10+ Year Old Account

Is there any gaming laptops actually worth buying?

Ideally I'd want it to last 3+ years.

Always been a dream of mine to have one but I've just heard too much bad stuff about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    Ideally I'd want it to last 3+ years.

Always been a dream of mine to have one but I've just heard too much bad stuff about them.
    so GENERALLY speaking, *i know someone is going to argue* but generally speaking the money spent on a gaming laptop is less cost efficient then building a good gaming desktop. If you travel a great great deal and need something portal but still want to game you can spend a ton on a "gaming" laptop.

I have a custom desktop but i also just purchased a laptop as my new job has me traveling 1-2 weeks out of every month to 2 months.
    i purchsed the Asus Rog G750. It cost me 1600 after taxes and has the following specs

i7 4600mq
    16gigs ram
    770m gpu
    came stock with a 7200 rpm 750g hard drive, i replaced the hard drive with 2x samgsung 840 pro ssd's 256g

with the changes in hard drives and the laptop bag the total cost was right at 2grand.

its a bit excessive but i love the laptop and would recommend it if your in the market, but again if you dont travel the money is better spent on a good desktop build. (dont buy prebuilt =p)

hope i helped

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I know they are expensive, does it over heat if you are gaming excessively and how long do you expect it to last?

My family has a total of 3 gaming laptops:
    2x Asus g74x
    1x Asus g72x

Asus g72x is late 2009/early 2010 and I still use it for gaming (ultra League of Legends 30-40fps, ultra Diablo ?? dont remember but great fps, avg settings @ wow 25m 20-40fps).
    The asus g72x GPU go as got as 105~ºC if I don't clean the fans for more than 10 months give or take but after getting it clean the temperature drops to a constant of 65~70ºC.
    Mind you the high temperature does not really break performance, ofc it is bad for the computer parts but all that I could notice so far is that the fan has to work more to get the hot air out so meanwhile it is dity the notebook gets a little noisy.

The more recent ones that easily play wow on 25 ultra (not sure if ultra-ultra, but with most of the settings maxxed) with very acceptable FPS. The asus g74x that is 1.5y old does that already.

For me and my dad, they were worth the price (they were even shipped from US since I am brazilian). I'd take a look at the g75x if I were you. Both the g74x and g72x were cheap considering their setup (1000-1100$) compared to other gamings notebooks back then

So tldr; They don't overheat unless you dont care of them, they are kinda of heavy/big if you want to put them on your lap or bring them everywhere
    Last edited by HhitSappens; 2013-11-20 at 04:45 AM.

Thread moved to appropriate subforum

Deleted
    I never understand why people need laptops for gaming. if I'm out and about I just play mobile/tablet games. Or don't play games at all, whatever. Laptops are inferior and cost too much, bad for posture/viewing and overheat too quickly. Just how desperate are you to play games? I have a good smartphone it plays android tablet or phone games very well, even older windows/dos games that have been converted. Also got several emulators that play anything from snes to n64, ds and psp games.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just sold my Asus Rog G75VW. I bought it because I did not have my desktop with me and the programs I am writing for school are becoming really processor intensive and my old laptop just couldn't cut the mustard. So it killed two birds with one stone.

I just got a new HP Chromebook 11 and moved my desktop to my apartment from my parents house. The chromebook made my laptop obsolete in terms of programming as I can remote with 0 lag into my desktop. Which basically meant, no more carrying around a 15 lb laptop.

The Asus Rog G75VW played Wow in high settings with 35-40fps in raids. Diablo2, TF2, pretty much anything that wasn't well over the top graphicly it would play no problem in High settings. BF3 I had to play in medium settings to get 30-40fps. The laptop NEVER got hot, barely even got warm. You usually couldn't even tell the damn thing was on, it was so quiet, absurdly quiet, ninja quiet. Plenty of ram, Ssd, GTX 670M, i-7.

I personally wouldn't recommend a gaming laptop unless you dont want a desktop, dont have a desktop, or travel alot. However, if you meet one of those criteria its not too shabby. Just know that the gaming ones are heavy as hell and pricey, or lighter to medium weight and SUPER pricey. Usually the thinner ones don't perform as well either. So its a give and take.

Also, if you going to buy one of these, check ebay or you can get refurbished ones with a warranty from Newegg usually for a pretty nice cut in the price.

One thing I loved about the Asus design. The bezel/cover/whatever you want to call it, was a dull black rubber, instead of the slick reflective glassy style plastic covers. It didn't scratch and didn't reflect any light from the screen onto my eyes/glasses when in a dark room. Was a nice little "touch". Also the keyboard was angled by design to alleviate some of the hand fatigue from most flat laptop keyboards.

It depends a lot on what you want to do with it. If you are using it with an external screen most of the time then a smaller one would be fine. I bought 2 of these for my daughters:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834216538

They work really well for casual gaming (Sims, WOW, GW2, etc). Most on full settings but it is a 1366 x 768 so that's not very taxing.

never buy a gaming laptop...You can get a better desktop for the same price.

Did you guys even READ he travels a lot? Sometimes a desktop is not possible.

Quote Originally Posted by BetrayedOf52 View Post
    I award you 5 internet points

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BetrayedOf52 View Post
    I'm sorry, where did he say that?
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

Is there any gaming laptops actually worth buying?
    Gaming + Laptops + Worth == nope

You can game on quite a few of them but they are overpriced and underperforming.
    If you are never able to use a stationary beast than I guess it is "worth" it to buy a "gaming" laptop.
    Not only you are looking on upgrading every half year/year when you plan on playing the newest games possible, the noise, weight and heat coming off these pieces of trash is immense.
    Last edited by Mifuyne; 2013-11-20 at 10:18 AM.

If you are practically never at home and would like to be able to game anywhere there's a wall outlet then a gaming laptop is worth buying - but that's because of very specific criteria. The downside to gaming laptops is that they cost vastly more than their desktop counterparts for the same performance (can't judge that performance by the naming of the parts either since most laptop parts are underpowered compared to their desktop counterparts). They're also ridiculously heavy - usually 15+ lbs you will have to carry with you everywhere. Their ventilation is usually poor so they're going to get quite hot. Typical battery life of a laptop while gaming is around 3 hours so you will need a wall plug to last the day away from home. Lastly, if anything breaks, it's usually much easier to replace a desktop part than it is a laptop part - it's also much easier to upgrade said parts.

The only reason to get a gaming laptop is if you're never home or you move places a lot and having to move a gaming tower around is less than ideal. But if that sounds like you, then yes a gaming laptop is worth it. In the end you decide what something is worth so if the cost and all the negatives are outweighed by the portability then it's not going to be a stupid buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    Yeah I know they are expensive, does it over heat if you are gaming excessively and how long do you expect it to last?
    again mine was 1600 + 2 ssds which i did not pay retail for but my total investment with a case to carry it was 2,000

i expect it to last me 3-4 years before needing upgrade or replacement

i have over clocked the cpu and ran it for several hours with out overheating issues.

the keyboard is very responsive
    the screen is great
    the battery life is better then expected ~3+ hours

down sides to this lap top
    size - very hard to find a case/bag to fit this laptop as the screen is 17.3 but its overside shell makes it hard to find a bag
    the only other downside is weight
    8 pounds on the laptop and 10 pounds when u add the charger so its not light weight but the quality is amazing

bus