Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    No, it's not. You are thinking the way as per your culture. They are thinking the way as per theirs.
    Logic transcends both. The obsession with purity in women and magical books do not stand up to reason which says they should not do it. But man culture this culture that it's a-ok to do stupid and unnecessarily cruel things to young girls, innit?

10+ Year Old Account
    No, it's not. You are thinking the way as per your culture. They are thinking the way as per theirs.
    Yet humans all seem to think somewhat alike. Not all behavior is attributable to nurture. Which is why you look to nature for moral answers.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just can't comprehend the mental gymnastics here.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Yet they cut off a slice of a mans penis for no reason other than its for hygiene reasons and religious reasons

Oh boy did i open a can of worms

In my Opinion nobody has the right to decide what to chop off from a babies anatomy NOBODY let the child grow up then decide to have circumcision or Female circumcision

BTW im uncut and i thank the lord my parents left me intact to enjoy sex the way nature intended unlike most people

Flame away i dont care!

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    Yet humans all seem to think somewhat alike.
    Obviously this is far from the case.

10+ Year Old Account
    Second star to the right, and straight on till morning
    Quote Originally Posted by Balazzar View Post
    If those countries want to do it, they can do it without Western financial backing IMHO. Embargoes on those countries, hefty tariffs, etc. If they want to do it in Western countries, they can be hauled off to prison or deported.

There, a nice balance between the relativists and moralists.
    This.

Honestly, this is a one of the few real slippery slope arguments, at least in my opinion. I'm hesitant to say that we (the global community) should march in and put boots on the ground to stop it, but I'm very uncomfortable with allowing it to go on and not working to stamp it out because someone says its their culture.

While armed intervention is a bit of an overreaction, at what point is it justified/a necessity?

Quote Originally Posted by Imbs View Post
    Logic transcends both. The obsession with purity in women and magical books do not stand up to reason which says they should not do it. But man culture this culture that it's a-ok to do stupid and unnecessarily cruel things to young girls, innit?
    Logic also shows that past incursions into other cultures is a failure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Combooticus View Post
    Yet they cut off a slice of a mans penis for no reason other than its for hygiene reasons and religious reasons
    There's also a lot of opposition to that and the practise thankfully appears to be dying out.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll give you that, but its an issue of implementation, not intention. You can't blanket call off legitimate humanitarian efforts because some haven't worked in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Combooticus View Post

Oh boy did i open a can of worms

In my Opinion nobody has the right to decide what to chop off from a babies anatomy NOBODY let the child grow up then decide to have circumcision or Female circumcision

BTW im uncut and i thank the lord my parents left me intact to enjoy sex the way nature intended unlike most people

Flame away i dont care!
    Cut. Against the cultural tendency to circumcise for non-medical reasons.

However, it's not even close to equitable to FGM. At all.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

10+ Year Old Account
    Obviously this is far from the case.
    Obviously it's not. We differ on some things. But most of us like sugar. Most of us won't turn to the person next to us and slit their throats for fun. Human behavior isn't random, it's simply diverse in a restricted field. The field's dirt is nature. What grows on it, and how, depends on where you sprinkle the water.

Quote Originally Posted by DestroDoc View Post
    I'll give you that, but its an issue of implementation, not intention. You can't blanket call off legitimate humanitarian efforts because some haven't worked in the past.
    Intentions are subjective. We intended to assist the Native Americans by "civilizing" them and look what we have now: a completely broken people that largely cannot function in the modern world.

All interventions do is get people killed and cause more suffering than they prevent.

10+ Year Old Account
    The best way I can relate male circumcision and female circumcision/FGM is a dog analogy. Some people remove dog's dew claws, because they like the look better, and because it can get caught on brush whilst hunting and other things. That's sort of like male circumcision. FGM would be more analogous to just cutting off their front legs.

Obviously its not a perfect analogy, but male circumcision and FGM are in no way even in the same scope. Please stop bringing it up in this thread, because they're not at all comparable.

Intentions are subjective. We intended to assist the Native Americans by "civilizing" them and look what we have now: a completely broken people that largely cannot function in the modern world.

All interventions do is get people killed and cause more suffering than they prevent.
    Not until much much much later was it ever our intention to 'civilize' the Native Americans. They were a gullible and cheap labor force who we could string along for baubles, and take what we wanted from.
    Last edited by DockyWocky; 2013-10-29 at 07:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not as messed up as telling other cultures in other countries what they can and can not do.
    If you had bothered to read the article, the practice - although outlawed in the UK - is still happening there.

I agree that it is the height of hubris to try to impose one nation's morality on another - and it rarely ends well; but within one nation's borders? The simple fact is, although the practice is illegal, it happens nonetheless because people are afraid to 'offend someone's culture'.

That is the point which the OP's article is addressing, and it is a valid one. And you missed it completely.

Quote Originally Posted by durrtygoodz View Post
    Why is females getting their vaginas snipped so terrible but young boys getting cut is fine?
    Level of male American, Jewish and Muslim acceptance i imagine...

10+ Year Old Account
    People have been intruding into the cultures of other nations for millenia, sometimes successfully, sometimes not - how do you think countries are formed, or religions expand?

Not really. A very small subset of people intended to "civilize the savages." Mostly, we just wanted them off the land so we could claim it.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

Breaking a culture is one of the hardest things to do

People feel just because it happened to them then it needs to happen to there children

Its absurd and deranged and needs to be broken and stoped just like arranged marriages and other absurd shit

Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    If you had bothered to read the article, the practice - although outlawed in the UK - is still happening there.
    Then maybe *gasp* enforce the law?

If she wants to change the law, she is well within her rights to advocate for them. But she cannot outright ignore the law when it suits her.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have been heard the "everybody has right to have an opinion" excuse for stupidity since I was born. We should not respect someone else's culture when it includes mutilating children.

Who made your culture "better"?
    Why do you think the criteria to say one culture is better than the other should be a "who"?