Thread: RAM help!

10+ Year Old Account

RAM help!

need a little help please!my friend gave me a 4g corsair vengeance ram "stick".its in the plastic but has no rapper-some codes on the back ect.i think he said its ddr3,if that sounds right?my question is how do i know if its compatibly with my computer/ram i have?

i have a dell with a core i7 -2600 @3.40 ghs and with 8 gig of ram.not sure how many ram slots i have 4-2 g's ram or 2 4ger's.either way at the very least it could be no less then a 2k ram upgrade.

on the back of the ram stick itself it reads -16gb (4x4gb) 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 1.50v ver8.16 (cmz16gx3m4a1600c9)

is this a good ram stick?also me friend flew home-so im guessing he went threw airports security-that would not hurt the ram stick would it?

i looked around a bit on the web but i could not find anything that say "yes".any of you computer guys help me out?
    Last edited by meathead; 2013-12-08 at 06:15 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by meathead View Post
    need a little help please!my friend gave me a 4g corsair vengeance ram "stick".its in the plastic but has no rapper-some codes on the back ect.i think he said its ddr3,if that sounds right?my question is how do i know if its compatibly with my computer/ram i have?

i have a dell with a core i7 -2600 @3.40 ghs and with 8 gig of ram.not sure how many ram slots i have 4-2 g's ram or 2 4ger's.either way at the very least it could be no less then a 2k ram upgrade.

on the back of the ram stick itself it reads -16gb (4x4gb) 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 1.50v ver8.16 (cmz16gx3m4a1600c9)

is this a good ram stick?also me friend flew home-so im guessing he went threw airports security-that would not hurt the ram stick would it?

i looked around a bit on the web but i could not find anything that say "yes".any of you computer guys help me out?
    A 16gb (4x4gb ) ram stick is a 16 gb stick, not a 4 gb one. It should work fine if you take out your ram and then put it in the number one ( or A ) slot which your other stick was in. Most ram sticks are backward compatible , but will be limited by the speed of your ram bus on the motherboard. Try it. The most it can do is not boot up. Just remember which slots the old ones came out of before you put in the new one, in case you have to put them back in. Also make sure to ground yourself before removing them and installing the new one. if your computer it still plugged up, you can do that by touching the case with a finger.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2013-12-08 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    A 16gb (4x4gb ) ram stick is a 16 gb stick, not a 4 gb one. It should work fine if you take out your ram and then put it in the number one ( or A ) slot which your other stick was in. Most ram sticks are backward compatible , but will be limited by the speed of your ram bus on the motherboard.
    No it isn't. 4x4GB means that there are (were) four RAM sticks that are (were) 4GB each. This particular RAM came as a "kit" of four. It sounds like, for whatever reason, the OP's friend had one left over and gave it to the OP.

OP: The RAM your friend gave you is compatible with your computer. I'd leave your current RAM where it is and just plug the stick your friend gave you into an unpopulated slot (assuming there is one).
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2013-12-08 at 07:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    No it isn't. 4x4GB means that there are (were) four RAM sticks that are (were) 4GB each. This particular RAM came as a "kit" of four. It sounds like, for whatever reason, the OP's friend had one left over and gave it to the OP.

OP: The RAM your friend gave you is compatible with your computer. I'd leave your current RAM where it is and just plug the stick your friend gave you into an unpopulated slot (assuming there is one).
    i think your right-he did buy a 4 set of ram and only could use 3,so he gave me the 4th stick.hopefully i can just add the new ram stick in without removing any of the sticks that are all ready in my computer.

if i do have to remove 1 stick,does it matter which one/slot?if i do infact have 4 slots with 4 2 gb sticks in each,the new stick would be bigger then the old ones.just trying to make sure i do it right the first time and not have to open up my pc twice.

Quote Originally Posted by meathead View Post
    if i do have to remove 1 stick,does it matter which one/slot?if i do infact have 4 slots with 4 2 gb sticks in each,the new stick would be bigger then the old ones.just trying to make sure i do it right the first time and not have to open up my pc twice.
    You can try removing any of them and inserting the stick your friend gave you, but it may not work if there's a different stick in the "sister" slot. It depends on your motherboard, but the sister slots are usually every other slot, so if A1 B1 A2 B2 are your RAM slots, A1 and A2 would be sister slots and B1 and B2 would be sister slots.

10+ Year Old Account
    well i tired it and could not make it work,was a very tight fit.i do not think i had "my friends" ram stick all the way in.i tried it in two different slots,the two on both ends.my pc would not boot up,so i put my old stick back in and had the same problem.had to go back in and noticed the stick was not in all the way.finally got my pc to work again lol,but without "my friends" stick.

maybe i will try it again sometime,but either way ty for the help much appreciated!