Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I played from late Vanilla Beta and I quit with the release of argent tourney. A one room dungeon and a ton of dailies passed off as content was infuriating. Particularly after how great Ulduar was.

I came back in the middle of Cataclysm to see if things got better. The removal of player choice by forcing people to the end of talent trees and the mastery stat discouraging armor mixing, combined with starting in the middle of an expansion and people expecting you to know the dungeons had me not renewing my sub.

I then tried Pandaria during beta. I found there too be too little content and too many dailies, repeating my issues with Argent Tourney combined with the increased reduction of user choice through class tailored quest rewards and a top tier of glyphs renamed as talents had me not even giving this expansion the time Cataclysm got.

At this point I occasionally activate the game when I get a free week. I don't plan on spending money on WoW till there's some character management decisions returned to the players.

I started out 2 months after burning crusade started on the Elune server, and quit after 2 weeks because I thought the game was crap (march 07). Came back july 08 for 2 months, first on the Dalaran server, then moved to Moon Guard (and free transfered to Wyrmrest Accord when they first created that server). Quit at the end of the 60 day time card due to lack of money. Came back March 09 to Echo Isles server when I found out my sister and her hubby were playing. Played until I finished the Molten Front in 2011, when I got tired of Cataclysm. Moved to Rift from August to October. Came back to WoW in November 2011 for the anniversary, quit in March 2012 because I didn't care for Dragon Soul. Came back again October 2012 for Pandaria, quit again February 2013 after finishing my Operation Landfall rep, and because I just lost interest. Came back again at the release of 5.4, been playing since. My time runs out on Friday, and not sure when I will be able to get more play time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Haven't quit yet, but it's only a matter of time, unless the new xpac takes a drastic turn for the "better".

I like talent trees, even if they are only "illusions of choice". I like separate classes having separate niches. I like different classes playing completely differently, not every single spec applying their dots, stacking their cooldowns, spamming their nukes in the exact same priority and using their procs when applicable.

I don't really care how hard or easy the game is, as long as there's plenty to do. E.g I loved BCs insanely hard early-on heroics, and I also loved WotLKs EXTREMELY easy heroics - I did each of WotLKs heroics well over a hundred times EACH, if that's any indication of how much I enjoyed them. Except the Occulus. No-one likes the Occulus.

I much preferred the game telling you the story simply by you playing it, not hand-holding you through everything. Gave more room for imagination. You're writing your own story, not the game spamming you down with RP crap 24/7.

PvP was ruined for me when every single class/spec has an interrupt, slow, cc, root etc, all rather effortless to use. Sure, maybe it's easier to "balance", but boy, is that a loaded word. I think there are far worse fates in a game than not having every single spec balanced perfectly, and Blizzard most certainly has forgotten this.

While I don't think people HAVE to do LFR etc, and that it's definitely great for unskilled players (the "no time" thing doesn't really do much for me, since even on my dead end server, weekend PuGs are already clearing the instance on normal) it does contribute to burnout rather quickly, since people who have upgrades from there will feel compelled to do it over, and over, and over again, on normal as well, until said upgrade potential has been exhausted. Sure, they can choose not to do it, but that's just as simple as choosing not to improve their character. Not logical. I think Flex should replace LFR - very easy, very laid-back, but not so easy that a large proportion of the raid can quite literally AFK the entire fight and DEMAND that other people carry them, time and again. Pretty sure no-one in the world's stupid enough to have forgotten that you only get out what you put in.

If they ever sell microtransactions for gear, I'm instantly out too, on principle, but that goes without saying. They're kinda close on the XP flask thing, but as long as it's not there for the first few weeks of the expansion, it's not a gamebreaker. Keep P2W out of my games.

I think it's a real shame that server communities are all but dead. I don't really know how they could has fixed this without merging realms left right and center, but I really do miss Vanilla/BC realm pride, trash talk, competitiveness, socialization etc. Sure, it was slower to find groups etc, but why the rush? Why do you have to get everything you want RIGHT NOW? Is it necessary?

Quit in 4.3 got so bored that patch it was unreal. Quit again in 5.2 because I got bored and I'm playing it again. It's not like the old days but it's okay.

I did a few months ago.
    The people fucked my mind up too much. I got to be really hateful over having to deal with certain personality types. (the, "we have 3 heroic bosses down and we are elite, everyone is a piece of shit" types) I been playing another game and am pretty freaking happy. lol
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Quit a couple months after MoP released, but purely for RL matters. I moved across the ocean to the US and managed to adjust my timetable so that I was able to finish 4.3 with my guild but as the new semester started I had to give up. Tried doign it all over again on US realms, but no relatively high end guild is going to waste their time (or did) with a guy that has 3 weeks old characters in greens and who asks you to rely on his word that he's not retarded. And because the only thing I ever liked to do is highish end pve, my characters have been revived a month at the release of each patch, usually for me to log on a couple of days and not go back again.

Shame too, MoP really looked fun, I really wish I could have done some progress. Oh well :/

When? After 1-2 months of forcing myself to play the monstrosity that is MOP.
    Why? All the silliness and childishness (pandas, pokemon etc), faceroll difficulty level (leveling, 5-mans, heroics, LFR), lack of content (too few 5-mans, nothing other than dailies)

10+ Year Old Account
    Because something about the patch leading into pandaland and/or pandaland itself caused my system to start bluescreenig. Screwing with my limited hardware options and several re-instals did nothing to fix the problem. So not so much quit wow as unable to play. That said the rep systems and gutting of 5-mans really helped to kill my urge to resume play. Come the next xpack im hoping to see several things brought back to a cata era level before I drop the money and upgrade
    Wrath baby and proud of it

I started playing WoW during beta, and quit during WotLK, right before they released the Arthas raid.

I played a lot (sometimes entire days in a row) during my whole bachelor's degree. I was bored with real life and WoW helped me through that.

But by that point I had gotten into my master's degree, and I was finding more interesting things to do with my time. I no longer felt like I could afford the time which WoW cost me.

I returned a month each for Cata and MOP, and I didn't dislike what I saw. My 5-year guild had moved on, however, and so had my willingness to play as much as I did before.

I'll return again for the release of the next expansion, just because WoW is still such a great game. But after the leveling, it's hard to find a real purpose.

I quit several times, mostly due to class imbalance (main is Shaman and made twinks). The only time I quit out of "boredom" was during Dragon Soul. After we got Heroic Madness down I was so relieved. I didn't like the instance from the first step inside. I feel LFR had a lot to do with it though.

Recently though I had to quit 7 months ago because I went to study abroad in Brazil. I could've played here but I decided it was better I didn't have distractions and took advantage of my time away from home.

I won't be returning to the PVE scene (apart from Challenge Modes) since LFR and Flex exist. I could justify the effort in Normal and Heroics because I was seeing the instance the first time around and went for the challenge/prestige the second.

Now it feels like it's all diluted. I quit real raiding in favor of LFR but I found that seriously underwhelming. So the result is I quit raiding all together.

Luckily I do find PvP very enjoyable so I'll be focusing on that.

Didn't have the time or energy to commit to raiding (I don't enjoy raiding if there isn't challenge, and any level of raiding that is challenging takes time), not enough in the game outside of raiding to hold my interest.

*shrug*

My guild stopped raiding when Dragon Soul came out. I've been off and on ever since, but haven't been on a raiding team so there's been no real reason for me to keep my sub active. That's all the game is really about for me.

I've only quit (real) WoW once so far. Back in January before 5.2 was even fully explained. I came back in June and still play now. Why'd I quit? Lost interest in the game and raiding got to be more stressful and my raid spot's conditions had become "bring what class we need, not what you want to play."

Do I regret it? No. Do I wish I could still raid normals/heroics? Kind of. If I had total privacy on the right nights, I'd actually be willing to play a class (or role) simply for the fun of succeeding as a team; but, those days are probably behind me now. At least for this tier.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

10+ Year Old Account
    I quit about 6 months ago and have no urge to go back.
    Depending on what the next expansion is about I might come back but it's unlikely unless I see some serious changes. Mainly the fact that "content" consists of doing the same raid over and over just on different difficulties.

quit over 2 and half years ago, about a month after Cataclysm released

most of the people who I've played with had stopped playing and the game wasn't engaging by itself for me to play without friends

I had a good time with it though, no regrets playing it.

15+ Year Old Account
    I quit the first time for financial reasons. The next few came due to time constraints with real life over the course of Wrath and tbc. Most recent (when cata ended) was due to being 100% finished with being hardcore.

I sub for a month of so now, usually when an patch comes out, thanks to the "paid time" option blizzard has. TBH, it feels weird being both casual and at the bottom of the food chain looking up (and completely out of the loop BiS-wise for my main) after being a hardcore raider for yrs.

I quit when argent tourney came up. Had to focus on college a bit more. Fun times. I go back now and then for the free days they hand out once in awhile but just for that. I don't renew or anything like that.

I quit raiding briefly in TBC as my Guild was starting T6, the reason for that was work related, I still played but very casually mainly just pvp'ing and playing alts. Towards the end of Wotlk I quit WoW completlyfor 6 months due to lack of satisfaction with raiding, I found a CS:S server that had a solid community and I just played that instead.
    I got dragged back in Cata by RL friends/Family but we all quit within the first 3 months, came back to raid in a Guild quit again for lack of satisfaction of endgame also I wasn't really into the lore at that point. Played for short stints in MoP but again WoW struggles to keep me gripped.

I'd say overall, compared to Vanilla/TBC I don't play computer games anywhere near as much as I did, I started playing guitar again which got me heavily back into music and also took up Golf again.

Played from Beta until I had a 90 Panda Monk and a couple other 90s in MOP....

Main reason I quit was that since Cata my guild of friends tended to pursue content and progression on an individual level. With phasing, questing with friends was a pain. we were working on end-game content as a guild until DS LFR was opened, then everyone was progressing on their level at their pace on their time. The social aspects of the guild died and I came to realize logging in and playing with friends was the meat of the game I enjoyed most. I was hoping MOP would help bring back some guild cohesion, but it only made it more extreme. Some raided, some heroiced, some quested... but never found anything to do as a guild.

my friend quit cause he couldn't gear up his alts like he did in wrath and cata, because of the gated gear