Thread: Tab targetting

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Tab targetting

I find blizzards tab targetting to be VERY clunky. As a boomie clicker I have to tab target through enemies to dot them all up but the problem is: it doesn't just target them in a particular order...it just chooses whichever one it wants in a cone in front of me and I literally have to tab through all the ones I've already dotted to find the one's that are missing my dots. This i terribly inefficient (yes i'm aware keybinding would fix this, thank you) but is there an addon or some sort of easy interface settings fix that solves this problem? Thanks

tab targeting is much, much worse in FFXIV ARR. The best I've played so far is SWtOR's. WoW's isn't too bad, I think a bit better than Rift's.

It has been a bit since I played, but, it does ok, but there is nothing that will make it select only targets without dots on it. Using an addon that shows your dots will help you identify and cycle quicker (as well as just clicking the mobs in the first place).

It will generally cycle through them all though. You have to also take into account any movement those mobs might be doing that might cause the issues you are seeing.

I have no idea what algorithm tab targetting uses, you're better off using a mouseover macro and unit frames

Deleted
    I suggest a nameplate addon that shows dots on the nameplate.

I suggest not clicking your spells.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had this problem too in arena,was busy trying to nuke a shaman until he pops all his totems and noticed the other guy with low health and told to swap targets,we kill him but when i simply wanted to tab target back to the shaman i ended up going through all his totems first,and can i fuck target it with my mouse as my screen is full of WTF SPELLS and shit and i cant see a damned thing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne25uk View Post
    I had this problem too in arena,was busy trying to nuke a shaman until he pops all his totems and noticed the other guy with low health and told to swap targets,we kill him but when i simply wanted to tab target back to the shaman i ended up going through all his totems first,and can i fuck target it with my mouse as my screen is full of WTF SPELLS and shit and i cant see a damned thing.
    This is why you should use /target arena1, 2 and 3 macros in arenas.

OT: I agree that the tab targeting system can be a bit annoying sometimes, especially on multidot classes.

I like the times where I tab to target something and it either tabs to something BEHIND me, or 40 yards infront of me, rather than the 1-10 mobs in front of me. Tab targetting used to work really well, but somewhere down the line (Sometime in Cataclysm) they broke it.

Also, for PvP if you only ever want to target players via tab, there is a keybind option for "Target Nearest Enemy Player".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldfingaz View Post
    I like the times where I tab to target something and it either tabs to something BEHIND me.
    Now you're just making things up. That never happens.

If you are not wanting to learn a different style of play (aka not clicking) then you are going to struggle, more so against those that do not have those limitations. One thing you can do is not show the plates of player pets/totems. This should allow your tab target to ignore them and only target players. You can still manually target the pets/totems but you will see less clutter on your screen.

Just bite the bullet and no clicky. If you have your heart set on clickyclicky then invest in a Naga Razor mouse. I used to click, but not anymore
    “What was God doing before the divine creation? Was he preparing
    hell for people who asked such questions?” - Stephen Hawking

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zimboombafoo View Post
    I find blizzards tab targetting to be VERY clunky. As a boomie clicker I have to tab target through enemies to dot them all up but the problem is: it doesn't just target them in a particular order...it just chooses whichever one it wants in a cone in front of me and I literally have to tab through all the ones I've already dotted to find the one's that are missing my dots. This i terribly inefficient (yes i'm aware keybinding would fix this, thank you) but is there an addon or some sort of easy interface settings fix that solves this problem? Thanks
    So, what's the problem? You answered your own question.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulgore Sweet Potato View Post
    Not at all, I'm in WoW doing it right now. Mobs within 5-10 yards behind you, you will tab to. Go fly to a mob, put your back to it and hit tab.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulgore Sweet Potato View Post
    The hell it don't! I was tab dotting in a lowbie dungeon (Dire Maul) and tab pain tab pain tab pain tab... wtf is this pain AH SHIT.

If you are a clicker just click their nameplate. Then click your spells. If you are at least an okay clicker you shouldn't have an issue doing that without missing much time, espeically with the GCD

Not at all, I'm in WoW doing it right now. Mobs within 5-10 yards behind you, you will tab to. Go fly to a mob, put your back to it and hit tab.
    you may want to start looking for what bug you have, because that does not happen to anyone i've heard of

10+ Year Old Account

Also, for PvP if you only ever want to target players via tab, there is a keybind option for "Target Nearest Enemy Player".
    Does this prevent targeting the mage elemental and hunter pet 6 times out of 10 attempts to tab target the healer?

Quote Originally Posted by Shuyin View Post
    you may want to start looking for what bug you have, because that does not happen to anyone i've heard of
    Or you could do a quick google search and find out it happens to more than just one player:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/8568989955

Maybe pay attention, or go try it yourself?

I'll give a little explanation as to why it does this.. and it's really simple. Tab targeting is based on a cone, the problem is, at some time that cone was moved from your player, and placed 5 yards (roughly) behind it, causing you to be able to tab target things 5 yards behind you. (Possibly more, but it's not that much. It's enough when you're tanking however to really screw things up.)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord Booty View Post
    Does this prevent targeting the mage elemental and hunter pet 6 times out of 10 attempts to tab target the healer?
    Yes, it will only target a player and not their pets/totems/guardians.
    Last edited by Goldfingaz; 2013-11-22 at 01:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

Yes, it will only target a player and not their pets/totems/guardians.
    Well damn, I'm going to have to find that thing. Seems that I couldn't go a single BG without saying fuck it and blowing up some hunter pet. Now I'll only do it out of spite.

Or you could do a quick google search and find out it happens to more than just one player:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/8568989955

Maybe pay attention, or go try it yourself?
    did you even open your own link? there's 2 pages of thread (and the 2nd is barely started), with many posts from the one who opened it.

Maybe pay attention, or use your brain for a second longer and consider how a bug can happen in a few systems at the same time

Quote Originally Posted by Shuyin View Post
    did you even open your own link? there's 2 pages of thread (and the 2nd is barely started), with many posts from the one who opened it.

Maybe pay attention, or use your brain for a second longer and consider how a bug can happen in a few systems at the same time
    Except it's not a bug and I can replicate it on any system. As I said go try it. Put your back to a training dummy stand between 1-5 yards away and you will target it.

I've tested this on 5 different computers, all with their own installs and no addons. (Friend's computers who also play wow) I've also had every single person in my guild repeat it.

It's a broken system. Seriously, go try it.