Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Yes, I am pretty ignorant on the Military and the people that serve in it.
    I was referring to life in general if you're ok with people shoplifting and don't understand that someone stopping said thief is just being a good samaritan, being a Marine in this case is virtually irrelevant other than it probably gave him the confidence and ability to stop the person.

Would you be ok with someone coming into your house while your not there taking everything, after all no one got hurt or would you hope that if someone saw it they would stop the thief?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    I was referring to life in general if you're ok with people shoplifting and don't understand that someone stopping said thief is just being a good samaritan, being a Marine in this case is virtually irrelevant other than it probably gave him the confidence and ability to stop the person.

Would you be ok with someone coming into your house while your not there taking everything, after all no one got hurt or would you hope that if someone saw it they would stop the thief?
    Thievery of personal property is different to thievery from a business, do not pretend you cannot see the difference.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BaP View Post
    Its everybody's job to help stop CRIME.
    this - any civilian can (at least where i live - citizen's arrest) and should stop shoplifting or e.g. bag-snatching if they see it.

Thievery of personal property is different to thievery from a business, do not pretend you cannot see the difference.
    But is there really a difference when it comes to stopping it from being committed?

Would there be any difference if he had stopped someone from robbing his neighbors rather than some store in a mall?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-cleave View Post
    But is there really a difference when it comes to stopping it from being committed?

Would there be any difference if he had stopped someone from robbing his neighbors rather than some store in a mall?
    Of course, I find it hard to believe you cannot see the difference. There are many different types and categories of crime, some are harmful and some are merely irritating.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just yesterday, I was at the store and right as I was entering, 4 teens/kids maybe 12ish were sprinting out of the store w/ their pockets full. I could have easily stepped infront of one of them and they'd crash to the floor from running into me, but it's a non violent crime. I'm not an officer, it's not my job to risk my safety to uphold the law. Now if one of those kids wanted to grab my wallet in the process, i'd have no issue w/ picking them up and slamming them to the ground.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    Just yesterday, I was at the store and right as I was entering, 4 teens/kids maybe 12ish were sprinting out of the store w/ their pockets full. I could have easily stepped infront of one of them and they'd crash to the floor from running into me, but it's a non violent crime. I'm not an officer, it's not my job to risk my safety to uphold the law. Now if one of those kids wanted to grab my wallet in the process, i'd have no issue w/ picking them up and slamming them to the ground.
    Not everyone can be a man, if you are too scared you will be hurt its ok.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

But that quote doesnt say anything about scared males. I think scared males, women and children are excluded.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    Not everyone can be a man, if you are too scared you will be hurt its ok.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

But that quote doesnt say anything about scared males. I think scared males, women and children are excluded.
    Have you ever been really scared in your life? As in life or death? It is not worth feeling that over a few nicked CDs from a shop.

Have you ever been really scared in your life? As in life or death? It is not worth feeling that over a few nicked CDs from a shop.
    If it scares you dont get involved. But dont try to justify it. I like to be mean to criminals, its like a license to do bad stuff in a good way.

Of course, I find it hard to believe you cannot see the difference. There are many different types and categories of crime, some are harmful and some are merely irritating.
    Shoplifting isn't "merely irritating". If I'm a store manager or owner, and some dude walks out with a ton of merch, it's terrible. I just lost out on a ton of business, and it's greatly harmful to my store.

Likewise, if someone breaks into my house and steals my computer, my tv, etc, it's harmful, because I have to replace everything.

I'm not talking about other types of crime. THis isn't a discussion about murder or assault (though you should try to stop those in any case), this is about thievery-type crime. Neither robbery nor shoplifting is "merely irritating." All crime is inherently harmful; that's what makes it crime.

It is not a Marines job to stop shoplifters, leave it to the police and security.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizen's_arrest

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Im not sure of the validity of this statement, but someone who was in the army for a few years told me they cant physically harm other members of the public, regardless of how morally corrupt those people may be, since they are classed as weapons and are trained in combat, and doing so earns them a hefty punishment.
    I think that was robocop.

Honestly he thinks petty theft constitues evil. Why bother.

It is not a Marines job to stop shoplifters, leave it to the police and security.
    This is the problem with society today, "its not my job, leave it to others"
    Even police will tell you that very rarely can they stop crime in progress, to many people, not enough officers. I strongly believe that people should stand up for other people and help when they're in trouble, and do what they can when they see a crime in progress. People today are such pussies.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    I'm coming down on the side of the man who saw a crime being committed and decided he wasn't going to allow it to happen just because he had no legal responsibility to intervene.

He did nothing criminal, he did nothing illegal, he didn't cause anyone to be injured, and he assisted the police in apprehending a criminal. What did he do wrong, and why was it wrong?

Edit: And yeah, it's evil. Is it as evil as murder? Obviously not. But it's still immoral.

10+ Year Old Account
    He did right, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
    All citizens should be like him. You have the majority of people just ignoring things like this, "not my problem".
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

I'm confused why his military status has anything to do with anything. This should just be a case of an upstanding citizen upholding the law.
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

Position of what's that word... Fuck can't of it but that. Anyone with it is hated on...Position of starts with an A why can't i think of it this is fucking nuts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Shoplifting IS bad. Not as bad as other things but it doesn't mean the guy should of left him get away.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Shoplifting IS bad. Not as bad as other things but it doesn't mean the guy should of left him get away.
    Evil is thrown around too much.