relief during the later stacks of p1.
    What about the talent? Should they take KJC over archi?

I am a strong user of KJC, so I am probably biased in that regard - I use it on practically everything outside protectors.
    I wouldn't do the fight without KJC, but I wouldn't do the fight as anything but affliction either :P
    Last edited by rijn dael; 2013-10-11 at 07:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rijn dael View Post
    I am a strong user of KJC, so I am probably biased in that regard - I use it on practically everything outside protectors.
    I wouldn't do the fight without KJC, but I wouldn't do the fight as anything but affliction either :P
    I can see KJC being so much stronger on Thok then Archi, just because of how much he moves / how often you cant cast.

Deleted
    I prefer using AD on the fight. You don't really have to move that much, and the small bits of movement (moving away when he transitions, chasing him a bit to keep DPSing and running away from the fixate) can easily be handled with Fel Flame, imo. Additionally, instead of using a separate stopcasting macro/pressing Esc/moving, I use Fel Flame to interrupt a cast/channel I won't be able to complete before the next interrupt.
    Last edited by mmoc112630d291; 2013-10-11 at 07:45 AM.

Deleted
    I honestly thought demo was dead, tried it on a Thok flex run with destro reforges, mastery > crit > haste, and it actually performed very well, i used AD talent btw, worked great, basically picked my moments on going into meta, best time was building all your fury up between screech phases, then dumpin all your fury with AD, procs etc... It worked very well, and for 555ilvl at the time, i think i was hitting like 280k dps? Demo may not be ahead in most fights or very competitive, but it really does shine on Thok!

Deleted
    I do fine with destruction on that fight. Tell your locks, if they aren't, to glyph unending resolve so they have a 2 min cooldown on an 8 second silence immunity, and to use it at a point when he is casting every second to get 3 chaos bolts off. It should line up with every phase 1, assuming you allow P2 to run long enough. Beyond that, they just need to know how long their casts take.

As far as the opening goes, the usual pre-cast, 2 conflags, 3-4 incinerates and 2 chaos bolts should all fit in before his first screech. And when he is spamming screech you can still usually fit one inci / immo + fel flame / conflag between.

Deleted
    What about the talent? Should they take KJC over archi?
    I can see KJC being so much stronger on Thok then Archi, just because of how much he moves / how often you cant cast.
    Maybe you have a different kiting path, but I've never found KJC necessary on Thok. Usually play as affliction but I've also done it as demo. Demo is mobile enough as is and Fel Flame provides enough fury that KJC is just pointless. Affliction I'm just never out of range of the boss / needing to move other than if I get fixated, in which case Fel Flame / LT / Dot refreshes is again enough.

Deleted
    according to sparkuggz in bis gear, all 3 specs are about 700 dps apart which makes what ever spec you pick fairly unimportant, until you reach that lvl destro is often better and destro works fine on thok, atleast i have no issues topping meters for our guild, but i would say that afflic and demo is proly better on thok, since you can have your dots(afflic) up and dealing dmg should you get spelllocked. all 3 specs should do fine on thok.

Yes demo is still viable. It takes more effort and more perfect play to achieve the same results as affliction and destro, so if you're still in love with demo, I'd say go for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lakers01 View Post
    I have been Destructon since the Demo nerf but thought about giving it a try when we go back on Thok Monday, we only got a few pulls in. Should I be using Imp Swarm Glyph or is that a DPS loss now?
    Since Imp nerf it's worthless.