Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Galaddriel View Post
    Your name is automatically appended with your original server name. Chat looks downright ridiculous and spammy with old realm names and it's jarring when you talk to NPCs since your old realm name may not fit at all with your character name.

They should offer free name changes to the merged players that would prefer to change a letter or two rather than this nonsense.

But I guess if you want to keep your name clean your best bet is to transfer to one of the high pop realms that won't be merged.
    Pretty sure it doesn't work exactly the way you are presenting it. I'm not on one of the connected realms on live, but I was on the PTR. Your server name was only appended to your character name for people not on your original server.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

look, it's not like i don't appreciate the effort blizz puts into fixing the whole dead-servers thingy. But hadn't it been quicker and easier by just grabbing a whole bunch of low populated servers, transfering all carakters to one big one, and giving this new server a brand new name? Basically reducing the amount of servers. The only benefit this elaborate system has now, is the fact they can make adjustment over time by adding or removing servers from each group. But meanwhile, a whole chunk of wow players have been suffering for years now...

Quote Originally Posted by rogas View Post
    look, it's not like i don't appreciate the effort blizz puts into fixing the whole dead-servers thingy. But hadn't it been quicker and easier by just grabbing a whole bunch of low populated servers, transfering all carakters to one big one, and giving this new server a brand new name?
    You're assuming that nothing will go wrong if you do that. If they lose data from any one realm from any one server, that will be a huge problem and would be like playing the lottery hoping that the merges don't kill your account or something.

look, it's not like i don't appreciate the effort blizz puts into fixing the whole dead-servers thingy. But hadn't it been quicker and easier by just grabbing a whole bunch of low populated servers, transfering all carakters to one big one, and giving this new server a brand new name? Basically reducing the amount of servers. The only benefit this elaborate system has now, is the fact they can make adjustment over time by adding or removing servers from each group. But meanwhile, a whole chunk of wow players have been suffering for years now...
    You speak as if this is a normal, easy thing to do and has been done for years. You realize that this is the first of its kind for all mmos?

They can add additional servers, but they won't disconnect a connected realm. It's an overcomplicated mess (IMO). Dealing with realm names is going to be reaaaaaaally fun.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diabl0 View Post
    They can add additional servers, but they won't disconnect a connected realm. It's an overcomplicated mess (IMO). Dealing with realm names is going to be reaaaaaaally fun.
    I don't think it'll be that bad at all. Unless they changed from how it was on the PTR, everyone on your original realm is still just "Name", and only folks from different-but-connected servers will be "Name-Server"
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diabl0 View Post
    They'll probably just be given a group.

'Bloodscalp Group' would be Bloodscalp + x + y + z

The only benefit this elaborate system has now, is the fact they can make adjustment over time by adding or removing servers from each group.
    Easier maybe, but a lot of people are REALLY into their character name, and would react very badly if they automatically lost it because of a server merge.

In addition (and this is probably a little tinfoil hat), "server merges" sounds bad to investors and the people that report video game news. Gradually "connecting" realms sounds a lot better, even if it is the exact same thing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Galaddriel View Post
    But I guess if you want to keep your name clean your best bet is to transfer to one of the high pop realms that won't be merged.
    Good luck getting things like Huolon kills done, or clicking a buff shrine on a high pop realm, not to mention getting the Chi-Ji buff.
    They're the most shitty realms one could roll on. I'd rather deal with the chat screen full of dual names than with a literally impossible to overcome competition for resources and content. Avoid them at all costs.

15+ Year Old Account
    There were some problems with the 1st set of servers. So it's possible they are testing small batches until 0 issues come up. Then they could possible ramp up the speed.