Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominus89 View Post
    They where already developing WotLK before TBC was released..
    and mop in a way, was going to be pandas instead of draenai in the early days

Quote Originally Posted by madrox View Post
    Expansions aren't patches in that we have to pay for the first and not the second (excluding the sub fee of course), and I think it's a reasonable concern that an accelerated release rate would bring diminishing returns in regards to quality. Hell, WoD while looking quite decent does seem a little feature light to me. But I don't think the OP has anything to worry about; it's Blizzard we are talking about who probably celebrate Xmas late every year.
    You know people right now are complaining, despite the fact that we have no release date, that we are going to be in SoO too long right?
    This is a situation they can't win.

Deleted
    Mike makes it fairly clear in the article that this is unlike previous expansions, where they'd strictly work on one at the time.

Writing the lore and planning future expansions has always been something done way in advance, but actually CREATING it (coding, art, design, etc.) is a first. He specifically says that this is because they are now pouring more resources into WoW than ever, in order to make an ageing game stay relevant.

Makes me very excited.

Yes and they probaly worked on Warlords when mist was announced.

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Yes and they probaly worked on Warlords when mist was announced.
    We've never done that in the past. We've been doing one expansion at a time, sort of a very linear content creation model, and we've looked at ways that we can parallelize that.
    I'm always amused but also exasperated when people don't even bother to read the first post of a topic before replying, let alone the rest of it.
    Keys me in on who I can safely ignore in the future I suppose.

Yeah missed that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hezron View Post
    It's very rare to find a fanbase that is pleased with anything, there's always someone who complains about something.

even now I am complaining about someone complaining. grumble grumble
    Because any time there's more than 1 person in a group there'll be more than 1 opinion.

Deleted
    If this is true then people need to stop claiming that the reason we're getting less content with WoD is because they're spending more time balancing and tweaking the game, we all know full well they're not.

I wouldn't get too excited over that announcement. They have one or two things going on but it's not fully in development with all the different teams working on it. Once they are done with WOD then they can go full throttle on #6 which I personally hope is "Rise Of The Murlocs". What? Murlocs are so cute when they gurgle.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd argue that the sweet spot for an expansion is about eighteen-20 months after first release, averaging three tiers of content with a life of six-seven months each.

Once you cross a certain threshold, the content feels old and is no longer entertaining. SoO will cross this threshold in early March. I'm hoping WoD beta will be well underway at this point.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rumaya2000 View Post
    I'd argue that the sweet spot for an expansion is about eighteen-20 months after first release, averaging three tiers of content with a life of six-seven months each.

Once you cross a certain threshold, the content feels old and is no longer entertaining. SoO will cross this threshold in early March. I'm hoping WoD beta will be well underway at this point.
    That's way too long, as history shows.

I'd say 4 months for larger raid patches and 2 months for small filler patches. SoO is still relevant and quite a bit of fun, but we'll soon approach a point where it's just a treadmill and not very exciting. In the past it took people longer to complete new raids, but with features like LFR, this is done much faster nowadays.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    Are you seriously complaining that they are going to release content too fast? There's no pleasing this fanbase :P
    When they could include that content in a subscription cost instead of monetizing it on a rapid pace expansion cycle, yes, I would be complaining about it.
    BAD WOLF

They've done this for a while now. Basically they have a smaller team laying groundwork for the next expansion in advance, concept art, story ideas, etc. The 'meat' of the expansion isn't worked on until some time later when they bring in devs to start making quests, landscapes, character models and the like.

And many features seem to come 'on the fly' without any real prior planning, mostly due to player demand and feedback. They did the Farm in MoP to test out the groundwork and tech for Garrisons, which likely will lead to Guild Fortresses one day in the future.

Anyway, nothing new really! I'm just glad more is being planned, I'd be rather sad if they finished planning expansions because it means the game it coming to an end!

Hopefully it will speed up the content.

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    Are you seriously complaining that they are going to release content too fast? There's no pleasing this fanbase :P
    Yes... Ive been complaining for a while. No one seems to hear me over the voices of the rabid ADHD masses.

We think we climb so high, Upon the backs we've condemned ...We face our Conϛequence.

Deleted
    so that's why we're getting next to no new content

awesome...

What I want is the time to play this game, enjoy it. Complete content. And maybe go for a hike or take a Saturday not do try to keep up with the cracked out insane pace of this game. 5 farms daily, Flex, 4x 3 hour raid nights, and I'm still behind. Not to mention all the content I've been trying to find time to complete from prior patches, expansions, etc.

You people get bored at the drop of a hat. None of you complete anything. Its like "I think Ill go for a hike" turns the door knob, "what was I doing, oh yea I need a sandwich." You cannot focus on anything, and so none of us can. The game is designed to please people who move onto something new faster than they can even say "Something New" ... It's really destroying any enjoyment. Some of us like to take our time and really enjoy things.
    We think we climb so high, Upon the backs we've condemned ...We face our Conϛequence.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    I think it's meant to excite us, but I can't help but feel afraid this comes at a cost of content for Warlords of Draenor.

After all, they did say creating new content for Mists of Pandaria would only slow down progress on Warlords of Draenor. So wouldn't work on expansion 6 slow down progress on expansion 5 as well? I mean, with their logic it should.
    They didn't say they were generating content for expansion 6 yet. They only said that they were "working on" it. It doesn't make sense to have their idea men twiddling their thumbs for the next year while waiting for the developers to realize their ideas for WoD. I'm sure that the developers are still focused on WoD, but the guys who have already completed the bulk of their contributions to WoD can proceed to the expansion beyond it.
    Quote Originally Posted by CandyCotton Marshmallows View Post
    People need to get over the gear color (and themselves). It doesn't matter, and it shouldn't matter what other players have either. Worry about your damn self. Live your life by that. If you want to concern yourself with someone else, then worry about HELPING them, not putting them down or making sure you stand out as better than them.
    Maybe the game would be better with more low DPS nice guys and fewer high DPS jerks? -- Ghostcrawler, Twitter, 6/29/13

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gegan View Post
    Good. Maybe we can get back to Azshara sooner than later.
    Nah, I predict more a Legion x-pack. Like they said WoD will lead up directly to the next one and the Legion feels more obvious to me.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by |Dexter| View Post
    Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/...in-development
    I REALLY hope this not turning in the Everquest II model with every year one new Xpack that got little to no content after Warlords of Draenor
    I'm of the opposite opinion. I'd rather have annual expansions with little new content. I find that preferable to another 8 months in a shit raid like ToT.
    The plural of anecdote is not "data". It's "Bayesian inference".