Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Jay, you do need to get help but you also need to do one other thing. Decide to change. If you don't like the person that you are then choose to be different and work to become so. It's not easy, and it's going to be painful; but if you really want to not make the same mistakes you say your parents did then it's time to step up.
    “Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”
    ― G.K. Chesterton

I'm not just a white knight. I'm a freaking Paladin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    Do I just hang it up and call it quits? Haven't seen my dad in 34 years. Turns out i'm just like him and I abandon children just like him.

Atleast as far as I know my Dad had a steady profession as far as I know. Myself I'm scraping by not knowing shit about any one profession. Maybe i'm being melodramatic but i don't think so.
    Well, if you recognize the behavior then you are in the right position to change things about yourself you may not want to be repeating.

I haven't seen my father in I don't know how long.

My daughter is growing up without her mother.

Who cares? There's more than enough love going around without them.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

10+ Year Old Account
    My parents are the reason I have decided I do not want children. They were (probably still are) horrible people, and I fear that if I have children, I will end up the same way. While I have no doubt that at this point in my life I am a much better person than they ever were, I can't help but have the thought that maybe it's a genetic thing.