Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Anybody else dreading the likely reveal of time-travel?

Not to be a pessimist, but Chrono Trigger is the only game that really got time-travel right, in my opinion. I'd like to keep an open mind, but I'm just struggling to think what kind of time-travel plot would be genuinely compelling, not just "make sense".

10+ Year Old Account
    I've always been intrigued by time travel. But as always, gameplay is what will keep me tethered to WoW, not the story.

10+ Year Old Account
    That is assuming the next expansion is in any way a time-travel expansion.

I mean, it could be, but the point is that we technically know nothing about it, and even if we potentially have a name, the next expansion is still a complete mystery.
    Last edited by SunspotAnims; 2013-11-07 at 11:57 PM.

Deleted
    Slightly yes, but I'll reserve judgement until I hear their pitch and know more about the details. I don't want to judge an entire expansion based on rumors and fragments of leaks.

Nope. I cant wait.

Yes....
    It just doesn't make sense. A good storyline will NOT come of it, and it'll screw with everything Warcraft lore has already established...

Anybody else, you ask? *looks around for Slowpoke*

I'm not dreading it. It's not exactly a theme I'm looking forward to, but I'm very curious how Blizzard would try to pull it off if that's what they're going with.

Rumors, hype, predictions are all absolutely meaningless if I actually enjoy playing.
    "Bananas, like people, sometimes look different when they are naked." Grace Helbig

Honestly I think it sounds pretty cool... Time travel is cool if you don't over think it GoW2 for example.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Not to be a pessimist, but Chrono Trigger is the only game that really got time-travel right, in my opinion. I'd like to keep an open mind, but I'm just struggling to think what kind of time-travel plot would be genuinely compelling, not just "make sense".
    Bah, Timesplitters 2 was AMAZEBALLS. Possibly for the soundtrack though.

But yeah, this whole time travel thing has me seriously concerned. DO. NOT. WANT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    I've always been intrigued by time travel. But as always, gameplay is what will keep me tethered to WoW, not the story.
    Seconded. I don't care if the expansion is about flying purple elephants and Orcs with mustaches. If it's WoW I'll play it and be happy.

Also, what's so bad about time travel? It sounds cool.

I think traveling incognito to important events to keep things straight would be cool. Caverns of Time was new and fresh when first released.

Deleted
    I don't like time travel. Feels that the history is going sideways instead of going forward. In truth is going forward while going backwards and do things diferently in the past but in reality... i mean in the new reality that is created by changing things backwards while going forward... i mean ... the new reality that will change while we go backwards and then we return to the present that is now a diferent future of before... i mean... /wrists

Yes, i don't like it, feels like it creates more holes in the plot than explains things and goes forward. Well it always goes forward... ok i'll shut up now.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    But... what if Chrono Trigger is the same thing as what we get?
    Looking for Raid: you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. Come - we must be cautious.

Deleted
    why is it "likely"? and why would it be bad? there already IS timetravel. lots of it. you can go to old continents where they still fear the destruction deathwing will bring to the world, for example. also, caverns of time and such.

if the story is fitting, and you cannot reverse stuff you already did in WoW (without a very good explanation), there shouldnt be a problem with it.

OP, its important to note that according to one of GC's tweets from over the summer, they did take inspiration for any coming ideas from Chrono Trigger.... you may actually be in luck.

Yes. Blizzard would have to surprise me cause to me heavy timetravel sounds like it will break the game. A few dungeons is fine, but anything more than that is skating on thin ice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope. I happened to enjoy all of the time-hopping we did in CoT. If the next expansion has something to do with time travel, it won't bother me.

Here's the real question, though: WHAT is it exactly about time travel that seems to have you people nerdraging so much? As long as the story makes sense, what is your issue?
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Time Travel needs to be set up right for it to work. And I think the more people speculate on it, the more people who care about the story are seeing that Time Travel has not been set up.

We have a traitor, but what does that traitor mean to anything? What horrible fate are we trying to avoid?

Time Travel fans step all over themselves trying to justify why it won't damage the lore. Their favorite thing being "it's an alternate timeline." Well if it's Alternate, then it has 0 impact on our own timeline so we have no reason to bother with it.

It gets worse when you try to shoehorn the Legion in because of the title.

It seems to me the only reason this is popular is because of the one guy who got the name right less than 12 hours before the trademark was filed. His first post was full of suspect theories, errors of basic logic, and translation errors so bad that the OP couldn't have been translating french (it had to be Chinese). His new thread is literally just a "u mad bro" disguised as "I'll see you tomorrow."

Still no attempts to defend his claim, still no followup even by the dubious Chinese fansites. He's a troll that's believed to be a prophet.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MCBGamer View Post
    OP, its important to note that according to one of GC's tweets from over the summer, they did take inspiration for any coming ideas from Chrono Trigger.... you may actually be in luck.
    Incoming Tinker class.
    N'Zoth is Lavos.
    Engineers can build us a time travel flying vehicle called the Epoch.

Shut up and take my money, Blizz.
    Looking for Raid: you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. Come - we must be cautious.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Nope. I happened to enjoy all of the time-hopping we did in CoT. If the next expansion has something to do with time travel, it won't bother me.

Here's the real question, though: WHAT is it exactly about time travel that seems to have you people nerdraging so much? As long as the story makes sense, what is your issue?
    The fact the Story doesn't make sense. It feels more like a filler than MoP or Cata (both of which have people calling them filler expansions) did.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Travio View Post
    Incoming Tinker class.
    N'Zoth is Lavos.
    Engineers can build us a time travel flying vehicle called the Epoch.

Shut up and take my money, Blizz.
    They'll need it to fight off the lawsuit.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)