Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Typhoon Haiyan: 10,000 feared dead.

Police in the Philippines say they fear 10,000 people may have died in the devastation wreaked by Typhoon Haiyan.

The Philippine government has so far only confirmed the death of several hundred people after the storm struck.

But regional police chief Elmer Soria said he was told by the provincial governor of Leyte that there were about 10,000 deaths on the eastern island alone.

Hundreds of thousands of people are reported displaced from their homes.
    Philippine Interior Secretary Mar Roxas says the scale of the relief operation that is now required is overwhelming, with some places described as a wasteland of mud and debris.

Tecson Lim, city administrator of Tacloban in north east of Leyte, told the Associated Press that the death toll in the city alone "could go up to 10,000".

Meanwhile police chief Elmer Soria told Reuters about 70% to 80% of the area in the path of the storm in Leyte province was destroyed.

He reportedly said most of the deaths were from drowning or collapsed buildings.

Typhoon Haiyan - one of the most powerful storms on record to make landfall - swept through six central Philippine islands on Friday, wiping away homes.

It brought sustained winds of 235km/h (147mph), with gusts of 275 km/h (170 mph), with waves as high as 15m (45ft), bringing up to 400mm (15.75 inches) of rain in places.

The Pentagon has announced it is providing the Philippines with naval and aviation resources to help with humanitarian relief efforts.

In a statement, Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel said the US was delivering helicopters, fixed-wing aircraft and search and rescue equipment after a request from the Philippines government.

Capt John Andrews, deputy director general of the Civil Aviation Authority in the Philippines, told the BBC he had flown over the worst affected areas and seen "utter destruction".

"I have never seen such damage in my life," he said.

"It would probably be similar to having a tornado run over a big open space. At the airport, there's actually no structure left standing except the walls."

The typhoon is now bearing down on Vietnam, where tens of thousands are being evacuated.

The BBC Weather Centre says the typhoon is expected to make landfall south of Hanoi on Monday afternoon local time (between 03:00 and 09:00 GMT), although it will have decreased markedly in strength.
    I can only hope it's a gross overestimation on part of the authorities.
    Last edited by mmoc1aca3196c5; 2013-11-10 at 03:41 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    It probably will not be.
    As far as I understand from the past 5 days of news it is the most powerful typhon since the readings began.
    Lots of underdeveloped areas with poor structures and no communications still unreached.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tragic turn of events. Hopefully the damage will be in that range, I'm trying to remain optimistic. Recovery efforts are going to long and hard.

I was right under this, although our island didn't get hit hardest. Trees were pulled up, the cheaper houses had their roofs blown off; I spent the entire day hacking away at trees to get the paths opened up again.

Honestly, I was kind of expecting worse. Fucking shitty.

Philippine typhoon deaths climb into thousands.

TACLOBAN, Philippines (AP) - As many as 10,000 people are believed dead in one Philippine city alone after one of the worst storms ever recorded unleashed ferocious winds and giant waves that washed away homes and schools. Corpses hung from tree branches and were scattered along sidewalks and among flattened buildings, while looters raided grocery stores and gas stations in search of food, fuel and water.
    http://apnews.myway.com/article/20131110/DA9VLS880.html
    Didn't see a post about this but it seems like a pretty bad disaster, hearts out to anyone living in the area.
    Last edited by lockedout; 2013-11-10 at 10:01 PM.

There's been 3 other threads, this is the one with the most replies:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...00-feared-dead

It honestly seems no one cares, none of the threads seem to gain traction.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Honestly, I was kind of expecting worse. Fucking shitty.
    It's going to be a lot worse. This is just initial estimates - they probably haven't even all reports back by now.

10+ Year Old Account
    So sad.. I do hope it ends up an overestimate. Friend of mine has family over there, and her mother was currently still visiting. Last time I spoke to her, when the storm was still there or not far past, she wasn't sure yet. Need to catch up with her, see if she heard anything yet. :\

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Åmbulance View Post
    How and why should we care? 10000 people in some random corner of the world died. That's not news. Of course it's horrible for those who live there and for those whose families live there, or even those who know someone who lives there, but for the rest of the world, it's just yet another number. People die all over the world all the time.

I'm not sure what kind of traction this should gain. The kind of traction where people finally start building hurricane-proof housing? The kind of traction where people finally stop living in dangerous areas? The kind of traction where people finally accept climate change and start doing something about it? Perhaps you're looking for people to start donating money to the victims?

Yes, well... We can donate money to these people and care about them now, but next week it'll be some other horrific event somewhere, and the following week somewhere else. You can't care about everything. You'll just go crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    How and why should we care? 10000 people in some random corner of the world died. That's not news. Of course it's horrible for those who live there and for those whose families live there, or even those who know someone who lives there, but for the rest of the world, it's just yet another number. People die all over the world all the time.

I'm not sure what kind of traction this should gain. The kind of traction where people finally start building hurricane-proof housing? The kind of traction where people finally stop living in dangerous areas? The kind of traction where people finally accept climate change and start doing something about it? Perhaps you're looking for people to start donating money to the victims?

Yes, well... We can donate money to these people and care about them now, but next week it'll be some other horrific event somewhere, and the following week somewhere else. You can't care about everything. You'll just go crazy.
    And this ladies and gentlemen is why humanity sucks. People no longer care about one another any more.

Oh 10,000 people just died, eh screw em. I don't care. I'm safe so why should I bother with anyone outside myself?

We need to start looking out for one another, helping one another. If you see someone fall, you help them up. It's called being human. Maybe we should try that instead of this look out for number one bullcrap.
    “Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”
    ― G.K. Chesterton

I'm not just a white knight. I'm a freaking Paladin.

Quote Originally Posted by Åmbulance View Post
    There's been 3 other threads, this is the one with the most replies:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...00-feared-dead

Not that it isn't terrible but there isn't really much to discuss. This shit just happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post

I'm guessing you think the same of the 2004 Boxing Day Tsunami that claimed up to 250,000 lives as well? Just a pathetic, senseless moron who.

Infracted
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2013-11-11 at 07:26 PM.
    Main toon: Priest
    Alts: Rogue, Druid and Paladin plus many, many more.

Quote Originally Posted by Farath View Post
    I'm guessing you think the same of the 2004 Boxing Day Tsunami that claimed up to 250,000 lives as well? Just a pathetic, senseless moron who.
    I'm from the affected country and I agree with Sydano. I really don't expect you people in random countries to care about this. Honestly, give me a break -- you people reprimanding him, tell me what you've done about this issue that you apparently care about. You shared a link on Facebook? You'll probably forget about this one week from now if not two days from now, even though the tragedy is going to last much longer for the people who were hit. Don't play the "this is why humanity sucks now" card when you hardly show any compassion yourself other than a few forum posts and maybe a shared link here and there. And again, I don't expect people to care, but don't pretend like you're better than others just because you like to pretend you do. And yes, it's pretending, because if you truly cared you'd find a way to help rather than cuss people who admit how they really feel.

This link is relevant, read through: http://www.cracked.com/article_14990...keysphere.html

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bayushisan View Post
    And this ladies and gentlemen is why humanity sucks. People no longer care about one another any more.

Oh 10,000 people just died, eh screw em. I don't care. I'm safe so why should I bother with anyone outside myself?

We need to start looking out for one another, helping one another. If you see someone fall, you help them up. It's called being human. Maybe we should try that instead of this look out for number one bullcrap.
    The reason why humanity sucks is that people are full of shit and lie to one another at every opportunity. A good example of this is faked, bullshit "compassion" towards a statistic. I never said I didn't care about people. I care about people I know. I care about people who I come in contact with, and whose lives intersect with mine.

Who I don't care about are the 150 thousand or so faceless people who die every single day. No living human being can care that much, and if you think you do, you've got no idea what true empathy is. Those tens, hundreds of thousands of people are a statistic. Just like 10000 dying in a storm, or 3000 dying when a building comes crashing down.

Being that I'm always putting myself in the shoes of the victim whenever I watch a video or hear a detailed story, I would step in front of a train if I couldn't turn off my empathy when it comes to faceless statistics. I'm glad I'm able to do that. Caring for people who you actually know and love, truly caring for them, is hard enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Farath View Post
    250000 isn't any more important of a number than 10000.

10+ Year Old Account
    God almighty.

Deleted
    Random question, whats the difference between a Typhoon and a Hurricane.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yea, that's what happens when you live in a hut of dirt and leaves. And the 'government' is too fucking corrupt and incompetent to do shit about it. That's the real tragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    I'm from the affected country and I agree with Sydano. I really don't expect you people in random countries to care about this. Honestly, give me a break -- you people reprimanding him, tell me what you've done about this issue that you apparently care about. You shared a link on Facebook? You'll probably forget about this one week from now if not two days from now, even though the tragedy is going to last much longer for the people who were hit. Don't play the "this is why humanity sucks now" card when you hardly show any compassion yourself other than a few forum posts and maybe a shared link here and there. And again, I don't expect people to care, but don't pretend like you're better than others just because you like to pretend you do. And yes, it's pretending, because if you truly cared you'd find a way to help rather than cuss people who admit how they really feel.

This link is relevant, read through: http://www.cracked.com/article_14990...keysphere.html
    Personally, I donate what I can to the cause to help out. Go ahead and tell me that's not worth doing. And go ahead and tell me that I'm fucking pretending to care if I'm the one shelling out my own god damn fucking money you worthless piece of shit. I reprimanded him for being a complete idiot in saying what he did. INC infraction, but who gives a shit. Totally worth it.
    Main toon: Priest
    Alts: Rogue, Druid and Paladin plus many, many more.