Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

What motivates you to work?

Most of us work long and tedious days with jobs we don't really enjoy and we need to have a carrot in life, something that motivates us to wake up and go to work or school every morning. I'm curious what your "carrot" is, what do you tell/promise yourself so that you remain motivated enough to continue? Or do you simply work to survive in wait for better times?

For me it's travels. I want to travel across the globe and that is a strong enough motivator for me.

Deleted
    money

10 char

Money, used to be a sense of pride, duty, and honor b4 the air force down sized and i was forced to become a civvy :/

Deleted
    Only money? Don't you have any plans to use that money on something or just stockpiling?

I grew up with very limited means, so I worked hard in school and to get a good job so I don't have to live paycheck to paycheck and that I don't get financially ruined by unexpected expenditures.

Also, women. A good income isn't the sole attractor, but it's definitely a big arrow in the quiver of attractive traits.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jevlin View Post
    Only money? Don't you have any plans to use that money on something or just stockpiling?
    sure - to spend it on myself and loved ones.

still, to answer your question: money is what motivates me to go to work.

15+ Year Old Account
    Money

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rawhammer View Post
    sure - to spend it on myself and loved ones.

still, to answer your question: money is what motivates me to go to work.
    For me money is the REASON I go to work but it's not what motivates me to work. Does that make sense? Probably not, lol. xD

I have no motivation to work.

becoming the best designer/artist in photoshop and illustrator
    working fulltime as an intern for now and aiming to start my own advertising agency after

15+ Year Old Account
    Money (because capitalism) and learning. I enjoy learning from my job.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Independence and freedom. You could say thats a result of money though. But it's not money that motives me.

Edit: At work it's important for me to feel valueable, knowing that I'm competent and able to perform my job in a good way and that others rely on me doing my part, but also that my colleagues are cool, because that will push you to want to work for and with them as a team, I also like having control on how to meet the objectives(independence).

A great boss can be motiving as well as they can lift you up or push you down, mentally.

Edit #2: I've liked most of the places I've been employed at.
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2013-10-21 at 10:21 AM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Deleted
    Money money and money. I then use that money to travel and sleep with as many ladies i can.

The desire to get out of the cycle of unemployment, I've pretty much been unemployed for something like 31 of the last 36 months, granted 11 months of that was pretty much a "planned" work break following a severe illness, but the majority of it was just a lack of employment opportunities being around. It helps that I actually enjoy my work and the place I work is fairly relaxed & welcoming (well, it is so far I've only just started) and it's something I've done pretty much my entire career.

I used to be heavily motivated by the money, but after being ill it kinda makes you re-evaluate your outlook and well, the cash in that job was "reasonable" but the associated bullshit that went along with it was a thousand times worse than going through illness and I wasn't prepared to accept that, not for the money I was on! (pressure, stress, culture of blame, no prospects, constantly being put down & constant low staff morale as a result of poor management from the very top to store level)
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

Deleted
    Cash money yo. I need it for beer and activities.

Deleted
    And that's why you should build a career instead of working a job.

Deleted
    money!

if i didn't have a job, i wouldn't have money, without money i wouldn't be able to buy myself new clothes, games, build my pc and upgrade it regularly, go on holidays, go out with friends. i don't hate my job that much anyway and it pays quite a bit above minimum wage for a simple job so its pretty good.

ive worked jobs i hate before, and it really wasn't worth the money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post
    I have no motivation to work.
    Same here with regards to full time work. Work means you are sleep deprived and you're too knackered to use your brain on constructive things like programming, surveys show that boredom can lower life expectancy by 5 years. Plus, depending on the job, you have obnoxious bosses slowly nitpicking at you as time goes on. The biggest regret of old people is that they worked too hard.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't have a motivation to work per say, but I do have the motivation to not live on the street instead of my house...

Deleted
    I enjoy my job, although it is a good thing I have short hair because I frequently feel like screaming and pulling it all out.