Page 1 of 3
LastLast

FDA banning trans fats

Just read about this. While it's probably good for everyone to never see trans fat again, is it going too far?

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/t/story....google.com%2F

10+ Year Old Account
    Should companies be allowed to put arsenic in their products? Instant poison or poison over time, you pick.

Too far? This is why no one takes anti-regulation nuts seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Zigzagzoom View Post
    Just read about this. While it's probably good for everyone to never see trans fat again, is it going too far?

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/t/story....google.com%2F
    How could you ask that? No, it's not going far enough! Please ban high fructose corn syrup and also food coloring. Can't they use vegetable juices to create colors?
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

There isn't really a need for trans fats. The ban will make some calorie heavy foods that seemed as immortal as the plastic bags they came in, not quite so immortal anymore.

Probably the better way to think of it is...
    If China and only China had trans fats in it, and proved that they cause as much bad fat as they do. Would we stop companies from beginning to use trans fats in the US since they don't really provide a nutritional or health benefit.

Overall, I'm slightly for the ban. But only because it's instant, where if you tried to educate people against trans-fats you'd be fighting continuously and eventually the food lobby would pwn your funding.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitkanen View Post
    Overall, I'm slightly for the ban. But only because it's instant, where if you tried to educate people against trans-fats you'd be fighting continuously and eventually the food lobby would pwn your funding.
    Almost like trying to educate people on climate change, crime indicators, and the age of the earth.

Ideally then, alcohol and cigarettes should be banned as well?

10+ Year Old Account
    Neither of those are ingredients in little Jimmy's fruit cup. They are also labelled and access to them is regulated.

Quote Originally Posted by Payday View Post
    Neither of those are ingredients in little Jimmy's fruit cup. They are also labelled and access to them is regulated.
    I'm pretty sure there never was trans fats in a fruit cup. Just being the devils advocate if the FDA is going to go all for the good of the nations health, why not go balls to walls and ban smokes and beer as well.

Deleted
    Unlike trans fat people actually enjoy those. You can't taste the difference between a transfat product and a non-transfat product, assuming similar product.

But ideally yeah those items should be banned, but probably never will be.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty sure there never was trans fats in a fruit cup. Just being the devils advocate if the FDA is going to go all for the good of the nations health, why not go balls to walls and ban smokes and beer as well.
    Half of me wouldn't be surprised, but I was referring to HFCS and other tasty delights. And like I said, I have less of a problem with age restricted vices. Most if not all people know that smoking is bad for you, but far less think twice about the cookie with the magic 3 year shelf life. Not all alcohol is bad for you, too.

I went through our house and couldn't find anything that still had trans fats. I was pleasantly surprised even Pringles had 0. I think the only that's gonna hurt for me is the Sunday morning dohnut from crispy cream.

Because people who smoke and drink alcohol are clearly aware of the damage it will do to themselves. (Usually). Trans fats, though, people have no clue. And they have less of a clue that things that contain partially hydrogenated oils (TONS OF THINGS) ARE trans fats, but because it's less than 1 gram, they can list it as 0

- - - Updated - - -

I went through our house and couldn't find anything that still had trans fats. I was pleasantly surprised even Pringles had 0. I think the only that's gonna hurt for me is the Sunday morning dohnut from crispy cream.
    also check labels for partially hydrogenated oils**
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

They might as well just ban everything unhealthy. Cheese burgers, smoking, alcohol.

If trans fast are clearly labeled then its the persons choice. It's not like someone sneaking a ruffy in your drink. Its on the label you know its there just like nicotine with cigarettes.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Might want to keep in mind that less than "0.5g per serving" can be shown as 0 on the labels.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Because people who smoke and drink alcohol are clearly aware of the damage it will do to themselves.
    Actually no not really. People will know its bad for you but they don't actually know the specific facts much like trans fats. A similar incident appeared like a year ago about corn syrup. Remember those commercials? LOL

All and all nobody really gives a fuck and banning trans fats is pretty pointless if smoking or etc is not going to be banned.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

50 years ago, there were no fat kids in school... There just weren't many in-deliberately fat people back then. Something happened in the U.S. that caused this epidemic. I would say its a combination of electronic entertainment, cheaper fake chemicals in foods, steroids and prozac given to the animals we eat.

Quote Originally Posted by sophos1 View Post
    50 years ago, there were no fat kids in school... There just weren't many in-deliberately fat people back then. Something happened in the U.S. that caused this epidemic. I would say its a combination of electronic entertainment, cheaper fake chemicals in foods, steroids and prozac given to the animals we eat.
    Inter webs, we are doomed. Soon to be like those people in the Walle movie.

The thing is, high fructose corn syrup is just as bad. Sugar contains two molecules, fructose and glucose. Glucose is what your body uses, unfortunately fructose only replenishes glycogen, anything left over is converted to a low density lipid that will clog your arteries just as fast as trans fast does, because that's what trans fat is.

It's a half measure, and just as many people will be dying of hearth disease until something is being done about fructose.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Might want to keep in mind that less than "0.5g per serving" can be shown as 0 on the labels.
    I never understood the logic behind "per serving", it's very hard to compare the product with other products when you compare different servings. I always check the 100g contents when evaluating food.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sophos1 View Post
    50 years ago, there were no fat kids in school...
    It's like when I hear people say "Man, how come girls didn't have bodies like that when we were in high school (or even middle school at this point, ffs)"

Perhaps it's the steroids and hormones in all the yummy fresh chicken and beef we are eating.