Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The story of people going nuts trying to get realm first are all awesome, we're talking about the olympics to dedicated players of the game. They need to leave em in.

Deleted
    Don't care about them - so personally, I'm neither happy nor sad that they are gone.

In my guild we had several realm first 80s, it was fun. Some people did it a bit the unhealthy way, but I think WoW can be way more unhealthy regardless of this. On the other hand, I don't think that fast levelling should be a feat, but most achievements are not feats anyway.
    So, well, I don't care. Sad if they remove realm first raiding achievements, though. We also got almost all of them in the WotLK

realm/world first heroic raids (mythic) the rest - no fucks are given

Quote Originally Posted by arcaneshot View Post
    How would you determine Realm First for connected realms? If someone from Bloodscalp got it first, then nobody from Boulderfist could get it? Or maybe someone from both Bloodscalp and Boulderfist could get it, despite being connected.

Any way you look at it, it causes more problems than it solves (which really means it solves nothing from existing, it only causes problems)
    this right here /thread

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Memory View Post
    In my guild we had several realm first 80s, it was fun. Some people did it a bit the unhealthy way, but I think WoW can be way more unhealthy regardless of this. On the other hand, I don't think that fast levelling should be a feat, but most achievements are not feats anyway.
    So, well, I don't care. Sad if they remove realm first raiding achievements, though. We also got almost all of them in the WotLK
    I am pretty saddened by this. I think that RFs create some competition both in and out of guild. I was lucky to get realm first monk and I loved it. The excitement, the preparation. Seeing 6/11 guildies get realm first was awesome. I was really looking forward to RF 100 on my pala or warrior.

It's going to kill server competition, it will be down to sites like Wowprogress/guildox to see who gets SF kills. Alot of people won't care but competitive raiders go for this sort of this. That FoS is what we like.

That being said, the nice casual walk to 100, looking at all the pretty mobs as I cave their heads in with a big sword will be pretty good.

The problem is that server communities do not matter anymore (and even guild communities matter less). I don't care much about the Feats of Str. per se, but I liked the social environment they took life from and gave life to. Problem is: that social environment is long gone.
    Last edited by Memory; 2013-11-12 at 03:14 PM.

Doesn't make me feel bad anymore that I missed our guild run for 25-man Heroic Lich King Realms First back in the day. ;D

But then I wonder.. The existing ones stay? And if they will be removed as well, what about the titles that came with them?

I doubt this will include raid realm firsts unless they've confirmed it since the post was made. However im glad about the leveling realm firsts, the last 2 expansions I've got realm first warrior. Im quite keen for getting achievements like this but can't say I particularly enjoyed it.

My realm is quite competitive so I had to put some time in on the BETA to prepare, then on the day of the midnight release wake up at 6AM, go to university then after uni go to work then come home and be stuck at the login screen for over an hour at midnight followed by an initial 1-2 hours of unbearable server lag followed by the actual 10 hour leveling grind. Sure when you get the achievement its definitely rewarding but cant say I feel too great after being awake for 30+ hours, many of which i've been sat down staring at a computer screen with no breaks. Obviously I then take the day off uni/work that I actually level up on to sleep which isnt ideal.

So all in all, a great achievement if your sponging off the welfare system and can afford to sleep until 11PM in order to be well rested for it, then not have to worry about work or education the following day.

Obviously someone will argue that if its such an inconvenience to me, why do it? Like I said before im quite keen for getting rare achievements like this especially on such a high pop competitive realm so I go out of my way to get it. Either way, I look forward to chilling out and enjoying leveling if they are being removed next expansion.
    Last edited by Ballsosteel; 2013-11-12 at 04:33 PM.

Quite pathetic. I don't have the time/commitment anymore to either level fast or find the right "exploit" but I didn't mind people who pursued those.

10+ Year Old Account
    Regardless of the achievement being gone, people will still race to get to 100. It's all about experiencing things before other people to this type of crowd.

There was this dude I knew awhile back that would literally spend months on the beta before an expansion to plan the best leveling route, best quest route for loremaster ect. When the game launched he would race to max level and then complete every single new quest to get loremaster before anyone else did. After he was done, he would quit the game for a couple of months and tell me that "I beat the game and I don't care about bosses/raids because that means I have to deal with people and I don't like people." He was a solo pve hero in the truest form. When he came back to the game, he would level another character and do the same quests over and over again. Then he would quit only to return on the eve of a new expansion.

I lost contact with him during Cataclysm. I don't know if he did the same with MoP launch (I would assume he did) but he might've just quit all together. The thing that I'm trying to say is that some people no matter what will want to get to 100 the fastest regardless of achievements. These people actually enjoy the grind and the thrill of the race, the thrill of getting to achieve something faster than someone else. That is the game to them.

Quote Originally Posted by TCCB1833 View Post
    The reasoning behind this was that "those achievements are only for a few people in the world" and they "don't really feel like they should have achievements that do strange things to the game"
    According to blizzard, killing heroic end bosses is strange...

Deleted
    I... I'm ok with this.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Racing to max level by playing non-stop in a mad, sleepless rush is not how Blizzard intend the game to be played. People who go for these achievements skip over many things and don't bother to enjoy the game itself, they don't even experience it properly.

It's not healthy for the game OR the people doing the achievements.
    It's a personal choice on how to play the game. So what? My partner is playing MoP and all she's doing is the pet battles. Is that what Blizzard intended? What does it even matter.

Why do you care? If you're not into racing to level 90, then no-one's forcing you. Speedrunning is not unique to WoW, by the way. For the people that get a kick out of it, Blizzard acknowledge them and let them have a shiny digital badge. There was an achievement for GETTING KILLED BY DEATHWING for heaven's sake, it doesn't mean much. There's an achievement for anything and everything. Leave it alone, let people have their fun and stop judging.

Deleted
    Honestly as someone who likes to level quickly at the beginning of an expansion, while I never seriously attempt world/realm first, I do get a kick out of measuring my progress against other people on the realm. A lack of achievement rewards in the UI isn't going to stop people who like to level in this way in the slightest.

Quote Originally Posted by Felfury View Post
    Honestly as someone who likes to level quickly at the beginning of an expansion, while I never seriously attempt world/realm first, I do get a kick out of measuring my progress against other people on the realm. A lack of achievement rewards in the UI isn't going to stop people who like to level in this way in the slightest.
    It'll stop me I'm thinking, because it just makes it a little cooler to go for if I get a shiny FoS for doing it. Tips the scales between the hassle of playing/studying beta really.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Racing to max level by playing non-stop in a mad, sleepless rush is not how Blizzard intend the game to be played. People who go for these achievements skip over many things and don't bother to enjoy the game itself, they don't even experience it properly.

Totally agree.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Personally, I like this change and agree with the reason. While I like the adrenaline in the run for first level 90/class or maxed profession, I never really enjoyed the very beginning of ANY expansion due to the fact that I'm an achievement whore and always pursued realm first of something (usually a profession on my main character). This is one change that I particularly welcome in WoD. The very first day(s) of every expansion always felt rushed to me because of the stress that the topic causes in so many people (myself included). I never really got to enjoy the storytelling and the quests of Jade Forest, for example, when leveling my main. Of course I could always level and alt at my own pace later on, but the feeling would just not be the same. To me, a big deal and first impression of a new expansion and content come from the excitment from exploring it and discovering what new things are hidden in the new levelling areas, such as the rare mobs of Pandaria which I found quite entertaining to hunt down for the Glorious achievement on the very first few weeks.

It may not be how they intended it to go, but that is part of the fun for some. I also love expansion night playing with the guild leveling as fast as we can till we eventually crash. Granted, I don't do it for achievements but for the fun of doing it with my friends. Achievements add some longevity to the game, but no one remembers/cares who the first 90 was or who was in the realm first kill after the first week anyhow. (except the very few people who get them)

I got one for mining, It's no big deal, but I am kind of happy that I have one before they do away with em.