Poll: how do you view theft?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

how do you view theft?

im not asking from a legal standpoint im asking from a moral/ethical standpoint.
    do you take a hard stance against theft and believe any stealing is stealing no matter what?
    do you think it depends on the circumstances/situation?
    or do you believe people should be free to take whatever they want?(in a "the strong dominate the weak" type viewpoint)
    also if you could please post why you believe so.

JUST TO CLARIFY THIS ISNT SPECIFICALLY ABOUT THE MORALITY OF ANY ONE TYPE OF THEFT/PERCEIVED THEFT BUT THEFT IN GENERAL.
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2013-10-22 at 06:19 AM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Deleted
    If a person steals out of desperate need in circumstances of poverty, i cannot condone it - but neither can i condemn them.

Outside that, where it's already cruelly punished in third world nations (Think fingers&hands cut, beatings, burnings, ect) i think of it as extremely petty.

Deleted
    Theft to me depends what is stolen. In my job theft is extremely common and expected, any Military kit not permanently marked will usually be nicked, in return you nick someone elses, it is a big circle that ends when people wise up and mark it in permanent ink. Personal items and money are massively off limits though, theres a big difference between nicking an issue jacket and a mobile phone.

Deleted
    It's bad.

My view on theft is the same as any other crime; a person who does it is worthless. If I caught someone stealing in my house, I would gun them down in an instant and make the world a better place. Nobody has the right to steal from others, except insurance companies.

I don't condone it. It's very easy to take a Jean Valjeane/Les Misérables point of view that thieves only steal out of necessity, be it a loaf of bread or otherwise; but the reality today is hardly comparable to the era in which such a dramatic piece was set. The likes of the London Riots indeed, proved the opposite to be true; that many people proudly maintain a looter's mentality, and should not be painted as any sort of victim.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is hard to blame someone that is starving for trying to live. Not as common as it once was, but still very relevant today.
    I like sandwiches

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't condone it for selfish or jealous reasons, like my guildy who had his entire apartment looted and left with nothing. And while I think that stealing from the rich and giving to the poor (ala Robin Hood) is ok if the rich person is abusive/greedy, I know that such actions will never fix the core issue.

As sorry as I felt for Jean Valjean, he shouldn't have stolen.

Or Aladdin.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    As sorry as I felt for Jean Valjean, he shouldn't have stolen.

Or Aladdin.
    How many people find themselves in a situation similar to Aladdin in first world countries? Honestly.

Deleted
    Theft is always wrong.. however the real question here is what is a theft? If you take something and the original remains intact, its not really stealing in my book so it's ok. For personal use anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    I stole some tylenol back in the winter of '90. I was desperate to cure this massive headache from a flu i had and I had no money.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    Theft is always wrong.. however the real question here is what is a theft? If you take something and the original remains intact, its not really stealing in my book so it's ok. For personal use anyway.
    Pirate ALL the things!
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    How about you not try turning this into piracy discussion? We already had that a million times.

It depends. Is it considered theft to steal back something that was stolen from you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Deleted
    tough one, i can turn a blind eye to a starving person stealing a banana from a supermarket and similar situation, but i could never agree with someone stealing someones TV just because they want one, or taking someones money.
    in like 90% of cases of theft i disagree with it.

I understand theft out of desperation, particularly petty theft.

I fucking hate people that make careers out of theft. If I caught someone trying to steal my bike, for example, I'd hope they get the absolute maximum penalty available by law. These people are horrible, destructive pieces of shit that aren't fit to participate in society.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    It depends. Is it considered theft to steal back something that was stolen from you?
    Nope. Certainly not.

Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    My view on theft is the same as any other crime; a person who does it is worthless. If I caught someone stealing in my house, I would gun them down in an instant and make the world a better place. Nobody has the right to steal from others, except insurance companies.
    Some day you'll go to prison and that's where you will stay.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Some day you'll go to prison and that's where you will stay.
    Depending on where he lives, that's debatable. Having been burgled three times in the past (thus far), I can't say I have any pity for burglars and whatever fates may befall them.