Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ahou View Post
    I saw this movie yesterday and it was good but was abit dissapointed as it was not as good as I had hoped. Mainly three things I didn't like:

First thing that I didn't like was that because it was so science heavy, they explain everything in a pretty dumb way. It's kind of surprising that the pilot didn't know how a wormhole worked for example. Had he never watched any sci-fi ever? And did they not bother brief him before sending him off?

Second thing is that they sometime they try to be as scienfic accurate as possible while sometimes just throwing everything out of the window.

Third thing, the movie was pretty drawn-out. I don't want to spend first 15 minutes watching interviews with old ppl saying how miserable the world had become.

I'ld give it 7/10
    It was not that the pilot did not know how one worked, it was that he did not know how one looked. In all Sci fi show a wormhole looks like the thing the Tardis travels through in Doctor Who. Interstellar used folding space instead of the wormhole. Probably 95% of the population does not even know what folding space is.

Ill give you throwing out all science at times, like what happens when he goes into the black hole. He should of been crushed and or burnt up long before he even got close. That disk that goes around it is super heated gas. His metal ship is ripped to shreds, but he is ok etc. Or how he "programmed" a watched while not actually being there to do so.[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]

The old people are part of the story, it makes it feel more real like a documentary.

But could of been a lot better if they stuck to actual science and did not go off the rails, that is really what got to me. I'de have given it a 9/10 till that part. But due to going off the rails 7/10.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't like how insulting it was to the intelligence of the audience but I understand why it had to be like that. Did like how it looked, especially in IMAX. Not as good as Gone Girl for me and likely won't be able to top Nightcrawler and Birdman either but it was still an okay movie.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wrote a long post reaffirming Shinra but it got lost somehow...

Anyway, Plan B was successful because of Cooper being able to save Brand. The Plan B's become "They", the 5th dimension humans while Cooper gets stuck almost in his own reality (well time stream due to plunging into the black hole). "They" either remember that Cooper got stuck in the black hole or could see him with their extra perspective so they put the Tessaract in Coopers path. Their goal was for Cooper to reach out to Murphy so that she could accomplish Plan A, which failed initially.

Some ask how come They couldn't leave bigger clues. They could see all points in time but because time is infinite to them there is no start or end, they cannot pinpoint where to send the message. Cooper could because he only had a finite view of time and still a 3D being. They gave Cooper a view of every instance of time Murphy' bookcase existed in so that he could reach out to her. The hole is how he got NASA's hiding spot, which led him to the mission in the first place or maybe someone explained that.

Anyway he reaches out to Murphy who is then able to solve Plan A. That also means that she knows he is stuck in some sort of time wrap, which only a black hole could do, thus they knew where Cooper was at. At the end of the movie you can say that Cooper meets up with Brand, with prompted They to intercept Cooper in the first place at some point in the future so that he could save Plan A... The loop is essentially broken when mankind transcends to the 5th dimension where time is infinite.

You sort of have to suspend belief when it comes to the black hole because there is nothing that indicates that he could survive crossing the event horizon or why the sheer amount of Gs and radiation didn't kill him. Also the NASA coordinates...
    Last edited by PACOX; 2014-11-12 at 12:44 AM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post

Some ask how come They couldn't leave bigger clues. They could see all points in time but because time is infinite to them there is no start or end, they cannot pinpoint where to send the message. Cooper could because he only had a finite view of time and still a 3D being. They gave Cooper a view of every instance of time Murphy' bookcase existed in so that he could reach out to her. The hole is how he got NASA's hiding spot, which led him to the mission in the first place or maybe someone explained that.

I could have sworn that the STAY message was received by childhood Murphy after the NASA coordinates were at the beginning of the movie. Was that because in the tesseract/5th dimension, since he can see every single instance of the scene where he's in the bedroom before he leaves, he basically floated to the point in time where he is about to leave to send the STAY message? Failing that, floating to another point in time after the dust storm to provide the NASA coordinates? Then, finally, a 3rd point where he sent the message through the watch? It seemed like there was no real meaning of time within the tesseract/5th dimension which allowed him to send the messages in the order that he sent them in.

Also, I was kind of confused on why they would even decide to visit Miller's planet at all given how old the data was. If 1 hour was 7 years, wouldn't that have meant the data from Miller was really only a few hours old if not shorter?

Quote Originally Posted by obake1 View Post
    I could have sworn that the STAY message was received by childhood Murphy after the NASA coordinates were at the beginning of the movie. Was that because in the tesseract/5th dimension, since he can see every single instance of the scene where he's in the bedroom before he leaves, he basically floated to the point in time where he is about to leave to send the STAY message? Failing that, floating to another point in time after the dust storm to provide the NASA coordinates? Then, finally, a 3rd point where he sent the message through the watch? It seemed like there was no real meaning of time within the tesseract/5th dimension which allowed him to send the messages in the order that he sent them in.

Also, I was kind of confused on why they would even decide to visit Miller's planet at all given how old the data was. If 1 hour was 7 years, wouldn't that have meant the data from Miller was really only a few hours old if not shorter?
    The data being fresh is only a plus. Also, they might have been able to pick her up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where are you guys getting that "they" were Brand's ppl farm? I understood it to just be humanity as a whole in the future as they became "5th dimensional" beings. Brand was on Miller's planet which was outside of the black hole's time altering effect. I was under the impression she was going to set up shop and let CASE handle things while she napped waiting for the embryos to hatch. In which case Cooper is gonna come get her and let her know Murph saved humanity.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by obake1 View Post

I'm pretty sure the water planet was the only one with the time issue, that's why Cooper didn't want to go there at first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

10+ Year Old Account
    So, we all agree it was a single timeline, similar to HP: Prisoner of Azkaban? Or am I missing something?

If that's so, I don't get people saying Nolan intended to make the black hole scene a major plot twist, it's pretty obvious Cooper was somehow sending messages all along, right from the moment Murph decoded the STAY message. It wasn't a "twist" by any means tbh, but merely a plot point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Saw it this week, it is simply a masterpiece. Better than Inception in my opinion, and yea is the best i've ever seen. This Christopher Nolan shouldn't die never/ever. A great visionary nevertheless

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    So, we all agree it was a single timeline, similar to HP: Prisoner of Azkaban? Or am I missing something?

If that's so, I don't get people saying Nolan intended to make the black hole scene a major plot twist, it's pretty obvious Cooper was somehow sending messages all along, right from the moment Murph decoded the STAY message. It wasn't a "twist" by any means tbh, but merely a plot point.
    Ya, it was a single loop since nothing was changed.
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    Where are you guys getting that "they" were Brand's ppl farm? I understood it to just be humanity as a whole in the future as they became "5th dimensional" beings. Brand was on Miller's planet which was outside of the black hole's time altering effect. I was under the impression she was going to set up shop and let CASE handle things while she napped waiting for the embryos to hatch. In which case Cooper is gonna come get her and let her know Murph saved humanity.
    We know that "They" were the Plan B humans because up until the end of the movie only the Plan B humans survived the death/collapse of Earth. Plan A was lost until Cooper was able to reach out to Murphy in the Tesseract but by that [I]time [/I] (because of time dilation from being inside the black hole, think Miller's planet but amplified) the humans on Earth were dead. The Tesseract allowed Cooper to view moments of time (for the bookcase) at once, so he was able to find Murphy and lead her to eventually solve the problem of Plan A (side bar: Plan B descendants solved the problem and used the Tesseract+Cooper to give the answer/clues to Plan A humans aka Murphy). When Plan A was solved (there are multiple reasons/explanations, I haven't decided on one yet), the Tesseract was no more and Cooper was ejected from the black hole and time sort of "corrected" itself, this time both Plan A and B were successful.

I find it odd that a lot of people skim over the metaphysical aspects of the movie. Its heavily science based with the astronauts and scientist pretty rigid scientific realist. The only scientist who wasn't that way was Murphy. At a wrong age she was criticized for a believe in ghost and curiosity with the unexplained.

Brand's problem (daddy brand) was that he is too rigid and threw up his hands before really trying (we see Murphy touch on this when she is trying to solve the equation. She didn't know that he had already thrown in the towel though). We see how rigid and stubborn we are when Brand (baby Brand) gets tunnel vision and fucks everything up for essentially 5 min old data, getting on man killed and leaving another in solitary confinement for years (almost no one mentions how tragic his story is. 20+ years alone in orbit when being told that they were coming right back).

We see it in Mann who is willing to jeopardize and kill others so that he can personally ensure Plan B works.

We see it in Cooper who denies shit happening right in front of his face. The one thing "love", which was deemed intangible at first, it was drove them to the make the [I]correct[/I] decisions. We first see them fail to take the hint we they go to Mann's planet, almost ending everything. It was love that got Murphy to return to the farm to save her brother. It was love that got Cooper to dive into the black hole. Without love neither events would have happened and Plan A would have been lost because it too both events to successfully pass down the solution (man this movie is complex) that would save Plan A. In the end love became a very real thing and not just a chemical reaction.

TLDR: The entire movie is actually about love. The WHOLE THING.

10+ Year Old Account
    Without reading too much, and spoiling the movie for myself, what movies can this be compared to, and can someone rate it x/10?

Quote Originally Posted by mykro9 View Post
    Without reading too much, and spoiling the movie for myself, what movies can this be compared to, and can someone rate it x/10?
    We have a whole thread of people rating movies out of 10, a lot of the recents ratings is for Interstellar. I guess Interstellar could be called a mix of 2001, Apollo 13 / The Right Stuff, a tiny bit of Gravity and a lot of Christopher Nolan.

10+ Year Old Account
    We know that "They" were the Plan B humans because up until the end of the movie only the Plan B humans survived the death/collapse of Earth. Plan A was lost until Cooper was able to reach out to Murphy in the Tesseract but by that [I]time [/I] (because of time dilation from being inside the black hole, think Miller's planet but amplified) the humans on Earth were dead. The Tesseract allowed Cooper to view moments of time (for the bookcase) at once, so he was able to find Murphy and lead her to eventually solve the problem of Plan A (side bar: Plan B descendants solved the problem and used the Tesseract+Cooper to give the answer/clues to Plan A humans aka Murphy). When Plan A was solved (there are multiple reasons/explanations, I haven't decided on one yet), the Tesseract was no more and Cooper was ejected from the black hole and time sort of "corrected" itself, this time both Plan A and B were successful.

I find it odd that a lot of people skim over the metaphysical aspects of the movie. Its heavily science based with the astronauts and scientist pretty rigid scientific realist. The only scientist who wasn't that way was Murphy. At a wrong age she was criticized for a believe in ghost and curiosity with the unexplained.

Brand's problem (daddy brand) was that he is too rigid and threw up his hands before really trying (we see Murphy touch on this when she is trying to solve the equation. She didn't know that he had already thrown in the towel though). We see how rigid and stubborn we are when Brand (baby Brand) gets tunnel vision and fucks everything up for essentially 5 min old data, getting on man killed and leaving another in solitary confinement for years (almost no one mentions how tragic his story is. 20+ years alone in orbit when being told that they were coming right back).

We see it in Mann who is willing to jeopardize and kill others so that he can personally ensure Plan B works.

We see it in Cooper who denies shit happening right in front of his face. The one thing "love", which was deemed intangible at first, it was drove them to the make the [I]correct[/I] decisions. We first see them fail to take the hint we they go to Mann's planet, almost ending everything. It was love that got Murphy to return to the farm to save her brother. It was love that got Cooper to dive into the black hole. Without love neither events would have happened and Plan A would have been lost because it too both events to successfully pass down the solution (man this movie is complex) that would save Plan A. In the end love became a very real thing and not just a chemical reaction.

TLDR: The entire movie is actually about love. The WHOLE THING.
    Humanity never died out on Earth though. The whole time altering issue when Coop entered the black hole was irrelevant because he had already sent back the formula to Murphy. There weren't any alternate timelines in the movie.

10+ Year Old Account
    Humanity never died out on Earth though. The whole time altering issue when Coop entered the black hole was irrelevant because he had already sent back the formula to Murphy. There weren't any alternate timelines in the movie.
    It happens but it doesn't happen. Murphy doesn't get the formula until Cooper falls into the black hole. If Cooper falls into the black hole then time beyond beyond the influence of the black hole leaves him behind or the whole thing with Miller's planet is a giant plot hole. If Plan A never fails then the Tesseract wouldn't need to be in the black hole, if the Tessacrat wasn't in the black hole then Cooper probably would've just died. There is either time dilation or there isn't.

So as Cooper orbits and then enters the black hole, Plan A fails. He goes to the Tesseract where he can see all instances of time (limited to the bookcase though). He reaches through time to set off a series of events where Plan A is a success. With Plan A now a success, there is no need for the Tesseract, Cooper is spit out of the black hole. Murphy waits for him because he will be thrust back into our dimension when he is done doing his do (helping to save humanity).

Or I really don't want to be wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    We have a whole thread of people rating movies out of 10, a lot of the recents ratings is for Interstellar. I guess Interstellar could be called a mix of 2001, Apollo 13 / The Right Stuff, a tiny bit of Gravity and a lot of Christopher Nolan.
    Thanks, this is exactly the description I was looking for.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkaneer View Post
    It was not that the pilot did not know how one worked, it was that he did not know how one looked. In all Sci fi show a wormhole looks like the thing the Tardis travels through in Doctor Who. Interstellar used folding space instead of the wormhole. Probably 95% of the population does not even know what folding space is.

Ill give you throwing out all science at times, like what happens when he goes into the black hole. He should of been crushed and or burnt up long before he even got close. That disk that goes around it is super heated gas. His metal ship is ripped to shreds, but he is ok etc. Or how he "programmed" a watched while not actually being there to do so.[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]

The old people are part of the story, it makes it feel more real like a documentary.

But could of been a lot better if they stuck to actual science and did not go off the rails, that is really what got to me. I'de have given it a 9/10 till that part. But due to going off the rails 7/10.

You realize they consulted with one of the top astrophysicists in the world, right? They got the science as right as we can as a species. Your assumptions about what might happen when entering a black hole are based off the science from the guy they used to help write the movie.

The old people are actually from a documentary about the Dust Bowl back in the 1930's - Nolan found the footage while doing research and decided to use them rather than "actors" because it had a more real feeling to it.

- - - Updated - - -

You actually don't know that from the movie. All we have at the end is the new station outside the wormhole, with no information about what is going on with Earth.
    Last edited by cubby; 2014-11-14 at 07:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    You realize they consulted with one of the top astrophysicists in the world, right? They got the science as right as we can as a species. Your assumptions about what might happen when entering a black hole are based off the science from the guy they used to help write the movie.

The old people are actually from a documentary about the Dust Bowl back in the 1930's - Nolan found the footage while doing research and decided to use them rather than "actors" because it had a more real feeling to it.

- - - Updated - - -

You actually don't know that from the movie. All we have at the end is the new station outside the wormhole, with no information about what is going on with Earth.
    Well ya, I meant that Plan A worked. I think it's implied that the Blight rendered Earth uninhabitable. Poor choice of words on my part, I was just saying the humans from earth didn't go extinct.

- - - Updated - - -

It happens but it doesn't happen. Murphy doesn't get the formula until Cooper falls into the black hole. If Cooper falls into the black hole then time beyond beyond the influence of the black hole leaves him behind or the whole thing with Miller's planet is a giant plot hole. If Plan A never fails then the Tesseract wouldn't need to be in the black hole, if the Tessacrat wasn't in the black hole then Cooper probably would've just died. There is either time dilation or there isn't.

So as Cooper orbits and then enters the black hole, Plan A fails. He goes to the Tesseract where he can see all instances of time (limited to the bookcase though). He reaches through time to set off a series of events where Plan A is a success. With Plan A now a success, there is no need for the Tesseract, Cooper is spit out of the black hole. Murphy waits for him because he will be thrust back into our dimension when he is done doing his do (helping to save humanity).

Or I really don't want to be wrong.
    As he enters the black hole he has already sent the other half of the formula back, but he doesn't know that yet. Just like he had already sent the NASA coordinates back and the "stay" message to himself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aero- View Post
    "Starring: Matthew McConaughey".

No, thank you.
    Why? He's a stud.
    Start trying to work out who deserves what, and before long you’ll spend the rest of your days weeping for each and every person in the world.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aero- View Post
    "Starring: Matthew McConaughey".

No, thank you.
    Those pesky Academy Award winners are usually really bad - I'd skip it too, if I were you.

Its already happened. When we are watching the beginning of the movie then end has already happened and time is set in place. It just has to play out for us the viewer from beginning to end. Personally I don't think time travel is possible. All you would end up doing is creating an alternate universe and cease to exists in your original one the second you went back.

So maybe two universes here. Mcconaughey 1 goes back into time to set the events in motion and we are following Mcconaughey 2 who follows the path created by 1. When 2 ends up in the Tessract 1 and 2 become the same having both ended up in the same place. I don't know, as I told my friends after the movie its best not to think to hard about ending and just enjoy the ride.
    My System
    Ivy Bridge 3570k OC 4.0
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Saphire 290
    Mushkin Enhanced Blackline Frostbyte DDR3 1600 8GB