Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Amazing video - sailor found alive 100 ft under sea in air bubble after 60 hours

With probably the most amazing "real life" video I've seen, this story really caught my eye:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...ys-under-water

After his ship sank, killing all but him, a sailor was trapped 100 ft underwater for 60 hours in an air bubble. A diving crew went to salvage the wreck and at first thought his hand was that of a corpse... until it reached out to one of the divers.

The whole thing is captured so well on the short video in the link above - including the crew's real time commentary expressing initial horror, then amazement and the vivid reveal of the man's bubble from below the murky sea - you'd think it was some kind of fake. It has a kind of District 9 and Blair Witch project vibe, but a much happier ending. It went viral yesterday, but the events happened 6 months ago and mainstream media are vouching for its truth.

The sailor had to spend two days in a decompression tank - divers normally only spend an hour or so at that depth - and was obviously grief stricken to learn of the fate of his crewmates, but he can't believe his luck and thanks God for answering his prayers. Even as an ardent atheist, I won't begrudge him that - it is an almost miraculous story.

Quote Originally Posted by econ21 View Post
    but he can't believe his luck and thanks God for answering his prayers. Even as an ardent atheist, I won't begrudge him that - it is an almost miraculous story.
    I'm sure he's thankful for your consideration.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Deleted
    The sailor had to spend two days in a decompression tank - divers normally only spend an hour or so at that depth - and was obviously grief stricken to learn of the fate of his crewmates, but he can't believe his luck and thanks God for answering his prayers. Even as an ardent atheist, I won't begrudge him that - it is an almost miraculous story.
    God hated all the other sailors but this one he was nice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow, just wow! How amazing even though he must have gone through some truly frightening, awful hours. He said prayers his wife had sent to him;

"I started calling on the name of God … I started reminiscing on the verses I read before I slept. I read the Bible from Psalm 54 to 92. My wife had sent me the verses to read that night when she called me before I went to bed."

One of my biggest fears is being trapped/presumed dead & languishing there alone with nobody searching for you. God Bless him & his Family & my sympathies to all the Families & friends that lost a loved one. <3

edit; was writing this & had the reply window open for a bit before posting. Needless to say it was before the snarky remarks but I'm not gonna change my reply for that crap
    Last edited by sugarlily; 2013-12-05 at 01:04 AM.
    kintsukuroi
    ‘golden repair’, is the Japanese art of repairing pottery with gold or silver lacquer. The aesthetic philosophy focuses on imperfections rather than attempting to disguise them, with the intention that the piece becomes both more valuable and more beautiful because of its history and for having been broken.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do not derail this into religious bashing. There is no reason to detract from the discussion over a single sentence.

Deleted
    Okene was in the toilet at 4.30am on 26 Maywhen the tug, one of three towing an oil tanker in Nigeria's delta waters, gave a sudden lurch and then keeled over.

"I was dazed and everywhere was dark as I was thrown from one end of the small cubicle to another," Okene said in an interview with Nigeria's Nation newspaper.
    Rescued by Nighttime potty visit lucky guy.

but he can't believe his luck and thanks God for answering his prayers. Even as an ardent atheist, I won't begrudge him that - it is an almost miraculous story.
    I thought it was the divers who saved him...

Do not derail this into religious bashing. There is no reason to detract from the discussion over a single sentence.
    It's ok to post that sentence in the OP but it's not ok to comment on it, even in jest. Got it.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's incredible. I bet he's going to be a changed man once he gets out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Jesus...can we NOT turn this into a religion thread because someone was stupid enough to put it in a sentence?

I read about this a few days ago, and I am very glad he survived. I read a few comments that asked "well why didn't he swim out". Completely ignored the fact that he was 100 feet under water and would have had to swim down a floor to then swim up.

The hand moving must have been so creepy for the diver.

Besides it's not like he knew how deep he was (yo! decompression sickness b****es ), what predators he could encounter (Nigeria yo Mr. White!) plus exhaustion depending on when he'd decide to swim up or he could even not really know how to swim (yea i know sailor that doesn't know how to swim... happens from time to time especially among "river sailors").

BTW it just hit me... NIGERia... Old folks had some jokes about them. XD
    Last edited by vitu; 2013-12-05 at 01:59 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vitu View Post

BTW it just hit me... NIGERia... Old folks had some jokes about them. XD
    Nigers? What kind of jokes?

Many mornings I've gotten out of the toilet and thought "That was the biggest, best crap of my life"

This guy I don't think will ever have such a feeling again. Way to go my good sir. Way to go.
    This is my signature. It states my prediction of the next expansion. Not only is it correct in my eyes, but should also be in yours too.
    Anyone who doesn't agree with me is an idiot, a bad, and a pleb.

- A Quote from every narcissistic, defiant, self-absorbed theorist on these forums. True story.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Jesus...can we NOT turn this into a religion thread because someone was stupid enough to put it in a sentence?

I read about this a few days ago, and I am very glad he survived. I read a few comments that asked "well why didn't he swim out". Completely ignored the fact that he was 100 feet under water and would have had to swim down a floor to then swim up.
    I agree but that made me giggle.

Lucky guy. But a bit of a dick move to the diver to give credit to god.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    The hand moving must have been so creepy for the diver.
    I thought the same XD. Boat had been down there for 2½ day and as you could clearly hear they did not expect to find anyone alive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    Lucky guy. But a bit of a dick move to the diver to give credit to god.
    Extreme situation shows extreme end results.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Only on this forum can someone post a story like this, and have it turn into religion bashing.

This is why we can't have nice things.

WoW, a single sentence started religious bashing. Seriously, You guys are not NORMAL people. You give atheists bad name.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder if this guy thought, if even for a second, "Oh no scuba pirates!" That was a pretty cool video and I can't imagine what kind of emotions that poor guy was dealing with.

Deleted
    holy crap, bet he can't believe his luck.