View Poll Results: Would you get your baby a Cochlear Implant?

Voters
153. This poll is closed
  • Absolutely!

149 97.39%
  • No way!

4 2.61%
Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Cochlear Implants and your opinion

I'm curious to hear what people's opinions are on Cochlear Implants. (read about them here or here)

The scenario:

You have a baby and discover he is born deaf. Do you learn sign language along with your child, or do you get them a cochlear implant so they can hear?

Here is a video of an 8 month old "hearing" with a cochlear implant for the first time:

That's cool, right? Well, my opinion on the matter is that I think it's wrong to make this decision for a baby. Sign Language is an effective method of communication, in some ways it's better than speaking. Think about it, we speak, yet the majority of our communication is non-verbal. There is nothing negative about learning how to sign. It has also been proven that children who learn to sign at an early age are smarter than children who don’t.

I don't think parent's should give their children a cochlear. I think they need to buck up and learn sign language with their child.

I think that the child should choose for himself when he's older if he wants one or not.

RISKS AND BENEFITS LINK: http://www.fda.gov/medicaldevices/pr.../ucm062843.htm (Read it before you make yourself look silly)
    Last edited by Symphonic; 2013-09-04 at 09:15 PM.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

I'm kinda getting a strange feeling you're a deaf person yourself and you're trying to persuade me that missing one of your senses is beneficial in any way whatsoever.

But I'm sure you're aren't, that'd be ridiculous.

Also, I wonder who the single solitary "no" vote in the poll came from.
    Last edited by InDecisive; 2013-09-04 at 08:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post

I don't think parent's should give their children a cochlear. I think they need to buck up and learn sign language with their child.

This is some of the dumbest shit I've ever read.

The vast majority of people do not know sign language. You're effectively limiting the child to a small circle of acquantainces while they're growing up, impeding the development of their social skills.

Get the implant. They can always choose to have it removed.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

The implant can always be removed, if the child grows up and wants to be deaf let them remove it. But fact of the matter is its much harder to learn to speak if its being done after the brain has developed most of its pathways, neurons that fire together wire together.

Deleted
    Your reasoning is about as stupid as saying that people should just deal with having mental illnesses...

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would you not want your child to have the ability to hear, if it is possible and within your means?

What?

Unless, of course, you're one of those faith healer/born that way for a reason types.
    Last edited by Payday; 2013-09-04 at 08:59 PM.

I'd absolutely get the implant, you'd have to be a complete idiot not to to be honest. Why would you purposely limit your child in life? That's like saying if your child was born without legs you wouldn't get him a prosthetic/wheelchair because he should learn to deal with it.

Deleted
    Get the cochlear implants, but I'd also learn sign language (know a bit already anyway) just in case. And allow the child to make the decision to use it or not as he or she grows older.

I have a moderate hearing impairment (I can barely hear without my hearing aids, just enough that I don't have to wear them while using headphones - thank god!) and I'd kill for an operation that would allow me to hear better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Of course I would. I'd highly consider it. Unless they find another way to restore healing, this way i the way to go for now.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you learn sign language along with your child, or do you get them a cochlear implant so they can hear?
    These are not mutually exclusive propositions, anymore than "learning sign language" and "learning to read lips" are.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

I probably should revise my reasoning. I don't believe that just because others don't always learn American Sign Language, it means you're socially inept. I think instead of making them hear, people should be more considerate and learn ASL (or a sign language of your country).

I can't believe so many are absolutely for it! Do you even know all the risks? Look at this page (seriously, click on it) about benefits and risks: http://www.fda.gov/medicaldevices/pr.../ucm062843.htm

I'm a little wary of the fact that it's got 7 benefits and 30 risks, a lot of which seem considerably serious. SERIOUSLY, TAKE A LOOK AT THAT PAGE!!

How many of you are anti-circumcision, but you're pro-cochlear? I think the decision should be the child's for this. It's much more serious, can have lasting damage, and if you ever need an MRI, sorry, you can't, you have a cochlear.
    Last edited by Symphonic; 2013-09-04 at 09:09 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by robodin View Post
    Get the cochlear implants, but I'd also learn sign language (know a bit already anyway) just in case. And allow the child to make the decision to use it or not as he or she grows older.

I have a moderate hearing impairment (I can barely hear without my hearing aids, just enough that I don't have to wear them while using headphones - thank god!) and I'd kill for an operation that would allow me to hear better.
    Stem cells might help one day.

I probably should revise my reasoning. I don't believe that just because others don't always learn American Sign Language, it means you're socially inept. I think instead of making them hear, people should be more considerate and learn ASL (or a sign language of your country).

I can't believe so many are absolutely for it! Do you even know all the risks? Look at this page (seriously, click on it) about benefits and risks: http://www.fda.gov/medicaldevices/pr.../ucm062843.htm

I'm a little wary of the fact that it's got 7 benefits and 30 risks, a lot of which seem considerably serious. SERIOUSLY, TAKE A LOOK AT THAT PAGE!!

How many of you are anti-circumcision, but you're pro-cochlear? Is this because you can hear and assume your baby needs this? Hmm, kettle, black?
    idk if some of those can really be considered risks..."don't get it wet." Then there's about 4 or 5 that are along the lines of "hearing probably still sucks." Most are pretty obvious and not really much more of a limitation than those that would be placed on an already deaf person.

Having to learn ASL to interact with a minority group seems silly to me. When a pen and paper works fine too. It's like having to learn Korean because you have a Korean family in the neighborhood.

If my kid was deaf, I'd certainly consider it as an option.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just for the record, cochlear implants destroy any residual hearing one might have, so the choice will have permanent repercussions on your baby and it's a little more complicated than choosing between being hearing or deaf. It's not as simple as "remove it later if they don't like it." Considering most deaf people do have some degree of hearing, you're taking that away from a child without their consent. Also remember that a cochlear implant allows you a degree of hearing, but it doesn't make you not deaf. They will always be deaf and may still need to rely on lip reading and visual cues.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chrth View Post
    The vast majority of people do not know sign language. You're effectively limiting the child to a small circle of acquantainces while they're growing up, impeding the development of their social skills.

Get the implant. They can always choose to have it removed.
    This i am failing to see the "cochler" to be bad.

Why would any parent want to purposely handicap their child with deafness when they could fix it with a bit of modern science?
    READ and be less Ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    Just for the record, cochlear implants destroy any residual hearing one might have, so the choice will have permanent repercussions on your baby and it's a little more complicated than choosing between being hearing or deaf. It's not as simple as "remove it later if they don't like it." Considering most deaf people do have some degree of hearing, you're taking that away from a child without their consent. Also remember that a cochlear implant allows you a degree of hearing, but it doesn't make you not deaf. They will always be deaf and may still need to rely on lip reading and visual cues.
    I'm not saying you're wrong but I don't know how these implants work so I'd be a little unsure.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

By choosing to get a cochlear, you:

-Lose your residual hearing (as Tziva mentioned above)
    -Depend on batteries to "hear"
    -MRI imaging becomes impossible. Being close to an MRI imaging unit will be dangerous because it may dislodge the implant or demagnetize its internal magnet.
    -Will have to actually be worried about static electricity. (If I were deaf and got one, I don't think I'd be able to ride or drive my wife's vehicle, it shocks me every time I get out)

There are so many more things that just seem obvious to me that I would never want one if I were deaf. Do your children a favor and let them decide when they're older. This is WAY more serious than circumcision.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sharpy View Post
    This i am failing to see the "cochler" to be bad.
    I'm just going to assume you didn't read the link I said that highlights the benefits and risks. Here you go again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    I'm not saying you're wrong but I don't know how these implants work so I'd be a little unsure.
    They have to modify the cochlea to do the implant.

Not that wikipedia is the best source, but it's the fastest:

"Some effects of implantation are irreversible; while the device promises to provide new sound information for a recipient, the implantation process inevitably results in shaving of the hair cells within the cochlea,[38] which can result in a permanent loss of some or all residual natural hearing. While recent improvements in implant technology, and implantation techniques, promise to minimize such damage, the risk and extent of damage still varies."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cochlea..._disadvantages

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |