Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

This is what your taxes are paying for!

As a Londoner and proud of it, I am totally appalled at witnessing this act of wanton violence in our beautiful city:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-25338074

Disgusting, that gate they broke is 97 years old... Bastard chavs!

Deleted
    Pretty sure there were buildings that survived the blitz that were destroyed during the riots.

Again, bastard chavs.

Deleted
    Am I reading the right link? What are you mad about? Calling students chavs? wtf is this?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    Am I reading the right link? What are you mad about? Calling students chavs? wtf is this?
    Watch the video please. Look at the damage to the Senate gate, one of the oldest building belonging to the university of London, that gate is 97 years old. Breaking that gate is criminal damage... hence CHAV!

Those students have a lot of growing up to do. Its funny they protest about heavy handed cops but yet they attacked a cop van giving them reason to retaliate. Idiots.

Deleted
    What the actual fuck. While I agree smashing shit up is not cool and the people who did it should face criminal charges the legitimacy of this protest is the most important thing.

They have fucking criminalised student dissent. There has been a determined effort to stop students being organised and deny students a voice. You've had the Met repeatedly breaking up student protests (peaceful) with heavy handed tactics. (much like in 2010 with the tuition fees protests).

The outrage here should be at the police, the university, David Cameron's government in the UK education sector.

Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    What the actual fuck. While I agree smashing shit up is not cool and the people who did it should face criminal charges the legitimacy of this protest is the most important thing.

They have fucking criminalised student dissent. There has been a determined effort to stop students being organised and deny students a voice. You've had the Met repeatedly breaking up student protests (peaceful) with heavy handed tactics. (much like in 2010 with the tuition fees protests).

The outrage here should be at the police, the university, David Cameron's government in the UK education sector.
    Your logic is failing. You started the sentence saying smashing shit up is not cool. Then, you say police is in the wrong when persecuting people who smashed the shit. Why?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    Your logic is failing. You started the sentence saying smashing shit up is not cool. Then, you say police is in the wrong when persecuting people who smashed the shit. Why?
    Try reading again. The sentences are about different subjects.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

The hell is a CHAV?
    You people from england need to learn how to speak english ffs.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm confused. What part are my taxes paying for?*

*That's pretty easy to answer, as I no longer live in London, but if I did, what would they be paying for?

My taxes would be paying for the water truck to spray all that shit into the Thames.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    The hell is a CHAV?
    When I was a kid, a chav was a Gypsy child, but used in a semi-insulting/joking way towards people, e.g. my mates and I used to call my little brother a chav, as he used to nick all the food in the house.

A lot later it changed into a general term to insult all the young scrotes, not sure why.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    When I was a kid, a chav was a Gypsy child, but used in a semi-insulting/joking way towards people. A lot later it changed into a general term to insult all the young scrotes, not sure why.
    Daily Mail.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

I spent 2 years at UL, it was full of dumb kids then, it is full of dumb kids now. The whole edgy anti-establishment bullshit. I see it is still alive and well.

When I was a kid, a chav was a Gypsy child, but used in a semi-insulting/joking way towards people, e.g. my mates and I used to call my little brother a chav, as he used to nick all the food in the house.

A lot later it changed into a general term to insult all the young scrotes, not sure why.
    What does chav mean though or how is it related to gypsies?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Daily Mail.
    The majority of people that read the Daily Mail seem to be on this site.

And my mother, who "Only buys it for the Sudoku"

The hell is a CHAV?
    Chav is an anglicized Romani (Gypsy) word, meaning child. Chavette is the female version.

I also liked Plan B's reinterpretation of the word, as Council Housed and Violent, tho truth be said, there are plenty of kids of don't fit in the latter category, but are spoiled kids acting all tough and shit.

- - - Updated - - -

The majority of people that read the Daily Mail seem to be on this site.

And my mother, who "Only buys it for the Sudoku"
    Fuck...nowadays even Google news keep bombarding me with Daily Mail links, despite the fact that I have set it to the lowest possible priority. It seems to be read a lot in the States too, which keeps pushing it to the top of the search rankings.

10+ Year Old Account
    What does chav mean though or how is it related to gypsies?
    A chavvy was what the Gypsies called their children, and Gypsies were/are stereotyped as thieves.

Where I grew up in Gravesend, Kent, there were some permanent Traveller sites (no, I don't understand how that works) and so we went to school with some Gypsy/Pikey kids, and would use some of their slang. Most of North West Kent and South East London used the same slang, but it was virtually unheard of elsewhere - even in other parts of London.

The word chav would be used when someone stole something, often used in a phrase with the word carnt, e.g. "My little bruvver is a fat farking chavvy carnt."

Fairly recently, the word chav became associated with people that looked like this...

Or with the lower classes in general, especially if they were orange...

Deleted
    The hell is a CHAV?
    It's an ENGLISH word my friend.
    http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/de...n/english/chav

For the record, i am not a daily mail reader, i am partial to the Guardian. . Also as Kalis asked what exactly our taxes are paying for, (student loans) for these reprobates to go around terrorizing faculty staff, police officers and the ordinary person on the street. If you were in London on the day, you would have been just as scared as I was seeing this swathe of angry young masses marching without having informed the borough council.

They disrupted traffic, I was late for work and also cause a lot of criminal damage. I hope the perpetrators are dealt with swiftly, covering your face and defacing public property is not my idea of "peaceful demonstration". I have been on a student protest before, but that was a much more peaceful and calmer affair, this is just uncalled for.

Also the people on this thread attacking the police officers for just doing their jobs, if you despise them so much next time when your in trouble, don't dial 999.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    I spent 2 years at UL, it was full of dumb kids then, it is full of dumb kids now. The whole edgy anti-establishment bullshit. I see it is still alive and well.
    I went to Guildhall, UL sadly has become a slightly more up market version of LMU.

Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    Because the police started persecuting people long before people started smashing shit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Requite View Post
    It's an ENGLISH word my friend.
    http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/de...n/english/chav

For the record, i am not a daily mail reader, i am partial to the Guardian. . Also as Kalis asked what exactly our taxes are paying for, (student loans) for these reprobates to go around terrorizing faculty staff, police officers and the ordinary person on the street. If you were in London on the day, you would have been just as scared as I was seeing this swathe of angry young masses marching without having informed the borough council.

They disrupted traffic, I was late for work and also cause a lot of criminal damage. I hope the perpetrators are dealt with swiftly, covering your face and defacing public property is not my idea of "peaceful demonstration". I have been on a student protest before, but that was a much more peaceful and calmer affair, this is just uncalled for.

Also the people on this thread attacking the police officers for just doing their jobs, if you despise them so much next time when your in trouble, don't dial 999.

- - - Updated - - -

I went to Guildhall, UL sadly has become a slightly more up market version of LMU.
    Are you fucking serious? People protesting against unfair treatment, and these people being the ones getting a higher education too, are chavs to you?
    "You keep using that word. I dont think it means what you think it means."