Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 3

Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 3, I saw it on Steam yesterday and decided to be stupid and invest my money in something that could almost be called nostalgia (even though I still read the Naruto manga, I quit watching the animation *cough filleration *cough* a long time ago).

I'm absolutely terrible at most fighting games. I hate block systems that use the back key as a block key, so this immediately excludes a variety of fighting games from my library, such as Tekken and even the ones with active blocks I'm usually just mediocre at. The only exception being Virtua Fighter 5, where I had some characters that I could actually combo with properly.

I'm not intending this to be a "megathread" style thread, I just want to touch a few things that I like and dislike, plus a few ereas I feel are absolutely horrible (to me), but are no doubt part of what people call "skill".

What it seems to do reasonably well, is bringing a form of a narrative into a fighting game. We all know how shallow most fighting games are, Naruto has quite a library available to pluck some random storylines from and they manage to capture it ok-ish. At least there seem to be reasons to fight, which is sort of a requirement in a fighting game.

The action looks fluid, but feels kind of clunky. Perhaps it's just me, but there's a few things I absolutely dislike:

- Combo locking.
    It appears you can't stop a combo while you're in it, so pressing the block/guard button waaaaaay in time to guard against a counter doesn't do anything for you. Once your initial attack has been evaded, you're doomed to see yourself get ganked in the back, even though your reflexes are easily capable of responding. The same happens when you get locked in an enemy combo. There's parts where there appears to be room to use a move, but usually no interaction is allowed. Occasionally you even revert to your default combat pose (the one that is just you standing still doing nothing), making it appear as if you have ample time to guard against the second half of the combo sequence, but instead you're just looking at yourself being an idiot and not doing anything. In short, I feel the visual representation of what can and can't be 'combo broken' is really, really terrible.

- Combo Breaking.
    How the hell am I to find out what can and can't be broken, when it can be broken and how it can be broken?

- Fixed delays after using a move, or getting up.
    Nothing, absolutely nothing, on this planet, annoys me more than trucks playing catch with regular cars on the highway and irresponsive controls. Get struck down, get up, you can walk around but you can't block or use any ability. Finish any ability or combo and you're stuck with a second looking at your own back wondering why that block isn't up yet, screwing you over time and time again.

So basically, I absolutely suck. Apparently. I'm currently playing with keyboard, which makes for lousy control, but the truth is, when I block, I want to see my character block. I expect everything to get canceled midway and do what I tell it to do. The moment a fighting game does not immediately follow up on your actions, to me, it's game over for that game. Obviously where there's gravity, you need to fall, but I damn well expect to be able to cancel an attack sequence in the middle of it all and block an attack that's so obviously coming that even Naruto isn't stupid enough to not see it.

Besides telling me that I suck, is there any advice you can give me regarding my issue? Am I missing key combinations that do allow me to 'flex react'?

- - - Updated - - -

Well, that solved itself quite quickly once I started using a gamepad. The whole 'locked' thing appears to be a mistake on my part, since it can often be avoided by using both the left and the right shoulder buttons on the pad, something I didn't do on my laptop. This one tiny thing makes the game feel so much smoother and is actually enjoyable. The AI is somewhat easy to beat even on very hard.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2013-10-28 at 02:06 PM.

I saw this as well and thought about it, but might wait till it goes on sale. Is it pretty much just a fighter game like Street Fighter, Tekken, Mortal Kombat, etc? Or is there a story mode to it as well that you can play through like an action game?

i enjoy it.
    well im a sucker for naruto so i guess its a given

Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    I saw this as well and thought about it, but might wait till it goes on sale. Is it pretty much just a fighter game like Street Fighter, Tekken, Mortal Kombat, etc? Or is there a story mode to it as well that you can play through like an action game?
    The story is... this is actually a tough one.. the story is well done from a manga perspective. If you take a look at the anime, in short, you basically get anime with some sequences that you play, such as the combat. There's also some very linear 'roaming', which is supposed to immerse you into the story more ( I guess), but that part just feels off. If you're looking for open world action combat, no, you won't see much of that. Most fighting is done in the context of VS battles. The story around it however, it's not bad, which makes sense since it's a rehash of the Naruto main story line for the last ~150 chapters. You replay them, as it were.

Quote Originally Posted by Unproven View Post
    i enjoy it.
    well im a sucker for naruto so i guess its a given
    I also very much enjoy the game now. I had a really tough time dodging combo's, but I found the button! yay for me :P Currently doing the tournament. Getting trashed by Danzo.

i have every naruto game they have made for the ps2 and ps3. love these games because i'm a total narutard xD

i don't know how you can play it on computer though. i couldn't play any fighting game on computer >.<

10+ Year Old Account
    I just got this game myself, gave it a go but didn't have time to try bind everything to the keyboard, I don't see how a clearly controller designed combat system can work maybe it can but I'm just going to go pick up a wireless controller receiver.

Any recommendations to key layouts or what do you use (never played any of the previous Naruto games so is 100% fresh for me)

Deleted
    you could always use a controller.. some games just work better with one.

Quote Originally Posted by palladish View Post
    I just got this game myself, gave it a go but didn't have time to try bind everything to the keyboard, I don't see how a clearly controller designed combat system can work maybe it can but I'm just going to go pick up a wireless controller receiver.

Any recommendations to key layouts or what do you use (never played any of the previous Naruto games so is 100% fresh for me)
    I'm using :

Q W E R T Y U I O P
    - A S D F G H J K L
    - - Z X C V B N M

While I post that picture, it disabled one of the buttons, but you get the picture.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2013-10-29 at 11:17 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm absolutely terrible at most fighting games. I hate block systems that use the back key as a block key, so this immediately excludes a variety of fighting games from my library, such as Tekken and even the ones with active blocks I'm usually just mediocre at.
    You don't need to hold back to block on Tekken. Maybe that's what you're doing wrong.

How the hell am I to find out what can and can't be broken, when it can be broken and how it can be broken?
    In most fighting games, you're expect to do some research about those things. I have no idea why they don't include these things in the game.

. I expect everything to get canceled midway and do what I tell it to do. The moment a fighting game does not immediately follow up on your actions, to me, it's game over for that game.
    You have no idea how terrible is your idea.

You're calling "game over" before understanding the basics about fighting games. You're free not to like them, but this argument is silly. If you could cancel everything with block, you'd have insanelly safe characters and infinite combos everywhere...

Besides telling me that I suck, is there any advice you can give me regarding my issue? Am I missing key combinations that do allow me to 'flex react'?
    Don't make those moves that leaves you defenseless unless you're sure they'll hit. When in doubt, use faster moves, even if they are weaker. Dealing low damage is better than getting hit.
    Last edited by Hraklea; 2013-10-29 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hraklea View Post
    You don't need to hold back to block on Tekken. Maybe that's what you're doing wrong.

In most fighting games, you're expect to do some research about those things. I have no idea why they don't include these things in the game.

You have no idea how terrible is your idea.

You're calling "game over" before understanding the basics about fighting games. You're free not to like them, but this argument is silly. If you could cancel everything with block, you'd have insanelly safe characters and infinite combos everywhere...

Don't make those moves that leaves you defenseless unless you're sure they'll hit. When in doubt, use faster moves, even if they are weaker. Dealing low damage is better than getting hit.
    As I said below my original OP, everything has been solved. I can tree-stump-ify myself and get out of nasty business. Hell yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i don't know how you can play it on computer though. i couldn't play any fighting game on computer >.<
    the same way you play any console port that requires a controller.
    with a controller.

I'm a Naruto fan but I haven't been a fan of the past few fighting games. Generations and Storm 2 had elements that were fantastic, but each were missing something.

Storm 3 combines what made both solid fighters and made itself into an AMAZING fighting game.

I love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    Story mode works like a free roam where you travel around in the naruto universe and follow the story line of the manga, certain fights in the story mode features the sad and annoying quick time events where you must push/smash a certain button to continue. During certain fights in the story mode you get to choose between something called Legacy and hero actions which are basically hard or normal version of the fights. Some of the fights in story mode also feature multiple opponents at the same time which can be quite annoying since i felt the targeting was quite bad.
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

The combat is fluid, however..

Some characters are just overpowered. Guy for example is very much what I'd consider "OP". When you open inner gates he is just unstoppable. Well, he is ridiculously strong in the manga/anime too, but for a fighting game I'd figure it would be somewhat balanced. There are other god tier characters too that really water down otherwise decent fighting.

But it's fun for a while.

Edit. Oh yeah and try to play against Shino. God damn insects will devour you if you don't consume chakra all the time to get in to melee range.
    Last edited by Thes; 2013-10-29 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thes View Post
    The combat is fluid, however..

Some characters are just overpowered. Guy for example is very much what I'd consider "OP". When you open inner gates he is just unstoppable. Well, he is ridiculously strong in the manga/anime too, but for a fighting game I'd figure it would be somewhat balanced. There are other god tier characters too that really water down otherwise decent fighting.

But it's fun for a while.

Edit. Oh yeah and try to play against Shino. God damn insects will devour you if you don't consume chakra all the time to get in to melee range.
    I dunno, I have completed all tournaments on very hard right now and progressing through the storyline. I didn't really find anyone too hard or OP so far. I can win more easily with some characters, because I feel them more, that's a fact, but you can block/dodge pretty much any attack in the game as long as you time it (or so it seems) so nothing is OP.