Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Thanks everyone for all the information. I think it will help him very much if he puts his mind to it.
    But what worries is me that he says that he's been playing his hunter for 6-7 years. He also say he's looked into guides like on Noxxic or Icy Veins. So, I guess I'll start to ask him firstly whether he likes to raid at a competitive level at all.

Quote Originally Posted by jason1975 View Post
    4. Macro (yes, macro!) Bestial Wrath to Kill Command. This will ensure maximum uptime.
    Code:
    #showtooltip Kill Command
    /run x=GetCVar("Sound_EnableSFX")
    /console Sound_EnableSFX 0
    /run UIErrorsFrame:UnregisterEvent("UI_ERROR_MESSAGE")
    /cast bestial wrath
    /petattack
    /use 13
    /use 14
    /run SetCVar("Sound_EnableSFX",x)
    /run UIErrorsFrame:RegisterEvent("UI_ERROR_MESSAGE")
    /cast Kill Command

4. Macro Rapid Fire and Fervor to Cobra Shot:
    Code:
    #showtooltip Cobra Shot
    /run x=GetCVar("Sound_EnableSFX")
    /console Sound_EnableSFX 0
    /run UIErrorsFrame:UnregisterEvent("UI_ERROR_MESSAGE")
    /cast Rapid Fire
    /cast Fervor
    /run SetCVar("Sound_EnableSFX",x)
    /run UIErrorsFrame:RegisterEvent("UI_ERROR_MESSAGE")
    /cast Cobra Shot
    idk if I'd use those macros, for one if you use kill command and you're low on focus and it casts bestial wrath at the same time as you're low on focus it's a complete waste of bestial wrath since you can't do anything without having to cobra shot a couple times first.

also macroing fervor to cobra shot is kind of bad since you could accidently focus cap from it and thus being a waste of fervor.

there are really no macros at all for hunters, only macros I have are for pet attack and a macro for deter, feign death, and stop cast on a couple of my abilities like kill shot. macroing cooldowns to abilities or cooldowns to cooldowns (unless it's like synapse springs with bw/rapid fire.) is generally a bad idea.

Just have him read http://www.icy-veins.com/beast-maste...owns-abilities, some information there may be a tad outdated, but it'll still be immensely helpful for your fellow Hunter.
    <Guiles Theme Song> @ Mal'Ganis-US Horde 20-man 10/10M 8/10M, currently recruiting all
    Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/timoseewho

I am sorry for saying this, but if you have been working with him for 8 months on his dps and he still has all the problems that he has, maybe he is just not built for raiding...

Quote Originally Posted by Canaslan View Post
    Thanks everyone for all the information. I think it will help him very much if he puts his mind to it.
    But what worries is me that he says that he's been playing his hunter for 6-7 years. He also say he's looked into guides like on Noxxic or Icy Veins. So, I guess I'll start to ask him firstly whether he likes to raid at a competitive level at all.
    I would replace him in the same moment he sayd that,how can he play hunter for 7 years and not use the lvl90 tier talent,use multishot on pure singletarget fights not using kc at all,the list goes on..
    He's bad and doesn't seem to care feel bad for you to have to carry that kind of people

Quote Originally Posted by Gatao View Post
    I would replace him in the same moment he sayd that,how can he play hunter for 7 years and not use the lvl90 tier talent,use multishot on pure singletarget fights not using kc at all,the list goes on..
    He's bad and doesn't seem to care feel bad for you to have to carry that kind of people
    This pretty much, if he's been playing a hunter for that long and not been able to improve his performance he is just plain bad. Drop him and get a better player in.

Quote Originally Posted by hareu View Post
    also macroing fervor to cobra shot is kind of bad since you could accidently focus cap from it and thus being a waste of fervor.
    Lol what? When do you use cobra shot? I use it when I'm low on focus and need more focus.

This guy is literally NOT pushing his buttons.. it feels like he went afk for 1 our of every 3 minutes of EVERY fight... He's basically not noticing things are coming off CD and to use them.

I would spec this guy to JUST do survival, and not BM.. as its harder to fuck up an SV rotation.. He can be SV for every fight. (note; if your having serious MC problems on garrosh, specifically.. ppl DYING as they come out of MC because of dots, then he can't be SV.. but generally SV is ok for killing MCs)

Bona fides; http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...eslis/advanced

side notes;
    I could recommend addons as others have done.. but generally the configuration of said addons is pretty complicated to get the most out of them.. if you don't config them, you end up with nothing useful, or information overload.

The general feeling I'm getting from all this is all or some combination of the below;
    - He's lying about his hunter experience
    - He doesn't care about the game and isn't trying at all
    - He's playing on a potato (a really bad computer)
    - He has really bad eyesight and is unable to see or notice when abilities are coming off CD
    - And/or is unable to figure out how to configure addons such as Watcher, Weakauras2, JSHunterbar, Needtoknow, to show him when abilities are coming off CD.

and Lastly, tell him to spec ToTH.. it'll be an ever so slight *official* dps loss for BM, a gain for SV.. and .. a easier rotation which should net him more damage overall. Just make sure Serpent Sting doesn't fall off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Before I replaced him I'd ask him if a) he realizes he's not using his abilities optimally b) if not, whether he wants to improve.

It's easy to miss using abilities if you don't realize they're off CD but you can use things like Weak Auras to pop up reminders that stay on your screen until the ability is back on CD. That's what I did - when Explosive Shot is off CD Weak Auras pops up a graphic that sits there until I hit it. Same for Black Arrow, etc (I'm SV).

Now, if he's all "I dont like addons..." then replace him. He needs to either perform well without addons or use addons that help him. It might not be Weak Auras, but it would need to be something (For example, Mik's Scrolling Battle Text also alerts).

If he says he's improved, group with him, spend 5 mins on the dummies and log that, then look at ability usage. Things like Kill Command should be used on cooldown and you can tell that by dividing fight time by the ability CD (300 second fight/6second CD = 50 uses of the ability). Being slightly off this isn't a big deal but you should be very close on dummies. On real fights allow for asking a dps to do some other task (i.e. if you send someone to the towers on Galakras they'll have downtime while running and killing small adds).

Quote Originally Posted by Perrito View Post
    yeah i dont know why ppl focus so much in gear and talents when most of those talents make almost no difference on a player like the one ppl is trying to help out.

the only thing he need to change ATM is just this.

KC on CD, thats it.

everything on CD, manage to do that then you can worry about min maxing.

if he want to go, ToTH and BS to reduce keybinds, thats fine is a minor dps decrease, he can gain way more by just hitting his abilities on CD as he should be.

- - - Updated - - -

heck even leaving focus fire up the whole fight wont make a diference in his DPS.
    People focus on gear/reforging and talents because that's a quick glance at an armory. And here, we're used to more fine-tuning of a player's performance than anything else. Once people delved into the logs and looked into the abyssal ability usage, that quickly became the more important focus.

idk if I'd use those macros, for one if you use kill command and you're low on focus and it casts bestial wrath at the same time as you're low on focus it's a complete waste of bestial wrath since you can't do anything without having to cobra shot a couple times first.

there are really no macros at all for hunters, only macros I have are for pet attack and a macro for deter, feign death, and stop cast on a couple of my abilities like kill shot. macroing cooldowns to abilities or cooldowns to cooldowns (unless it's like synapse springs with bw/rapid fire.) is generally a bad idea.
    Clearly you haven't paid any attention to anything in this thread. I have coached quite a few hunters of this skill level and potential. These macros are of great benefit to this kind of player.

As clearly stated in my post, I do not recommend them for skilled players.
    "I don't always play my warlock, but when I do, I prefer destruction."
    - The Most Interesting Player in the World . . . of Warcraft

Quote Originally Posted by Goldeneagle View Post
    I am sorry for saying this, but if you have been working with him for 8 months on his dps and he still has all the problems that he has, maybe he is just not built for raiding...
    This. Also consider, do you want to put this much effort into forcing him to become a semi-decent player (if that's even possible). You're going to have to make him install addons, probably have to set them up for him, tell him which abilities to use and check after every raid to see if he's using them, then nag him some more if he isn't. Kick him and use that energy to recruit a better player, IMO. Preferably one who will come here to ask for help by themselves, rather than making you do it for them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Namarus View Post
    Lol what? When do you use cobra shot? I use it when I'm low on focus and need more focus.
    And as bm I might use it even around 60-70 focus. Having fervor be used there would be major dps los. Admitted I rarely use fervor as BM.

This is why you plan ahead and pool focus...............but you should never use a single macro just for KC, shrug. I use a BW+KC macro and have KC by itself.

Deleted
    ATM if you want to min/Max using kill command and bestial wrath within same global is DPS los thanks to our 4set bonus, in perfect world you should use bw when kill command has 4s cd left, use it, spam few more arcane shot and again kc when bw duration is almost over, but since I don't live in wonderland I use bw when kc has 3s left on cd. This way I still fit two kc inside bw, but I use it with higher stacks from 4set bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    People focus on gear/reforging and talents because that's a quick glance at an armory. And here, we're used to more fine-tuning of a player's performance than anything else. Once people delved into the logs and looked into the abyssal ability usage, that quickly became the more important focus.
    so you are saying that ppl go look at the armory and start giving advice without looking at logs? the 1st thing i did was look at the logs, i seen a lot of ppl ask for logs when someone come and ask for help before saying anything.

i just wont say anything about someone witout looking at logs. well thats just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Perrito View Post
    so you are saying that ppl go look at the armory and start giving advice without looking at logs? the 1st thing i did was look at the logs, i seen a lot of ppl ask for logs when someone come and ask for help before saying anything.

i just wont say anything about someone witout looking at logs. well thats just me.
    Some people can't invest the time to analyze logs at any given moment and might want to help still, hence why they take a glance at his gear and reforging.

There's one absolutely essential thing that he is doing wrong. He's not following an appropriate priority list.

Have him look at the single target priority list and press buttons according to their priority. If Kill Command is up, there is very little reason not to press that button immediately--only higher priority skills should be used before it and then straight down the line after according to what is off cooldown.

Consequently, using Kill Command on practically every cooldown is going to increase his dps significantly. This is the primary problem with his parses (and a similar list is necessary for SV where explosive dominates the cooldowns with the 4 piece). There is no valid reason to use Multishot in a single target situation. If he thinks it's helping his pet do more dps, he's wrong.

If he follows the list, he will be much more competitive in your raid.

Edit: I assume he knows not to just press Serpent Sting repeatedly since it's high priority in the list. The reason it's there is because cobra shot refreshes it, and all we're saying here is that if SS falls off, reapply it and Cobra Shot should keep it renewed indefinitely. It's a passive dps increase on a target that complements everything else he's doing with additional damage. There's no reason to let it fall off for an extended period of time.
    Last edited by Effinhunter; 2013-11-27 at 06:13 PM.

Until he gets the basics down, giving a lot of advice/tips for Garrosh is just going to prove worthless.

Since some people are visual learners, and is hard to comprehend pages of info.. Here's some pictures! And a link to my GDoc's where some extra Info can be found, just go to tab "Craa"

Deleted
    @ Drairon. Thanks for analysis! That looks pretty impressive what you've conjured there! I'll let him steam over this.