Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    Epics were "rare" back in the day but still didn't "mean" anything. Lookit all the people walking around with brightwood staffs, or stockade pauldrons any of the other world drop epics.

Epics outside of raids weren't earned, they were a lottery right from the word go.
    Rare is a stretch. There were literally hundreds of pallys in full retribution on my server. Most 60's had at least 3 or 4 peices of T1 from binding runs. MC runs were plentiful and held no requirements. It wasn't the blue utopia that people seem to remember. After AQ, epics were all over the place.
    You either die a Varian, or live long enough to see yourself become a Thrall...

Quote Originally Posted by BEYR View Post
    Who here played before ~1.9? Anyone? No? Ok, so officially none of you have ever been in a WoW environment where epics were rare. Get over it and move on.
    Gotta disagree because I was pretty covered in epic gear when AQ opened up and my guild started progression. For the common player that was a non raider you rocked the blue set with an epic here and there you got from an Onyxia PUG raid or something. It's all a means to an end. Once you get over yourself and realize the gear you get now will get replaced when the next big patch comes around.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    Fair enough, but others consider competition only competition if the playing field is level. To some the fun is in the playing and the competition itself, not in the rewards (or the trophy, as you put it) which just seem like mandatory burdens. And yeah, you can say those people are playing the wrong genre, but the genre is slowly changing to encompass them too.
    The playing field is level at the beginning of each expansion. Should a player that doesn't raid heroic be rewarded the same items as a player that does do that content? Absolutely not and for good reason. If you aren't doing that type of content then having that gear level isn't appropriate for your play style.
    Last edited by Barnabas; 2013-11-28 at 04:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    My first epic was a Felstriker. I immediately downloaded and installed the bam mod the moment I won it.

Not exactly relevant to the thread, just got slapped with some nostalgia from reading parts of this.

It's funny watching people get upset over the color of their gear.

Quote Originally Posted by BEYR View Post
    Rare is a stretch. There were literally hundreds of pallys in full retribution on my server. Most 60's had at least 3 or 4 peices of T1 from binding runs. MC runs were plentiful and held no requirements. It wasn't the blue utopia that people seem to remember. After AQ, epics were all over the place.
    Oh I agree, that's why I finger-quoted it. They were rarer than today certainly but not truly rare by any measure nor particularly meaningful.

Granted it sorta meant something if you were standing around ironforge in full Wrath plate or something but only up to a point.

Quote Originally Posted by Dys View Post
    My first epic was a Felstriker. I immediately downloaded and installed the bam mod the moment I won it.

Not exactly relevant to the thread, just got slapped with some nostalgia from reading parts of this.

It's funny watching people get upset over the color of their gear.
    It's not so much the color of the gear. It's the fact that when you reach a certain ilvl in an expansion you can't have blue items anymore as a replacement. So any upgrade after that will be epic quality item or legendary. It's just really hard for people to understand this fact and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by cdnz19 View Post
    I used to love the feeling of getting an epic and it actually meaning something. Why are they even called epics now? They're hardly epic to obtain, they don't feel epic, and the majority don't even look epic. What happened to blues being the most common form of gear? What was wrong with that?

For the argument that casuals wanted more epics because it felt like they were missing out - isn't that the point?
    I'm sorry but all I can read here is "The epics are no longer epics cause everyone has acces to them now and I can't be a special snowflake anymore"
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromedes View Post
    Welcome to the Alliance, faction of compromises and unfulfilled desires. Want Vrykul? Here is compromise in form of kul tiran half giants we never heard of. Wanna High elves? Here is compromise in form of void elves we never heard of. Wanna broken draenei? awww fuck it
    About ganking ("world pvp") being dead now
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post
    Maybe you could wear a mask and push over little kids while they walk home from school instead?