Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Strakha View Post
    teamspeak though is terrible and should be burned in an incan temple fire.
    I don't understand the hate for Teamspeak. Mumble is literally the worst VOIP besides maybe Razercoms. Skype is also garbage for VOIP I don't want to hear your ambient noises. Teamspeak 3 has been very excellent for my group of friends and this is coming from someone who used Ventrilo for 8 odd years. Why so much hate for TS.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Scinder View Post
    I have them all, at least the most popular ones.

Mumble: easy to use, setup and is less annoying than vent. I also think that the voice quality is better. It's also pretty cheap. UI sucks but nothing is perfect. My preferred voice chat program.
    Vent: Really dislike vent. Whenever it's used, I have to spend half the raid adjusting voice volume on almost every person in the channel among other annoyances. I won't use it unless I have to.
    Teamspeak: Sucked for a long time but this was over a decade ago. Now it's gotten much better but I only use it when I play DayZ.
    Skype: It's ok, can't really complain about it but I don't like people using it to contact me. Wait till you see me in game unless I like you enough to have my cell #.
    Raidcall: Early beta was kinda crappy but I like it now. It's a little less user friendly than all of the above but it's free still I believe.

That all said. If you're joining my guilds raid or a guild event and we tell you that we use Mumble. You can either download it or leave. If a player can't be bothered to hit a download link and install then I have no use for them. It literally takes 30-60 seconds.
    Im sorry but what? Mumble was the most annoying of the three to set up. Individual licenses? I can't use one name on a computer because its tied to my laptops mumble its just a horrible mess.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirino View Post
    I don't understand the hate for Teamspeak. Mumble is literally the worst VOIP besides maybe Razercoms. Skype is also garbage for VOIP I don't want to hear your ambient noises. Teamspeak 3 has been very excellent for my group of friends and this is coming from someone who used Ventrilo for 8 odd years. Why so much hate for TS.

- - - Updated - - -

Im sorry but what? Mumble was the most annoying of the three to set up. Individual licenses? I can't use one name on a computer because its tied to my laptops mumble its just a horrible mess.
    I've been using it for years and have never had an issue with Mumble. Maybe it's the user...

Mumble and TS are both miles better than VT, in both quality and latency.

VT is soooo 2007, dunno why ppl are still using it.
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

10+ Year Old Account
    I cringe if I pug and they are using Vent. Hate having to adjust the volume on everyone.

As a raid leader, I also cringe because getting people into mumble is like pulling teeth sometimes, but I'd rather go through that pain than listen to crappy vent for 3 hours. But I'm sorry if you find Mumble configuration a bit confusing, I know it could use some help, but honestly if you're not savvy enough to figure it out in under 10 minutes, you're probably not a very good raider. I don't say that to be mean, I know Mumble isn't intuitive, it takes a bit of understanding to make work, but if you're not willing to invest that time to use a higher sound quality/lower latency chat client, then you probably don't have the patience to handle complex raid mechanics.

I prefer TS because I find mumble annoying to set up. Vent is just complete shit.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Except if you're playing legion xd
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyoken View Post
    The day I die I want the shaman class developers to lower me into my grave so they can let me down one last time.......

Deleted
    tbh they all work fine if you set them up. I find the default settings on mumble less than ideal and it takes quite some digging to get it up to par, but it does have more flexibility and is probably better when set up properly. The whole certificate thing is awful though.
    Vent just seems to have the best of both, no issues with TS personally but generally dislike the lack of options.
    Raidcall can diaf
    Skype I won't use, the sound quality is terrible, and it's so intrusive it wants to change ALL my default settings for my outbound sound mixer and screws with all the default levels in windows.

edit; other than skype i've not noticed any latency that would cause problems. Largely depends where the server is based and the network of people using it. Maybe it's a US thing for latency? :/

10+ Year Old Account
    All of the options are pretty much the same. They all have a few things they do well and a few things to find fault with. Raidcall is still free sooooo

Kind of an easy decision.

As for why the hate on Mumble it probably has to do with a less intuitive configuration (though nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be).
    Nominated Most Average Healer Ever
    My Shaman: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...omous/advanced
    My Monk: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...tamus/advanced
    Pokemon Y FC: 1736-1594-7603 // Name: Human?
    Ghost Safari: Shuppet, Phantump, Golurk

Quote Originally Posted by Redsparowe View Post
    edit; other than skype i've not noticed any latency that would cause problems. Largely depends where the server is based and the network of people using it. Maybe it's a US thing for latency? :/
    US/Internet provider Probably. I haven't really noticed this magical latency difference between Vent or Mumble though.
    Latency, to my understanding has ALWAYS been related to ISP and network, and when Servers or your own ISP is acting up. Now I can understand maybe something to optimize connection, but if 'latency' is high, something either a) on your end b) on their end c) something inbetween, like a data center.

Can perfectly see how the auto voice tunning would be nice, and such, but would be nice to be just a little easier. And to have a personal volume control on certain people would be amazing...Though it could be in there just never found it.

Deleted
    Because I don't want to install 35345 voice chat applications, just because someone thinks you should do so. Either is sufficient to have a voice chat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirino View Post
    Irony.

You don't have to register your name then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

I see more unreasoned hate of Teamspeak than Mumble personally. I mean the first reply in this thread was slagging it off out of hand.

Downloading & setting up any new program is a pain, I think that's what most of the grumbling is about personally.

For quality, I'd rate them Current Teamspeak > Mumble > Vent.

Current incarnation of teamspeak has gone through a lot of development work & is very full featured + efficient. Try it before you slag it off - most people who give teamspeak crap are insulting 5+ year old memories or going off what other people said.

Mumble is efficient, small, but foolishly ideologically driven at points (i.e. volume control) and sacrifices extended functionality.

Vent stopped being actively developed years ago, and it shows.

Personally, my guild uses Vent. Apathy wins out - plus we haven't resolved the differences of opinion between the pro-mumble & pro-teamspeak groups.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because it doesn't make any real difference and you already have vent working and downloaded and yet some jackass is trying to push mumble because "its better" when in reality it makes no appreciable difference.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

10+ Year Old Account
    We use mumble for our raid team. No one wanted to pay for ventrilo anymore and it works great for us. Never even heard of anyone using teamspeak before.

I have all three clients just so that i can interact with the very few derp groups that insist on using team speak. Mumble is by far the better sound quality with no adjustments needed and lowest resource user.

And if you like vent then you would probably also be satisfied with running a string between tin cans to each of your raider's homes.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    Because it doesn't make any real difference and you already have vent working and downloaded and yet some jackass is trying to push mumble because "its better" when in reality it makes no appreciable difference.
    In fairness, the built in delay on vent is actually kinda significant (even without latency).

But unless you're calling heroic raids on the fly, it probably doesn't matter.

Both TS & Mumble are good. Here's an example of someone demonstrating it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gblGcmtnJTY

Teamspeak 3 is god tier. Ventrillo is complete and utter shit.

I don't mind mumble, but IMO TS3 is better.
    Druid | UI | Youtube
    R1 & 14x Glad PvPer
    Honestly US 2nd / Ally World 1st

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    For years I think mumble/teamspeak were the beta video to vent being vhs. Yah that's pretty much changed. The part about voip that always pissed me off was no automatic level settings for incoming levels. One week johhny is a whisper in a cup of mud, next week he's fuckin chewbaka yelling 'wopper no onions!!!' at the drive through...
    I understand mic position being a major factor but for the love of god could we get auto gain compensation, a little compression and some limiting over the whole works without 45 clicks to set it up?
    Maybe shit's changed, but that was always my impression of it.
    But hey, I am an audio guy, I'm possibly more finicky about that shit.
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.