Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Titan
    10+ Year Old Account

Eating my way to losing weight

Hey guys and gals, I would like to share some of my early success with a diet that I am on. I started a week ago now and have lost 12 pounds without breaking a sweat or lifting weights. I starred out at 255 pounds, I stand 6'0 tall and have enjoyed this rather enlightening experience. I was suggested the diet by my parents who both lost 15 pounds in their first two weeks on it. The diet was created by nutritionist Harley Pasternak and it's simply titled the Body Reset Diet. There is a book which outlines the meal plan which is comprised of smoothies for your meals and low calorie, high protein and high fiber snacks twice a day. There are no meats or grains consumed during the first two weeks, you mix thinks like almonds and unsweetened peanut butter with fruits of all sorts. Red meats, grains and processed foods are what get stored in our bodies easily if we don't exercise frequently to burn them off. The diet has taught me to appreciate fruits more and their value in keeping your body healthy. I know I still need to shed another 30 pounds, but it's a good start.

Congratulations. Slightly unrealistic (numbers are probably skewed since you "started out" and didn't have good consistent measurements) and I don't think I'd personally credit one diet as the answer (not that I'm saying you did) but I hope the progress continues.

That's some nice progression, try to keep it up and don't be demotivated once the weightloss comes to a halt. You've probably lost a good amount of fluid in your first week with it. Keep it up anwyay!
    ~ stuff, the best thing ~

Honestly the biggest thing, as far as diet is concerned, is to reach your caloric limit by eating and not drinking. You'd be shocked at how much food 2000 calories is, provided it's reasonably healthy. It becomes significantly smaller once you start adding a few 300+ calorie drinks into the mix.

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't need a specific diet to lose weight. But I'm glad you're getting healthy OP. Just eat lots of fruits and vegetables as your main source of nutrition and anyone can lose weight.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    You don't need a specific diet to lose weight. But I'm glad you're getting healthy OP. Just eat lots of fruits and vegetables as your main source of nutrition and anyone can lose weight.
    Well, I have literally cut out meat completely for the duration of the diet, which is initially two weeks of purely smoothies for meals and vegetables and fruits for snacks, after which you drink one a day and eat regular, but healthy meals. The diet is essentially a way to change one's eating habits to have a proper mix of nutrition so that you don't gain weight. Having insufficient amounts of nutrients, everything from vitamins to fiber, is what keeps the weight off. I have never really been fond of many fruits and vegetables, but if I can mix them into a drink that I actually enjoy and it gives me a days worth of vitamins and nutrients, it will help keep the weight off.

Deleted
    Water weight.. Also losing that much weight (your overall goal) without lifting will give you a soggy skinny fat body. And when you stop starving yourself on that "diet" you will most likely gain it all back + 10%... Absolutely worst way possible to lose weight imo... HIIT + Lifting + A steady lean diet is much faster and better for your body.

Deleted
    Congratulations! Keep it up and don't demotivate Good luck

Deleted
    Interesting, I just started a new diet myself recently and with a starting weight of 263 pounds I'm now down to 240 which is -23 pounds in 3.5 weeks.
    I have gone a totally different route than yours though. I've somewhat combined cutting carbs with a 5:2 diet. Meaning 2 days a week I have a large calorie deficit and only eat about 500 kcals, something that is easily acheivable through lot's of salads. I shy away from carbs and especcially sugar is the devil.
    This is however not just me trying to lose weight fast and then gain it back, it is about me getting in shape and when I weigh this much this means I gotta go fast in the beginning.
    My longterm goal is staying around 175-180 pounds and also to not just have a healthy weight, but a healthy life. Just need some meds to help with my huge asthma problem so I can properly work out as well.

Anyway best of luck OP and hope we make it down and stay there!

I really dislike diets that are crafted around sedentary lifestyles. Health - you're doing it wrong. Also, even if you lose weight from such a diet, being skinny-fat isn't really much more attractive than just being plain ol' fat. Lift weights, move around some, you'll be glad you did.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Having insufficient amounts of nutrients, everything from vitamins to fiber, is what keeps the weight off.
    This is quite possibly the absolute worst sentiment I've ever heard with regard to weight loss. Running your health into the fucking ground with a starvation diet while doing absolutely no exercise and being proud of it is awful. Knock it off. You're doing everything wrong with regard to weight loss.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I really dislike diets that are crafted around sedentary lifestyles. Health - you're doing it wrong. Also, even if you lose weight from such a diet, being skinny-fat isn't really much more attractive than just being plain ol' fat. Lift weights, move around some, you'll be glad you did.

- - - Updated - - -

This is quite possibly the absolute worst sentiment I've ever heard with regard to weight loss. Running your health into the fucking ground with a starvation diet while doing absolutely no exercise and being proud of it is awful. Knock it off. You're doing everything wrong with regard to weight loss.
    Yes, because the fact that I dropped 16 pounds in two weeks is doing it wrong huh? And how is it a starvation diet? Food blended together and eating healthy snacks between meals is not starvation by any sort.

Yes, because the fact that I dropped 16 pounds in two weeks is doing it wrong huh? And how is it a starvation diet? Food blended together and eating healthy snacks between meals is not starvation by any sort.
    You didn't lose 16lbs in two weeks, not even if most of it was water weight (unless you ate an absolute shit-tonne of sodium-rich foods before, or anything that'd abnormally increase your water content).

I think you might've read your scale wrongly. Make sure you get a digital one, and test its accuracy regularly. You also want to make sure you're weighing yourself at the same time everyday. The best time for this for most people is right after bed, before you've consumed anything and after you've been to the toilet. Your weight fluctuates tremendously throughout the day, so taking in the morning one day and then in the evening a few weeks later is seriously going to confound measurements.

It really is no substitute for exercise. Exercise also increases your resting metabolism.

Yes, you are. Sixteen pounds in two weeks is what's called a crash diet, and long-term success from those is minimal.

It's not really a mind-blowing new strategy to lose weight. It's eating healthy, eating less, and exercising. I've read the book as well (my sister is a nutritionist and shared this book with me for smoothie recipe ideas), but it's not that big a deal. As long as you stick to any plan like this you're going to be healthier no matter what.

What you seem to be missing from your OP, is that the book doesn't just recommend exercise, it OUTLINES AN ENTIRE PLAN for you to follow. Daily exercises, suggestions for distances you should be walking (I'm pretty sure it also said you should look at buying a pedometer), etc.

Now, I read it quickly (it wasn't long, maybe an hour), because my sister needed it back, and I really just wanted some extra smoothie recipe ideas, but it's nothing revolutionary.

Renn, I give you a lot of shit in the NHL thread, so please don't take what follows lightly or as disparaging: if you want to lose weight and keep it off, you can't just drink smoothies and have a diet. You've had however many years of learned eating behaviour and I can only guess you don't exercise regularly. All I can really suggest is - this diet will more than likely not work for you in the long-term. The weight-loss/dieting industry wouldn't be a multi-billion dollar a year industry if people didn't continue to be obese and looking for ways to lose weight. If you want this kind of effort to be worthwhile, exercise, and exercise a fair amount. If your weight is an issue for you, maybe even seek out a therapist - most people aren't overweight because of some weird hormone, they're overweight because they overeat, and/or don't exercise enough.

TLDR: If you overeat now, you will most likely (like 99.9% chance) revert back to this within 6-12 weeks. You need a lifestyle change.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    It really is no substitute for exercise. Exercise also increases your resting metabolism.
    I still do walking and jogging daily, while ot isn't rigorous, so long as the heart rate is working, you burn more calories.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaO View Post
    It's not really a mind-blowing new strategy to lose weight. It's eating healthy, eating less, and exercising. I've read the book as well (my sister is a nutritionist and shared this book with me for smoothie recipe ideas), but it's not that big a deal. As long as you stick to any plan like this you're going to be healthier no matter what.

What you seem to be missing from your OP, is that the book doesn't just recommend exercise, it OUTLINES AN ENTIRE PLAN for you to follow. Daily exercises, suggestions for distances you should be walking (I'm pretty sure it also said you should look at buying a pedometer), etc.

Now, I read it quickly (it wasn't long, maybe an hour), because my sister needed it back, and I really just wanted some extra smoothie recipe ideas, but it's nothing revolutionary.

Renn, I give you a lot of shit in the NHL thread, so please don't take what follows lightly or as disparaging: if you want to lose weight and keep it off, you can't just drink smoothies and have a diet. You've had however many years of learned eating behaviour and I can only guess you don't exercise regularly. All I can really suggest is - this diet will more than likely not work for you in the long-term. The weight-loss/dieting industry wouldn't be a multi-billion dollar a year industry if people didn't continue to be obese and looking for ways to lose weight. If you want this kind of effort to be worthwhile, exercise, and exercise a fair amount. If your weight is an issue for you, maybe even seek out a therapist - most people aren't overweight because of some weird hormone, they're overweight because they overeat, and/or don't exercise enough.

TLDR: If you overeat now, you will most likely (like 99.9% chance) revert back to this within 6-12 weeks. You need a lifestyle change.
    I do light exercise which includes walking and jogging. My body is not at a point where it can handle any form of heavy exercise. You also have to remember that for me, my body has a lot of fat stored in it. 15 pounds of fat can be shed if you eat right and my diet consists of fiber which helps your body digest food properly. Regardless, the difference is there for me on the scale and in the clothes I wear.

I still do walking and jogging daily, while ot isn't rigorous, so long as the heart rate is working, you burn more calories.
    You just have to make sure your heart rate is getting into the proper zone and you hold it there for a decent amount of time. Like 30min 3x a week for starters.

Yes, because the fact that I dropped 16 pounds in two weeks is doing it wrong huh?
    From what you're describing, yes, you've lost 16 pounds the wrong way, losing it in a fashion that's unlikely to be sustainable, doesn't improve cardiovascular health, and generally depletes your body.

And how is it a starvation diet?
    You explicitly stated that you consume "insufficient amounts of nutrients, everything from vitamins to fiber". That's pretty much the definition of a starvation diet.

- - - Updated - - -

You just have to make sure your heart rate is getting into the proper zone and you hold it there for a decent amount of time. Like 30min 3x a week for starters.
    I'd also note that if walking pushes your heart rate into zone 2 (primarily fat-burning), it's likely an indicator of poor cardiovascular health. It's still better than doing nothing, but doing something vigorous would be quite a bit better.

How do you know the proper zone?

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    How do you know the proper zone?
    You can use a heart rate monitor if it's important to you. Alternatively, you can estimate effort level by trying to talk while you're doing whatever you're doing. If you're able to comfortably get out a full sentence, but can't get out multiple sentences at once without it being tough, you're probably working an "easy" aerobic level where you're getting pretty optimal aerobic improvements. If you can only get out a couple words, you're probably nearing or exceeding your lactate threshold. If you're experienced with an HR monitor, you can probably reasonably well guess what your heart rate is on the fly.

How long you can hold zones will depend on fitness level; pretty much an entire half marathon is run at zone 4 and then into zone 5, assuming reasonably competent fitness. Zone 2 (that aerobic zone) should be sustainable for hours for someone that's in decent shape.