Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Please help with Internet Connection.

Hey,

it's been 3 days now that I cannot download for more than 60kb/sec. It is very strange because I can play LoL normally without problems or any sort of lag, but for instance now that I am trying to have GW2 download the latest patch, it won't go over 100kb/sec or even 60kb no matter what I do. I have NetLimiterPro and the max speed it has for my computer is indeed around 40-60KB/sec. I have not set any limits to any download. I've run a test online to check the connection and I have higher upload (0,78MB) rather than download speed at 0.61MB. Can you please give me some things to check? This is crazy and it saddens and angers me greatly.

Edit: I've also noticed that youtube will now prefer to run videos on 144 quality... Help me, lol!
    Last edited by Well; 2013-12-08 at 07:37 AM.

Deleted
    Run a speed test and post the results here.

http://www.speedtest.net/

Also try testing here:

http://testmy.net/

(pick closest server up top) to see if the results are similar.

To rule out everything make sure your PC is clean, follow this guide (all free tools), don't skip cleaning steps.

http://www.selectrealsecurity.com/malware-removal-guide

I already said that the results are 0.6Mb for download and 0.7MB for upload. I did it again and it's the same. Can malware do such harm?

Deleted
    Why would you have netlimiter?

What kind of a contract do you have? Sometimes they have limited monthly quotas and then they throttle your connection.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Well View Post
    I already said that the results are 0.6Mb for download and 0.7MB for upload. I did it again and it's the same. Can malware do such harm?
    Any harm in posting the results? You're asking for advice, if you knew what was wrong and what to do to fix it then you wouldn't be posting here, right?

It isn't going to take you a long time to do.

As for malware, you never know. Making sure you have a clean PC can't hurt.

Deleted
    He did it again and had the same results didn't he? And slow internet doesn't prevent posting. Also, chances of malware causing that are slim.

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    Any harm in posting the results? You're asking for advice, if you knew what was wrong and what to do to fix it then you wouldn't be posting here, right?

It isn't going to take you a long time to do.

As for malware, you never know. Making sure you have a clean PC can't hurt.
    What kind of results do you need? I don't remember anything else other than ping (which is 73) download and upload speed (at 0.6 and 0.7MB respectively). The other site is way too disorienting to know what to click, lol.

- - - Updated - - -

For instance... I cannot connect to the chat in the lol client, but I can play any lol game without any lag. I even had a friend here sharing my internet and we both had 63 ping steadily and experienced no lag or anything related whatsoever. WHAT IS GOING ON!!!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by looz View Post
    He did it again and had the same results didn't he? And slow internet doesn't prevent posting. Also, chances of malware causing that are slim.
    Rhetorical question? I asked if he could post the results, you know they have that option to share the result.

Who cares if chances are slim, it's worth trying if nothing else works.

Stop being so confrontational please.

@OP

The reason I asked if you could post the results is that maybe you were reading something wrong, maybe there was something you had overlooked, seeing as the other was too complicated. I'm not trying to annoy you

- - - Updated - - -

Playing games online doesn't need of a connection so nothing surprising about that.

What is your connection speed supposed to be? (advertised by your ISP)

Why do you have Netlimiter?
    Last edited by mmocca5d152c38; 2013-12-08 at 05:15 PM.

Also... I just uninstalled netlimiter. It was very useful actually. Like when I would play any online game, I would limit a download of another (or a torrent) to 300-400 kb and play just fine at the same time. I've had a long time to use it but it never actually did anything bad. I have (had) it for years.

@Notarget

I am even grateful that you take the time and bother with this. The test just won't go through though... It's "loading 256kb of data to my browser" for ever... I think I must close it, cause it smells way too fishy.

- - - Updated - - -

Some additional info. I recently moved (9 months now). In the place I lived beforehand, I enjoyed a 1-1.2 or even 1.4 MB/sec of downloading. After moving it dropped to 600. I also did not move to some other city. It's close. My parents changed the ISP for financial reasons, and it generally stayed the same. It's just a nightmare now though. One thing can only anger and sadden me and that's my internet connection. I am very upset over it.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok... it's been over 5-6 mins that it's trying to do the upload test. I am just going to close this.

What OS are you using. If it is a Windows platform, boot to safemode with networking and run the speedtest again. If you have router/modem with wi-fi get the speedtest app and test it from your phone or another pc. If the results are the same, contact your isp.

Edit: Alos what type of connection do you have. DSL, ADSL, Cable, Fiber. What is the speed you are supposed to be getting?
    Last edited by tanktank; 2013-12-08 at 05:35 PM. Reason: more info needed
    Quote Originally Posted by Doomken View Post
    Everytime I try to Que for LFR, the game completely crashes. WTF
    Quote Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
    It's probably trying to save you a headache.

24 Mbps ADSL (if I remember correctly). Does OS stand for Operating System? If yes, then it's Windows 7. I use cable internet.

Deleted
    It's "loading 256kb of data to my browser" for ever... I think I must close it, cause it smells way too fishy.
    Don't worry there is nothing fishy about the site. Reason it might take longer is because it uses bigger sample sizes for more accurate results. As you can see in the following picture it works.

Can you find out exactly what your connection speed is supposed to be? Like which speed did your parent buy? Also is it unlimited usage?

As mentioned try safe mode with network and try running the a test. Share the speedtest here if possible. Just click the share result when done and copy the image code:

There seems to be some real crap going on... speedtest.net has suddenly relocated me to some other city and tries to do the test from there. For reference, I live in Thessaloniki (Greece) and it tries to do the test to Athens... WTF

Deleted
    Your internet was bad to start with. 1.4 MBps is extremly low for 2013.

Here is my speedtest:

Most likely it is a ISP hardware problem. Try contacting them.

Your contract guarantees you a certain bandwith and i doubt it is 400 kbps

This is certainly false... It measures a 0.06 MB/sec download speed. I will share the test I did yesterday (it was very close to today,).

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3151149885

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    The best thing you can do is choose different DNS servers google or open dns what ever you prefer. DNS is like a phone book to search locations faster instead searching wrong locations taking longer. Perhaps that might help with the patching for the game since it sounds like its putting you at the wrong server for downloading. Some companies have horrible DNS caching so once you change see if it helps. If it doesn't only other option is to configure port forwarding for GW2 servers for patching. If you want to test those DNS open up command prompt and run as administrator if you want to save the results in txt format by right clicking select all and CTRL-C and to paste by right clicking. CTRL-V doesn't work some out reason but once in cmd prompt type ping 8.8.8.8 for example the lower the round trip the better thats how long it takes for servers to travel from region to region depending on caching performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Morceli View Post
    Your internet was bad to start with. 1.4 MBps is extremly low for 2013.

Here is my speedtest:

Most likely it is a ISP hardware problem. Try contacting them.

Your contract guarantees you a certain bandwith and i doubt it is 400 kbps
    My internet at "home home" (non uni flat) is between 50-60kbs, I live a mile up the mountains, and even if we werent that far up, our turn off is miles from the exchange, believe me, it can be stupidly low, and yes everyone complains about the bandwith, people have sued and won but most of the time its tough shit really, hell theres still some part of Wales on dial up, and can't receive broadband still/

Edit:

I shit you not, initial wow installation took 7 days to complete, while each expansion took 3 days

Something that others have perhaps not mentioned is that your wireless security could be very weak (assuming you have a wireless router) and someone was able to hack it .. or even worse, it still had the default password.

Someone could be using your connection. I would suggest checking 192.168.0.1 (default router configuration page and check. - if you dont know what you are doing.. then dont even bother, have someone who knows check).

I am pinging google through cmd, and I have a steady 73 ping which is very good for Greek internet standards. I don't understand how my ping can be great, but my speed be crap. I was trying to get the latest patch of GW2 today and it was downloading for 40kb/sec... HOW AND WHY!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wowaccounttom View Post
    Something that others have perhaps not mentioned is that your wireless security could be very weak (assuming you have a wireless router) and someone was able to hack it .. or even worse, it still had the default password.

Someone could be using your connection. I would suggest checking 192.168.0.1 (default router configuration page and check. - if you dont know what you are doing.. then dont even bother, have someone who knows check).
    It won't connect...

Deleted
    If you have time for it could you try checking your PC for malware? Follow the guide i posted earlier. One of the apps will also flush your DNS, just follow all the steps.

Also ping has nothing to do with your connection speed.