Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Just got denied employment at Fredrick's of Hollywood

Before I start my story I want to stress that I did this sort of like a joke and then was surprised by the response I got from the hiring manager. Just here for some input

Im at the mall and I see a sign outside the door of Fredrick's of Hollywood(a kinky lingerie shop) so i walked in and asked her where should I apply. She started laughing and I kinda stood my ground a bit. I was dying inside laughing but she kinda looked at me. Asked me questions about my employment history and then she said "well you seem nice but i cant hire you" and Im like why not? And she said "well because you're a guy" so I just told her something to the effect of the ladies can get a guys opinion when they shopped and slowly walked away.

If I was the "wrong type" of person, isn't what she just did illegal? And has anyone else experienced this on a serious level?

Deleted
    Well, there could be a quota issue with AA (not sure if it is for women though) but her response was silly, stupid even.

Deleted
    Sue them, thats what happens out there right?

Wow, you took it so seriously you actually decided to make a thread about this?
    I've no idea whether that's illegal (DOUBT IT) or not, but it sure as hell shouldn't be.

Its like an employer not wanting to hire a guy for a victoria's secret store, makes sense to me tbh...

Deleted
    Pretty sure it's women only in Ann Summers here in the UK as well. Companies can claim legal exceptions when hiring in the UK, I'd imagine they can there to.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Sue them, thats what happens out there right?
    Dammit Rich, don't encourage them!

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess it depends on if they have some sort of equal opportunity policy. If not then I guess it's legal.

10+ Year Old Account
    I doubt it's illegal due to special circumstances. Being a male, they wouldn't allow you to help women with trying on clothes...for obvious reasons.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    I doubt it's illegal due to special circumstances. Being a male, they wouldn't allow you to help women with trying on clothes...for obvious reasons.
    It's not even that. Can you imagine buying a dildo and some bloke coming up to you and asking if you need help with anything? Or going to the checkouts with a box full of sordid goodies? Yeah, not creepy at all for a lot of people that are likely conscious about that kinda thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    It's not even that. Can you imagine buying a dildo and some bloke coming up to you and asking if you need help with anything? Or going to the checkouts with a box full of sordid goodies? Yeah, not creepy at all for a lot of people that are likely conscious about that kinda thing.
    Basically. And many businesses can actively discriminate. The fair unemployment deal really only counts towards jobs that wouldn't necessarily consider your gender, age, creed, etc as part of the job.

Private companies/stores ect should be able to discriminate people based on anything.

now if a girl walked into the men's warehouse and was told she couldn't be hired because of her gender, just imagine the shit storm that would cause.

10+ Year Old Account
    If they were self conscious about that sort of thing then why bother going into the store regardless of what gender is going to greet you. If you're going into an adult store to buy toys and whatnot, you should at the least not be embarrassed about it otherwise what is the point?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mizeri View Post
    now if a girl walked into the men's warehouse and was told she couldn't be hired because of her gender, just imagine the shit storm that would cause.
    It wouldn't cause one. It'd be the same thing.

Wait wait wait...So you basically were wasting their time pretending you wanted to apply for a job you really didn't want, and you get someone miffed that they didn't hire you? Who gives a shit why...they probably could tell you didn't really want the job and though it would be funny to apply. The person probably just gave you any ole answer to shut you up and leave the store.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Deleted
    I'm going to take a wild stab and assume that's just a general men's clothing store... It's a bit different from a predominantly female consumer base coming into a store to buy sex toys and lingerie.

10+ Year Old Account
    Obviously they figured out the OP was desperate for attention. Their suspicions were later confirmed reading his post.

I'm sure a guy can work there, but would you want a desperate guy working there.

Deleted

are there only male only stores?

Probably quite a lot, because most Men's Warehouse stores wouldn't have any problem hiring a woman. I can't tell you how many men's clothing stores have female staff.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to take a wild stab and assume that's just a general men's clothing store... It's a bit different from a predominantly female consumer base coming into a store to buy sex toys and lingerie.
    I'm still betting manager just sensed he was full of shit. I've seen MANY men employed at Victoria's Secret. Granted they are still a minority, but it's not shocking when I see it.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!