Thread: Upgrade help

Deleted

Upgrade help

So I recently had to make a quick purchase of a new pc as my old one suddenly bust and I need a home pc for work so as a quick replacement I have this:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/deskto....html#longDesc

It really is budget as it can barely run DayZ and just about handles WoW and CS:GO so the question is, as I get my lovely small pay cheques over time where and with what should I upgrade first? I'm competent enough to put it together but I'm completely blurry when it comes to whether components are compatible and the like. Preferably I'd like to upgrade the GFX card first but like I said, whatever it can run with what its got. I also have a large spare case if components start getting big with upgrades.

Current Spec if you dont want to click the link:

CPU: AMD A8-6500 APU (3.5 ghz 4.1 ghz with turbo core, 4MB cache)
    RAM: 6GB DDR3
    GFX: AMD Radeon HD 8670D (1GB card)
    MOBO: AMD A75 FCH Chipset
    PSU: 300W

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated

Deleted
    PSU, then get a discrete GPU, then CPU/mobo. The PSUs used in those are deisnged for pretty much office-use only.

Deleted
    I'm sorry if I sound like a novice but you don't learn if you don't ask right? :P

1) So there's nothing wrong with un-mounting it from the small case it's currently in and mounting it into my large spare case?

2) is a 'discrete' graphics card one that does not physically connect to the motherboard or something like that? It doesn't need to take extra power from the mobo?

3) Can I pull the 6GB DDR3 RAM out of my old machine and just plug it right into my new one? it has two channels free.
    Last edited by mmoc1252a3496d; 2013-12-20 at 08:30 PM.

Deleted
    1) Yes you can switch cases.

2) A discrete graphics card will use a PCI-e slot on the motherboard and require its own power cables.

3) Its generally not a good idea to mix RAM.

Deleted
    And I can't use an Nvidia card with that set up can I? I'm stuck with AMD?

10+ Year Old Account
    It's hard to tell what you can and cant use, since the motherboard isn't listed, and all the pictures on that website are broken =/

EDIT: I think it's this so you should be able to add a GPU (ATI or nVidia, doesn't really matter), but yeah... You'll likely want to upgrade the PSU as well... those "300w" ones are rarely more than 200 in actuality.
    Last edited by chazus; 2013-12-20 at 11:47 PM.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab